[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people not realize this is their best album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: MyBloodyValentineIsntAnything.jpg (14 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
MyBloodyValentineIsntAnything.jpg
14 KB, 220x220
Why do people not realize this is their best album?
>>
>its an anon has le controversial opinion thread
"Why do people not realize this is their best album?"
>>
>>65050059
Shields literally describes this album as his test run for Loveless.
>>
>>65050114
Shields also distanced the band from the Conway-era EPs, but Sunny Sundae Smile is great.
>>
Its darker than rest of their discography so peoples are dissaipointed when they are checking it last and its not so cute and ethereal
>>
>>65050059
It's less refined and not greater than Loveless, but it's very underrated. It has amazing songs with both melodies and moods.
>>
It's great, the not-so-missing link between YMMR and Loveless.
>>
>>65050059

Sloppy and poorly played and coming out of their alt rock roots, the only saving grace was the shoegazing.
>>
>>65050990
the rough edges are half of the charm for me, it's a nice contrast to the precision of loveless
>>
It way more dynamic than loveless for 1 simple fact. It has an actual human drummer. If Kevin wasnt such a dick and just waited for Colm to get better Loveless would be wayyyy better (and possibly more popular) than it is.
The only two tracks from the loveless era where Colm played are god-tier
>>
>>65051572
btw the songs I was referring to are "only shallow" and "honey power". Not that shitty interlude we all know
>>
>>65050990
I feel like it's heavier than their roots though. Just a year before, they were a slightly noisy jangle pop act, and this is more aggressive than that ever was (with maybe the exception of Clair and YMMR).
>>
>>65050059
iv been saying this since i first heard it
>>
Because it isn't. The songwriting is better than Loveless but the actual instrumentation and sound, while fine in its own right, is vastly inferior to anything on Loveless. As for m b v, it might've been better than that had Only Tomorrow not single handedly blown IA the fuck out - does everything that album does well with Loveless tier production and experimentation.
>>
Colm could've played on Loveless and it would have been great but Loveless still stands as a monster record anyway.
>>65050145
Loveless could never be described as cute, it's too overwhelming. If anything, Isn't Anything still has ties to their twee-goth past because it's so macabre and amateurishly grimy. I love it, but I think that was the last time you could call them cute before they got massive and all the pretty stuff could only be reckoned with in terms of its beauty.
>>
>>65051572

The humanity of the drumming is a plus and minus for me as I find it to lack restraint on IA. He does MUCH better on the tracks he plays in Loveless and especially on m b v where the drums are ace, but on Isn't Anything he tosses out those machine gun fire fills at almost every chance he can and he doesn't even nail them all the time. It gets boring really fast.
>>
>>65051992
The sound is too much for me on Loveless. It's a good sound, but I like more variation in my music. By the time I get around to What You Want, I've already drowned in it and I don't want to hear anymore.
>>
It is a fucking awesome album, as good as Loveless IMO. It's pretty unique, I like the noisy rough around the edges pop style its got going on
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.