[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the first punk band?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: MI0000043586.jpg (31 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
MI0000043586.jpg
31 KB, 400x399
Is this the first punk band?
>>
The Sonics
>>
The Sex Pistols were the earliest and the best
>>
the kinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWNwHof0kc
>>
New York Dolls
>>
>>65062656
Ramones > Sex Pistols
>>
VU - Sister Ray
>>
>>65062656
>earliest
lol the sex pistols came after the ramones
>>
Les Blousons noirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeSj2lebgY

>>
>>65062665
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVWAE6n_G4Q
>>
Link Wray - Rumble (1958)
>>
>>65062613
I Wanna Be Your Dog is the first punks song. Everything else is protopunk
>>
>>65062728
The Shaggs have met their match
>>
nirvana
>>
first commercially successful punk band? yes.

There were garage bands in the '50s and early '60s that were surf-punk, etc, but they didn't do much.
>>
>>65062656
lol
>>
>>65062954
The Stooges weren't commercially successful at all, actually.
Their records didn't sell, most of the critics hated them, most of the crowds they played to hated them. For a long time the best-selling Stooges album was a live bootleg, actually, because their studio albums sold so poorly that their record labels didn't have a reason to promote or reissue them. For a long time The Stooges were only known as a footnote in Iggy Pop's career, it wasn't until the 80s that their work started getting critically reappraised and reevaluated.
>>
The saints pretty sure were relevant and before stooges.
>>
>>65063266
The Stooges formed in 1967
>>
>>65062656
this
>>
>>65062656
this is what Britbongs actually believe
>>
>>65062613
It's proto-Metal
>>
>>65064745
I think Stooges sound more like early metal than punk
>>
>>65064772
yeah me too
>>
>>65062613
No. That distinction belongs to The Fugs.
>>
Fugs, Blue Cheer, MC5, the Monks, those are just top of mind. but kind of putting it all together with the punk attitude? that may have been the Stooges.
>>
>>65062623
this nigga knows what's up
>>
>>65065453
I feel like a lot of the bands labeled protopunk just sound like grimey garage rock, while if the Stooges made the exact same music they did except 5 years later they'd unquestionably be considered punk.
>>
>>65062623
The Sonics
>>
Let's figure this out once and for all.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10276847
>>
>>65062676
He said first, not best
>>
File: punk.png (9 KB, 650x102) Image search: [Google]
punk.png
9 KB, 650x102
When I google first punk band, this message comes up.
>>
VU-White Light/White Heat
The Sonics-Here Come the Sonics
>>
What about Joy Division you asshats
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.