[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: Selected Ambient Works 85-92.jpg (96 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Selected Ambient Works 85-92.jpg
96 KB, 1000x1000
Thoughts?
>>
>>65066129
not as good as the sequel
>>
File: Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2.jpg (408 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2.jpg
408 KB, 600x600
>>65066193
If there is one album that could match the feelings this one gave me, it's SAW 2. But yeah i have to prefer this one because of Aegispolis and Heliosphan.
>>
>>65066315
Volume 2 is the best ambient album ever I.M.O. Nothing beats that atmosphere, though Current 93's Live at Bar Maldoror is a contender.
>>
Basicly suc m'nuts OP, that abum is DAAANK
>>
>>65066353
Music for Airports has to be a contender for me, but yeah Vol 2 is like standing in a powerhouse on acid, as the man himself said concerning it. Powerful stuff.
>>
Vol 2 is probably better (Rhubarb and Lichen>every song every made) but I definitely go straight to 85-92 when I'm drunk and want to feel warm and safe

if I close my eyes and listen to Xtal I feel like I'm sitting in the corner of a bar in space 100 years from now
>>
>>65066129
highly overrated honestly, it's still pretty good but it's nowhere close to being one of his best
>>
>>65066315
>>65066353
>>65066489
>>65066534
ITT: people who haven't heard of Gas

SAW > SAW2, but both are pretty middle-of-the-road as far as good electronic music goes. i like them, and they helped get me into exploring electronic music in general, but SAW is the only thing from him that interests me anymore and it's not particularly often that i feel like spinning it.
>>
>>65066560
Im a big RDJ FanBoi, so i would love to know: Which of his albums is the best (in your opinion)?
>>
>>65066560
It was ahead of its time. Why don't people ever think about context.
>>
>>65066600
You fuck I listen to Gas literally every night
>>
>>65066600
Suggestions?
>>
>>65066600
Nigga, I've heard several Gas albums and it comes nowhere close. It's just droning synths over a techno beat, it's nothing like SAW 2.
>>
>>65066606
it's actually hard to say, it changes for me depending on my mood honestly. probably between rdja, drukqs, sawii, and rushup edge
>>65066618
I'm fully aware it was insanely ahead of its time, what I'm saying is that in retrospect it's not nearly as interesting as his other works when taken for the music in itself
>>65066627
this
honestly though I think gas has hit the level of sawii a few times
>>
Good album, love Xtal and Tha
>>
pretty good stuff mate
>>
>>65066627
so you prefer SAW2 to the vastly superior works of an artist you listen to every night? weird.

>>65066628
of what kind?

>>65066645
Gas's sound design is top tier. i understand at a certain point it just reaches subjective levels, and i'm really only being a bit of a cunt 'cause i'm on /mu/, but i seriously prefer his method of getting you into a groove to seduce you into the soundscape, adding layer after layer, and gradually dropping out elements so you're left in freefall. SAW2 has some interesting ideas, but it seems kind of sparse for me as far as active listening goes, where i can either actively pay attention to Gas for hours and hours or fall asleep to his music. i also think SAW2 just doesn't scratch the itch i want from more pop-oriented electronic music, and the stuff it succeeds at is better executed by actual art electronic composers. no shade to his fans, though. just different strokes when i say that, and i don't want this to come off as a pissing match where my taste is more l33t than yours or something.
>>
>>65066673
>drukqs
That would have been so good if it had been split into two separate albums as originally intended, one for piano tracks and the other for techno breakbeat type tracks. The piano ones were his best shit since the ambient works.
>>
>>65066673
But you said it was overrated, and I'm inferring there's a reason why people rate it so highly, regardless of the rest of his discography.
>>
This thread is doing a lot better so let me riposte:

Did you know that Aphex Twin gave "special thanks" to the evil serial killers Jeffrey Dahmer and Albert Fish on one of his tracks?

RDJ has done some edgy and novel things in his career, but this odd shout-out stands out as one of the few things that is really in conventionally-poor taste.

Go to about 5:33, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sabZrjY_7U [Embed]

This is the "Crowsmengegus" mix of Ventolin, which originally appeared on the FIRST Ventolin EP of which there were basically two (six tracks each), which were released and compiled in a wide variety of versions. The overall work is 12 tracks, but they were commonly available as two separate EPs in a series. The second E.P. is sometimes styled Ventolin (Remixes) despite the fact that both were purportedly remixes of the same base track.

This track really consists of three bits. There is one bit of music, followed by a different bit of music. To close the track (and the release), a spoken list of shout-outs are given, including usual suspects (Mike Paradinas, "Mike P", Cylob, RDJ's parents, and the jarring serial killer nod. RDJ would have been anywhere from c. 22-24 when he recorded this thing, which was subsequently released.

The "spoken-word" shout-out list was later re-released on a compilation (51/13) as the "respect list", and is in some other thing too I think (words & music? no!)
>>
Honestly, I love Aphex Twin, and I realise how influential this album is, but that's just the thing.

This album has been copied so many times that you've probably already heard everything on hear 30 times at least.
>>
Overrated, a few songs are pretty good but most of it sounds very outdated. SAW II is even more overrated, sounds like baby's first introduction to ambient.
>>
>>65066673
Rushup edge is amazing, and so is Drukqs. good taste.
>>
>>65066645
jesus christ
off yourself m8
>>
>>65066735
>so you prefer SAW2 to the vastly superior works of an artist you listen to every night? weird.
I'm not that anon, but my favorite albums are the ones that I listen to sparingly. If I really love an album then I can't listen to it on a casual basis.

>Gas's sound design is top tier
It doesn't impress me. If you're going to listen to music for sound design, then just listen to Noisia. Gas just makes sounds that anyone with an analog synth can do, and his music doesn't have the gorgeous progressions and >muh lofi production of early 'phex.
>>
>>65066746
That's really creepy, i never bothered to listen to the last part very closely. i heard Albert Fish but Jeffery Dahmer was too distorted for me to hear properly,

On the topic of creepy RDJ shit, here's the creepiest thing he's put into a song in my opinion: the intro to milkman decoded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw46dn01J0Y
>>
>>65066773

As to your latter point, I don't agree at all. I've heard loads of ambient following SAW II, even went back into Eno since that was the big complaint. I don't care for Eno very much.

SAW II just has all the moods in one package, done in a very humane way so that you can actually latch onto bits, too, and not just feel sad in a corner-though there are tracks for that too, of course. I've been listening to it for like 16 years, and I have yet to get sick of it. Writing this makes me want to put it on again.

Eno, Andrew Chalk, Baths, NWW, dark ambient general, Arktau Eos, Halo Manash, Sigillum S, Thomas Koner, metgumbnerbone, etc, etc, etc. they're cool (actually, Eno is the one who's overrated), but they've got nothing on this. Nothing. And part of the joy of being human is that I get to wear nostalgia goggles and defend my subjective opinion on a music forum. SAW II was what did it for me, and got me going on this. I have yet to hear anything that really tops it, as an album.
>>
>>65066735
Any good stuff like this. I scoured all the corners of Richards discography and crave more stuff like it (IDM/Braindance).

I found this guy in my hunt, amazing artist. one of the best.
>>
>>65066745
fair enough, I just think some people allow nostalgia to tint how they view it
>>
>>65066645
Who tf ks gas
>>
>>65067252
A guy who made ambient techno in the late '90s up to 2000. It's basically just analog synth drones and none of it is engaging on any level. It's like elevator muzak for the techno scene.
>>
>>65067252
ambient techno dude
look up the albums zauerberg, königsforst, and pop
>>
>>65066129
Never listened to this sort of music much but I just checked this one out last night and I really enjoyed it. Volume 2 seems to be the next stop, but what other stuff like it should I listen to?
>>
File: 2010 - Returnal.jpg (756 KB, 2174x2174) Image search: [Google]
2010 - Returnal.jpg
756 KB, 2174x2174
>>65067305
I don't think I've heard any other music that has the same type of sound and mood as Volume 2, but pic related is a good ambient album
>>
>>65067305
go through his entire discography
then listen to autechre's first three albums (the first two are similar to the SAWs, the third is good entry-level "idm,") and if you like them try their later stuff too
then listen to Gas - Nah und Fern (a compilation of his 4 albums)
then try boards of canada's first two officially released albums
>>
>>65067305
Try out any artists on the rephlex label, since a lot of what's on there is similar to what Aphex usually does. If you like this try out Syro and The Richard D James Album. as for artist's to try out:

Squarepusher
Mu-Ziq
Luke Vibert/Plug/Wagon Christ
Wisp
Dave Monolith
Autechre
Boards of Canada

other monikers he has recorded under, check out: GAK, Caustic Window, Polygon Window, AFX, and Bradley Strider.
>>
File: ISO50-CVJ-Front1.jpg (149 KB, 650x624) Image search: [Google]
ISO50-CVJ-Front1.jpg
149 KB, 650x624
i like this
>>
Realised I had never heard "We are the music makers" after my friend sent it to me. Every time I listen to this album I get to Heliosphan and then put that on repeat for an hour
>>
>>65067352

This is a sensible suggestion to the above anon.

t. different anon
>>
>>65067449
Then you've also never heard Actium. Get on it.
>>
Xtal is probably my favorite song of all time
>>
File: B12-TimeTourist.jpg (89 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
B12-TimeTourist.jpg
89 KB, 480x480
if youre posting in this thread and havent listened to this album then you should reconsider your life
>>
>>65067449
>We are the music makers
I hate that whenever this track is mentioned I automatically think of that awful fucking forum site
>>
>>65067342
>>65067352
>>65067386
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll be checking these out.
>>
>>65067506
>Awful fucking forum site
Why is WATMM such cancer? I've been meaning to visit it for a while but i haven't gotten around to it...
>>
>>65067566
it's like /mu/ but more elitist and less counter-counter culture
>>
>>65067518
as >>65067352, let me clarify that if you're looking for more ambient-ish stuff you should definitely go for autechre and boards of canada's first two albums first, then maybe try gas's last three albums
if you just want to get more into "idm" in general then just go through aphex's discography, then boards of canada's discography, then autechre's discography (they're the most difficult of the three go get into)
>>
>>65067566
The people, while they have better taste than most communities, are very close-minded and will gang up on anyone who shows any kind of unpopular opinion, and then hold it against that person every time they post anything. It's basically Reddit but more severe due to the small size of the community, and it made me extremely grateful for the anonymity of 4chan, where I don't have to be afraid of expressing my opinion.
>>
>>65067626
>it's like /mu/ but more elitist and less counter-counter culture
Ew
>>
>>65067639
>yeah im a huge idm fan
>autechre, aphex twin, boards of canada, the list could go on...
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.