[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Beatles have no artistic or cultural merit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (303 KB, 1156x839) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
303 KB, 1156x839
They took soulful, angry, and sexual black music and turned it into weak and emotionless pop garbage meant to appeal to adolescent girls. People think they are amazing simply because they have nice melodies and are slightly better than boy bands today like one direction or nsync. But when you compare them to other bands of the time like The Kinks or Pink Floyd it is easy to see how unoriginal and unispired The Beatles are. Their song lyrics are especially castrated, they have a song called "let it be" where they talk about just accepting all your problems and not getting angry, and their song "revolution" because it talks about why you should not have radical beliefs and not challenge authority.
>>
>>65063614
No
>>
OP is completely right but raging middle schoolers fresh into summer and dumbass redditors will whine about it for 150 replies
>>
>>65063614
not completely agreeing with anon
but can someone prove him wrong?
>>
>>65063714
inb4 someone goes on about them inventing sampling and thus giving something back to black people because Beatles fans are actually that stupid and actually that racist :^)
>>
>>65063704
>and I'm definitely not one of them

Trolls trolling trolls.
>>
nice you have two threads??
>>
>>65063714
The statement about them being like One Direction and N'Sync is wrong off the bat since The Beatles actually wrote their own songs.

Besides, the era of Beatles music everyone lauds over (even Rolling Stone) is specifically when they started being influenced by things OTHER than black music.
>>
>another lusty kinks babbies thred
>>
>>65063614
>like The Kinks or Pink Floyd
This is where you fucked up op
>>
>>65063758
>since The Beatles actually wrote their own songs
>people still think this magically makes the music better
>>
File: 1463366684235.png (198 KB, 470x342) Image search: [Google]
1463366684235.png
198 KB, 470x342
>>65063614
>>
>>65063614
They were trend setters so yes they have merit even if it's true that their music couldn't be considered great today.
>>
>>65063714
The best retort I can think of is the entirety of "Revolution in the Head" by Ian McDonald. A very levelheaded look into the Beatles' music. He defends what made them such a special band but never succumbs to worship. He doesn't hesitate to closely examine every one of their flaws including several points that OP pointed out, such as the weak lyrics to "Revolution").
>>
Hmm nobody had offered a refutation yet... Interesting...
>>
>>65064309
I mean this dude (>>65064096) offered a whole book in retort
>>
>>65064378
> stating the name of a book counts as an argument
what the fuck lol
>>
>>65064421
the bible anon
>checkmate
>>
>>65064421
Yeah, I'll admit that's not really an argument. If I was actually trying I could make some kind of attempt to sum up the main points of the book but to be honest, I can't bring myself to care that much about whether or not someone likes a band I like.
>>
>>65063614
I'll bet you don't have the guts to say that to anybody's face in the town of Liverpool, England, you twat!
>>
>>65065066
The same way you wouldn't say that about KISS in Detroit.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.