[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFF APJ-ZMkI >ywn be thi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFFAPJ-ZMkI

>ywn be this talented

is she the GOAT female musician boys?
>>
I wish I was as lucky as Samberg to have a Banshee pierce my ears every night.
>>
>>65054410
>inb4 not as talented as Grimes
>>
I haven't listened to her at all. Is this really a representative song? Shit is way more esoteric than I would have expected
>>
>>65054665
that's one of her most accessible works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UUe3Q54qFg
this is more representative (youtube compression makes this sound like shit but you'll get the point)
>>
Thanks I hadn't seen that video. She is a goddess and yes, the best female musician around. Divers wasn't her best work which was disappointing because HooM is my favorite album of all time and I thought she might surpass it.
>>
Shell be fine
>>
She's p overrated.

Nothing on Peej
>>
>>65054698

Good choice even though she's moved quite a ways away from the Ys style.

https://youtu.be/-LnYLF_E1NU

Or

https://youtu.be/j2cbBO31cVg

Or

https://youtu.be/eBa3QSycc0c

are good choices too.
>>
>>65054410
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFFAPJ-ZMkI

what the fuck is wrong with the people commenting on this video? is there a single good female artist that isn't divisive?
>>
>>65054992
They're right, she's shit.
>>
>>65055056
>proving my point further
>>
>>65054410
>That like/dislike ratio
>>
>is she the GOAT female musician boys?

Maybe not musician but definitely songwriter. I mean she wrote Ys when she was like 21 years old, that blows my fucking mind. And she hardly has any bad tracks in her whole discog. She's a godess.
>>
>>65054665
her voice is a lot less weird on the actual album
>>
>>65055223
how do i learn to never have expectations? i've been let down a lot but still get excited about things. it's a frustrating cycle
>>
File: mwyzkUS.jpg (46 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
mwyzkUS.jpg
46 KB, 500x364
>>65054992
Are you seriously advocating for a more unanimous appreciation for her music? Half of her appeal is that there's a slight barrier to entry to her music, and that it literally is unable to be enjoyed by a large population. If everybody was on board, by definition her music would be pandering and bland. Universal appeal of an artist means you should turn around and walk away from them to find something more interesting.

>inb4 "contrarian logic" and "muh special club"
>>
>>65054665
DUDE LISTEN TO YS RIGHT NOW
>>
>>65055196
>Ys at 21
Friendly reminder that Orson Welles made Citizen Kane when he was 24
>>
>>65055289
i'm always surprised people aren't into her, i don't think that enjoying her stuff is a feat of endurance or anything
>>
>>65054992

>that one girl saying her voice is shaky when it's just vibrato
>>
>>65055344
It's her voice. The first time I heard Newsom back in like 2008 I legitimately thought she was a meme. Like I was being Rick rolled with this screechy ironic shit. Then I heard Ys.
>>
>>65054698
every time i listen to ys i can't stop thinking 'fuck off van dyke parks' even though i love joanna. he just overdoes everything to the point where it's not even baroque it's just annoying
>>
>>65054698
This is much more normal and accessible than OPs video, not sure wtf you are on about. It's normal singer-songwriter stuff as opposed to that weird baroque prog stuff.
>>
>>65055467
you'll probably love this live, she plays the whole of Ys with her normal band. Monkey and Bear and Only Skin are so good
>>
>>65055572
>>65055467
whoops, this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEIH7FUwbfE
>>
>>65054745
Divers is better than HOOM lyrically
>>
>>65055572

He did most of the arrangements for the live versions of Ys too. At least the tour they did following the album's release. I do enjoy them more though. I listen to Live at Bottletree as much as any of her studio stuff and more than Ys really.
>>
>>65054410
>tfw I can't listen to patrician music filmed in front of an audience because I can't help but keep wondering what they're thinking and whether or not they hate it
anyone else get this feel?
>>
>>65055659
>He did most of the arrangements for the live versions of Ys too

Source? I mean there's lots of lines that are the similar but I assumed it was Ryan Francesconi who transposed it
>>
File: joanna_newsom_face.jpg (16 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
joanna_newsom_face.jpg
16 KB, 600x338
FLYING A KITE

FLYING A KITE

FLYING A KITE
FLYING A KITE
FLYING A KITE

FLYING A KITE
FLYING A KITE
OWAOH
>>
>>65055726

She says so in between one of the tracks on the Bottletree recording. May be between Only Skin and Cosmia? I'm at work or I'd let you know for sure.
>>
>>65055726

Whoops I was mistaken. She says they are "derivative of the orchestral versions of the songs, written by Van Dyke Parks, in addition to parts they wrote themselves." so nvm
>>
This is pretty sick.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nIuS8-xC0

such a beautiful melody man how does she do it <3. so much fun strumming along with the chords in this part
>>
She is literally one of the greatest artists of our time
listen to this engulfing sweetness and interesting instrumentation how can anyone not like this wtf
>>
Joanna Newsom is nothing but inauthentic garbage, please delete this post off of this image board.
>>
>all those dislikes
Fucking kill me and spread my ashes already
>>
>>65056247
filtered
>>
>>65056247
>inauthentic
What does this even mean in the context of her work? She's not attempting to latch onto any scene, or put on any sort of affectation.
>>
>>65056256
How about you kill yourself for liking such shitty music
>>
>>65056247
>>65056314
fuck you fagits she's a godess
>>
>>65056314
Put your trip back on please. This makes us tripfriends look bad.
>>
>>65054992
sorry. her voice is shit. This is a true Godess with musical talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipCKIxdHTs
>>
>>65056363
>her voice is shit.
Come on son.
>>
>Where you will not mark my leaving
>And you will not hear my parting song
>Nor is there cause for grieving
>Nor is there cause for carrying on

Damn that part always get me, i think it's where her voice sounds the best as well. Those deep breathy parts rather than the strained high ones. Kinda wish the song ended there
>>
>>65054410
THIS

IS

PERFECT
>>
File: corben.jpg (59 KB, 693x688) Image search: [Google]
corben.jpg
59 KB, 693x688
She's a low budget Kate Bush at best tbqh
>>
>>65056363
>her voice is shit
Nice criticism bro. Which youtube comment is yours, i'll give you a thumbs up
>>
jesus christ her music just meanders and drones on with no purpose. the melodies and ideas have no connection 95% of the time. they just play notes with no progression or any context.

it's like someone just smashing drums with no distinction for beat or rhythm.
>>
>>65056533
Stop the meme. She's nothing like Mrs. Bush
>>
>>65056548
How the hell is her music too patrician for you? She's not even that hard to get.
>>
>>65056548
he says about one of the most thought out albums to come out in recent years, 5 years in the making. She even put effort so that the individual tracks in sequence are connected to each other musically.
>>
>>65056547
none of them. I have never left a comment on youtube.
>>
>>65056564
plebs will always pleb there's nothing you can do
>>
Joanna is so fucking overrated. She sounds like a pig and makes bland baroque wow tier folk. Most of you only like her because of her bum. She will never reach the level of Bjork or even get close with that shitty voice
>>
>>65056548
lol what?

Her melodic progressions are generally pretty long and varied but I've never considered them to be uncontrolled by any means. She even manages to make 17 minute seemingly meandering songs like Only Skin feel cohesive and calculated.
>>
>>65056548
loool
>>
>>65056648
>She will never reach the level of Bjork
Has this board really fucking devolved into waifu competing?
>>
>>65056648
She's a considerably better songwriter than Bjork IMO. If you don't like the kind of folk influenced material she works with then that's fine, but it seems like you've got a pretty shit opinion either way.
>>
>>65056648
>bland baroque wow tier folk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwVx6ynYjk
>>
>>65056613
i'm not saying it's not thought out, because i can't deny that. it clearly is. but that doesn't excuse...emotional absence. while it is a neat compositional trick that the arrangement is very ambiguous and not cut and clear happy or sad, it reaches grounds where it just doesn't really have any emotion at all. even something really rudimentary can still pull off ambiguity. look at some basic shit like Burn the Witch by RH. ambiguous but still retains emotions by manipulating dissonance. this lacks that manipulation of sounds and connotation. it's just ambiguous and makes it feel like masturbatory, disconnected melodies instead of UNIFIED complex composition.

>>65056564
>patrician

being bad doesn't make you patrician, you fucking pleb. i'm saying there is poor composition and songwriting.

how are you THIS new to music?
>>
File: bjork-1996-lorenzo-agius-02.jpg (367 KB, 1254x1734) Image search: [Google]
bjork-1996-lorenzo-agius-02.jpg
367 KB, 1254x1734
>>65056702
>She's a considerably better songwriter than Bjork IMO.
Yes, "IMO", because objectively you are wrong
>>
>>65056724
>emotional absence.
Have One On Me is literally one of the two or three albums to elicit tears from me. Qualify your opinions with "she doesn't make me emotional;" don't affect an air of objectivity.
>>
>>65056784
t. Ricardo
>>
>>65056822
t. Samburg
>>
holy fucking shit that performance was stunning, she's so talented, i'm in love with her music, it's amazing. thank you OP.
>>
>>65056724
>it's just ambiguous and makes it feel like masturbatory, disconnected melodies instead of UNIFIED complex composition.
Is this all you've heard from her? Have you actually listened to Ys? It's one of the most musically cohesive albums I've ever listened to.
>>
>>65056795
i'll agree that Have One on Me is pretty solid
>>
>>65056724
>emotional absence
mate i think that's just you, if you look at how passionate her 'fans' are about her then you realise how much most people connect with her music. She is one of the very few artists to bring me to tears
>>
>>65056724
>but that doesn't excuse...emotional absence

That's absurd, Joanna is one of the most emotionally captivating musicians out there. If Anecdotes was the only thing you listened to it then perhaps I could understand that opinion as I think it's intended to sound a bit emotionally ambiguous as its dealing with some pretty abstract themes like the progression of time and whatnot, but either way I still think she instills more than enough sincere emotion into it. Are you sure this isn't just based around being too unfamiliar with her voice and not recognizing how she emotes things?

and drawing that conclusion from one song is especially ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Mj3wKU-wg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgQhfusf_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UUe3Q54qFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78N1P0Ymsg

I dare you to try and say that those songs aren't emotionally evocative.
>>
>>65056724
>while it is a neat compositional trick that the arrangement is very ambiguous and not cut and clear happy or sad, it reaches grounds where it just doesn't really have any emotion at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjBGuX3dp5M

listen to the album version
>>
>>65056871
Van Dyke Parks was a large part of that album, which is weird because Song Cycle was also guilty of "masturbatory, disconnected melodies".
>>
>>65056926
All Parks did was handle the orchestral arrangements, with input from Joanna. All the songwriting structure and melody was done by her.
>>
Zeena Parkins is a better harpist you just think jewsom is hot
>>
>>65057009
Zeena Parkins is not a better songwriter
>>
>>65057009
people like Joanna because of her songwriting, not just because she plays the harp you melon.
>>
Eww I had no idea this is what she sounded like

Why the fuck does she sing like that? She sounds like Lisa Simpsons. What is the accent she's going for? Is it just made up?

I can't believe people listen to this person sing for enjoyment. That's not even getting into the meandering tuneless music and incomprehensible lyrics.
>>
Dafuq did I just watch ? A weird acting and singing cat performing a unique style ? at least I hope so.
>>
Can someone explain what is good about her songwriting? Can someone post examples of lyrics that aren't just nonsense?
>>
>>65057096
And the signifieds butt heads
With the signifiers
And we all fall down slack-jawed
To marvel at words!
While across the sky sheet the
Impossible birds, in a steady
Illiterate movement homewards
>>
>>65057096
it's just as pretentious are her msuic
>>
>>65055467
Oh fuck off you moron, VDP is a legend and he did way better than the incompetent fuck on HOOM.
>>
File: 1337232216284.png (76 KB, 180x211) Image search: [Google]
1337232216284.png
76 KB, 180x211
>>65057045
>>
>>65057096
Her lyrics are pretty straightforward
>>
File: 7987.jpg (266 KB, 905x881) Image search: [Google]
7987.jpg
266 KB, 905x881
>>65057134
>Illiterate movement homewards

The movement can't read?
>>
>>65057035
>>65057040
Just saying she is not GOAT by any means
>>
>>65057199
The birds are illiterate.
>>
>>65057218
No one said she's a GOAT harp-player, we're saying she's a GOAT songwriter
>>
>>65057225

Was there ever any argument to the contrary?
>>
>>65054410
wow they bring outsider artists to kimmel?
>>
>>65057225
The guy you replied to is also illiterate
>>
>>65057261

Outsider artists don't try so hard to sound like outside artists
>>
File: Doubt.jpg (16 KB, 200x303) Image search: [Google]
Doubt.jpg
16 KB, 200x303
>>65057261
>outsider artists
>>
>>65057134
>And the signifieds butt heads

lol she really used "butt heads" in a song?
>>
>>65057253
She's contrasting the illiterate birds and nature in general with the writers who care about meaning and semiotics.
>>
>>65057287
>>65057292
>the entire story

>i am here since 2008
>somehow never listened to newsome
>see the video picture of her with harp
>"hey lets just see what she will play on the harp"
>song start and she start to sing and the song start to play
>"wtf this is what is all about? An outsider artist?"
>>
>>65057096
She can present usually cliched emotions in interesting ways using situations metaphors and even sort of esoteric words themselves in creative ways. She also pays a lot of attention to consonance and flow so that her lyrics themselves have a neat aesthetic aural quality without even considering their content, which itself is rife with meaning.
>>
>>65057287
She was widely considered an outsider freak folk artist back when she first started. She just happened to get relatively popular, I don't think there's any reason to assume she's not being genuine.
>>
The fact that there are people ITT hating on Joanna and who haven't listened to Joanna is proof it's time for me to leave /mu/.

Goodbye you fucking worthless pathetic children
>>
>>65057377
hey come on man most of the Joanna threads are pretty good.
>>
>>65057377
i listened to the song in the video. I could never see myself listening to this casually, the song literally has no structure
>>
>>65057096
>Can someone post examples of lyrics that aren't just nonsense

i like this one, it's very deep:

awful atoll
- o, incalculable indiscreetness and sorrow!
bawl, bellow:
Sibyl sea-cow, all done up in a bow
toddle and roll;
teeth an impalpable bit of leather
while yarrow, heather and hollyhock
awkwardly molt along the shore
>>
>>65057405
That single performance isn't representative of Newsom's entire discography, though
>>
In all seriousness, what the fuck is her deal?

Watch any interview with her or the PTA movie she's in. She's from California. She knows how to say the word "louder." Why when she sings it does she say "LLLEEEEE---AHHH---EEEH---<squeak>---OOOOO---<squeak>----DOOOOOOH"?
>>
>>65057405
>no structure
When did this turn into r/music
>>
>>65057417
Damn it. Don't post this. Post Sapokanikan, that's a deep song.
>>
>>65057405
1. Yes it does, it obviously is a simple binary form just without the return of A you fucking moron.
2. Go back to R3dit
>>
>>65057417
ITT: /mu/ can't into basic impressionist poetry
>>
>>65057459
it was a joke lol i don't give a fuck what plebs think of her lyrics
>>
>>65054992
>>65056363
>tfw like Tori Amos AND Joanna Newsom

Can't wee all just get along?
>>
There is a blacksmith and there is a shepherd and there is a butcher boy
And there is a barber who's cutting and cutting away at my only joy
I saw a rabbit as swift as a knife and as pale as a candlestick
And I had thought it'd be harder to do but I caught her and skinned her quick, held her there
Kicking and mewling upended unspooling unsung and blue
Told her wherever you go little runaway bunny I will find you
And then she ran
As they're liable to do
>>
>>65057568
seriously though this might be one of the best sections to a song I've ever heard.
>>
>>65057466
>without the return of A
aren't the first and last verses the same melody?
>>
>>65057608
The second half of Sapokanikan is completely different from the first half, goes from a modal key to a clear D minor tonality.
>>
>>65057568

Why does she write about blacksmiths and shepherds and butcher boys and candlesticks if she's in her early 30's and from LA and grew up eating Lucky Charms and watching Transformers and Animaniacs like everyone else and not medieval period Western Europe?
>>
>>65057719
i think we're talking about anecdotes
>>
>>65057742
3/10
>>
>>65057742

I know you're epically trolling but the album is full of historical references so it's not really unusual. Her parents didn't let her watch TV either....

BITCH
>>
>>65057744
The original comment is:
>>65057405
>i listened to the song in the video. I could never see myself listening to this casually, the song literally has no structure
>>
>>65057742
She uses medieval imagery to create a sense of timelessness that removes her from the deeply personal lyrics
>>
>>65057853
the song in the video is ancdotes
>>
>>65057744
>>65057853
Oh fuck, I thought the OP had linked to Sapokanikan, since that uploaded recently to YouTube on Jimmy Kimmel.
Also because people earlier specifically talked about Sapo...but oh well

My bad Anon, though there's probably some structure to it........
>>
>>65057878
yeah I see the problem, I thought she appeared on the show just to play Sapokanikan so when I saw that video earlier today I assumed that's what OP posted
>>
>>65057868

It just makes her sound like a fraudulent disengenious tryhard
>>
>yfw her sister is an astrophysicist and her cousin is the Lieutenant Governor of California
>>
>>65057982
Would you say the same about Tolkien?
>>
File: Samsung-logo-2015-Nobg.png (54 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Samsung-logo-2015-Nobg.png
54 KB, 2272x1704
>>65054410
Forget the girl, how about that SAMSUNG???
>>
How is this good?
>>
>>65058019

Tolkien was a professor of English and Literature and an expert on Old English texts and European mythology writing about what he knew.

He didn't pretend he WAS a hobbit to make himself sound more unique and interesting
>>
File: newsom--emily.jpg (25 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
newsom--emily.jpg
25 KB, 200x250
>>65057986
>tfw your sister will never write an unbelievably good song about you and your profession
>>
>>65058176

Is Joanna an iPhone girl or an Android girl?

Or Windows Phone...
>>
>>65057982
>>65058267

are you really this retarded man, i really hope this is an elaborate troll. She's not actually singing about medieval characters, it's a metaphor, she's using imagery to convey a feeling/event. What songwriters would you consider genuine fucking Sun Kil Moon?

>I had an abortion and it fucking sucked
>they cut the embryo out of my womb and i was very sad
>>
She looks like she smells like 20+ spread-cheese.
>>
>>65058295
>>I had an abortion and it fucking sucked
>>they cut the embryo out of my womb and i was very sad
holy kekel imagine it to this beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXV41QFlyo
>>
>>65058267
So the distinction between Newsom and Tolkien is simply educational differences? Seems pretty fallacious to talk about her degrees rather than the work she's created itself.

>He didn't pretend he WAS a hobbit to make himself sound more unique and interesting
Neither does Newsom. That was her writing aesthetic for one concept album. She went on to write with a more modern prose style in her next two albums.
>>
>>65056724
this fucking word vomit waffle lmao, you're using many words to say nothing
>>
>>65058277
She's the sort of bitch to communicate exclusively through hand written letters
>>
>>65058267
neither does she

She was raised by hippy parents and was pretty much only able to get her entertainment from books, poetry and playing musical instruments throughout her entire childhood. Not to mention that the whole "medieval" tinge to her music is mostly just a meme perpetuated by people who haven't listened to her music. She will occasionally use certain archaic imagery probably just so she doesn't have to use more modern focal points which could end up sounding cheesy and outdated in a decade.

>>65058295
hey man I love Joanna but Mark Kozelek is a fantastic lyricist in his own right. Listen to the pre-Benji stuff if you're not into the talky diary reading material he does now.

>A rare and blistering sun shines down
>On Grace Cathedral Park
>There with you I fear the time
>When air gets dark
>You know I don't spend days like this
>Caught up in lost times of youth that I miss
>>
File: Capture.png (18 KB, 828x275) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18 KB, 828x275
Is this the average Joanna hater?
>>
>>65055289
>Half of her appeal is that there's a slight barrier to entry to her music, and that it literally is unable to be enjoyed by a large population

You people are the actual barrier. If everyone liked her music her music would still be her music.

If you're the type of person whose taste change based on what other people think about the things you like then you're just a cuck.
>>
Her voice sounds really weak for both of the Kimmel songs. For those who saw her on tour was it any better?

Her Austin City Limits was peak Joanna vocal period. So much more forceful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DACSH7QIQsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b3mQcdbPkc
>>
>>65054410
She isn't GOAT by any means. There have been many female artists that could write lyrics, Competently play an instrument. And do it with a much more pleasing to the ears voice. .
>>
>>65059207
nah
>>
>>65059207
>with a much more pleasing to the ears voice.
PLEB SHIT
>>
>>65059018
i thought she sounded fantastic when i saw her, though desu i don't see how she sounds weak here. Maybe the months of touring before this took their toll, i don't see it.
>>
>>65059207
but none have released an album as good as Ys
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 748x260) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 748x260
JOANNA'S HISTORICAL KNOWLEDGE IS SECOND TO NONE

>waifufags actually believe this
>>
>>65059207

>a much more pleasing to the ears voice

Gross.
>>
>>65059412
Fanbases all suck
>>
File: little earthquakes.jpg (18 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
little earthquakes.jpg
18 KB, 480x480
>>65059351
yes they have
>Tapestry
>Little Earthquakes
>Hounds of Love
>>
>>65059550
Tapestry lmao. HoL is the only one that comes close out of those, but doesn't reach the same highs for me
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-21-14-12-39.png (693 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-21-14-12-39.png
693 KB, 1920x1080
LMAO DEAD ASS BRUH THIS BITCH LOOK LIKE POPEYE THE SAILOR
>>
>>65059603
well. We all have our opinions don't we.
>>
File: jonew.jpg (208 KB, 1193x1200) Image search: [Google]
jonew.jpg
208 KB, 1193x1200
>>65059783
well then I kind of want to fuck popeye the sailor
>>
>>65059351
>>65059550
All of those are GOAT albums
>>
>>65059783
SHE DABBIN!
>>
grimes is better desu
>>
>>65059912
She's only beautiful due to how she carries herself and the fact that she keeps herself in shape. Her face is sort of busted
>>
File: joanna-newsom-009.jpg (653 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
joanna-newsom-009.jpg
653 KB, 2060x1236
>>65060137
eh, she's conventionally attractive enough. If she were anymore she'd lose her charm.
>>
>>65058404
>i don't understand sentence structure beyond that of a high schooler so that means you're not saying anything
>>
>>65058877
ouch
>>
>>65057261
>Newsom
>outsider
>smug anime face
>>
>>65054410
this isn't half as bad as i expected it to be, and i can't even sit through ys

that anco performance on colbert was a million times worse than this
>>
>>65062686
Given the reaction she elicits that seems about right
>>
>>65054499
>ywn fuck joanna from the back while she makes your ears bleed with her screeching
>>
does anyone have that "today i'll listen to.." comic with joanna and in the last panel his ears are bleeding from the random squawks
>>
>>65056548
i bet you think jazz is "random" you dumb fuck
>>
>>65061035
yeah everyone's too stupid to understand your brilliant write up. it was shit and some sentences didn't even make sense.

stop trying to impress and just say things succinctly. the best writers use the simplest words to convey their ideas.

>the arrangement is very ambiguous
>not cut or clear happy or sad

shit criticism, could honestly say that about any piece that isn't explicitly major or minor. also i see a lot of pretty clear emotional themes being supported by her music. for instance in emily, off ys. in it she talks to her sister (who's name is actually emily). there are a ton of points where the music directly supports the lyrics. throughout the song she reflects on looking at the stars with her sister and teaching her the differences between meteors and meteorites, and she keeps repeating that motif throughout.

at a certain point she starts talking about how it's springtime, and the strings start moving faster along with the harp, playing quick arpeggios upwards, as she talks about how restless the insects and animals are.

then she mentions their father, and a banjo comes in, bringing this nostalgic, homely feel to the stanza.

she returns to the stars motif, and the strings kind of hold back as she expresses this idea about being dumbstruck about being alive and in the present moment. the strings start doing this tremolo-type thing, supporting that, before returning to the meteorite thing again to end the song.

my point is that ideas can be supported by music in unorthodox ways.

>basic shit like Burn the Witch by RH, ambiguous but still retains emotions by manipulating dissonance. this lacks that manipulation of sounds and connotation

this is honestly gibberish. retains emotions by manipulating dissonance? lack that manipulation of sounds? what does any of this even mean?
>>
>>65057096
her lyrics aren't the most indecipherable thing in the world. they can be a bit esoteric but they're pretty accessible. i think she's a good writer. i did a bit of a write up on emily off ys but it was more focused towards the music than the lyrics

>>65065643
>>
hi kate bush wannabe
>>
>>65056256
Thanks for reminding me to dislike it. And hopefully you get your wish soon, /mu/ would be a much better place without you plebs.
>>
wow this board is shit
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.