[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How I git gud at sight reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Sheeit.png (45 KB, 707x615) Image search: [Google]
Sheeit.png
45 KB, 707x615
How I git gud at sight reading?
>>
>>65050420
time and practice
>>
>>65050420
>>65050553 This more than anything with all things related to improving yourself as a musician.

If you're only starting, try memorise where a few notes of your instrument are on staff and use them as reference points. It's not considered a very healthy habit to get into but it's a real handy shortcut for beginners.
>>
>>65050553
literally just this
>>
don't bother it's lousy make up your own stuff then eventually maybe they'll pay someone to write it out
>>
sight reading is so hard
>>
Well what has been mentioned in this thread. You can also look for notation videos on youtube that you might want to follow to teach your brain the relationship between the notes and the actual sound. Try going for simpler melodies or compositions. Try avoiding Lizt for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKMMDxrsBE

Video related, it's Liszt
>>
Deals with the devil
>>
Read and play more music. Do this every day. Always practice.

t. classical trombonist
>>
Yeah just keep playing, I still can't do it for guitar, but my years as a percussionist have gotten me pretty good at sight-reading.
>>
>applying to university of toronto music performance
>kinda confident about repertoire
>find out they have sight reading during the audition too
fuck, i can't sight read for shit
>>
>>65052859
>>
Avoid mindless practice, go at an appropriate speed where you won't make mistakes, consciously focus on increasing the distance ahead where you're reading from where you're playing.
>>
>>65052918
Try the third point here >>65053652 with brute force. If you really push yourself you'll start feeling a tangible strain on your mind similar to physical exertion with the same urge to stop that makes you slightly hysterical to overcome. You could potentially make some good gains in a limited time.
>>
>>65050420
Take some music you've never played before. Sight read it at a realistic tempo. Don't stop. Play it like you were performing it. Once you're done evaluate how you did. Repeat.

Sight reading is a a skill like scales or arpeggios you just gotta do it a lot.
>>
Sight read on a piano like 10 minutes a day
>>
>>65053834
This is wrong

>>65053652
This is correct

Work as slow as you need to play with like 90% accuracy, then dial up the speed
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.