[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone on /mu/ typically enjoy the same artists (Animal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1457188559782.png (27 KB, 407x742) Image search: [Google]
1457188559782.png
27 KB, 407x742
Why does everyone on /mu/ typically enjoy the same artists (Animal Collective, Radiohead, American Football, Swans, etc.)?

I just figure that since so many people come here tastes would be more varied
>>
>>65037546
I've always wondered this.

My theory is that people first come to /mu/ with such terrible taste that they are drawn to the popular /mu/ artists and the cycle just keeps repeating.

I don't think very many people come here initially with well-developed, unique taste unfortunately.
>>
>>65037546
Because people of the same age and ethnicity who come from similar backgrounds tend to share sensibilities.
>>
>>65037546
They are more varied, we just talk about things we all know mostly. Like real life conversations.
>>
There's definitely varied taste, you can see that in the sharethreads/generals

Those artists just have wide appeal here so threads about them tend to survive more than threads about artists who are uniquely liked by a small sect of the board's population
>>
>>65037648
that is a DAMN good answer and probably the most accurate one you'll find
>>
>>65037614
>>65037648
Combination of these. People come here looking to get more into music, so they sort of approach the same /mu/core stuff for a while, then branch out from there. The similarity of demographics helps, too.
>>
>>65037546
Vocal minority of p4k drones. Too beta and too autist to have opinions
>>
>>65037826
Any answer but this

I'm willing to bet there are NO users here that actually follow pitchfork to the point they decide if an album is good or not based on the rating it gets there

It's more often than not referenced by people trying to feel superior, like the poster I'm replying to
>>
>>65037546
There is a degree of varied taste but in the end what gets discussed is what people have in common.
>>65037614
>>65037648
These answers also explain the phenomenon a fair bit.

When people first come here they look at the charts and what is popular in discussions. So everyone ends up having the same starting platforms. When people branch off they go in all different directions and it makes discussion on something difficult if only a few people have heard it. It's a vicious cycle. People won't be able to talk as much about obscure stuff they've discovered anf so are instead forced to talk about what everyone alread knows.
>>
>>65037546
Because due to how /mu/ works, if you don't like those artists, you will be shamed by those who do.

So you either fall in line, or you leave.
>>
>>65037937
This desu
I think what led to this way of thinking is newfriends from other boards venturing to /mu/ and seeing all of the posting about pitchfork but not really understanding how many layers of irony there were to it so they just assumed it was all genuinely sincere.

Its kind of sad that people don't bother to lurk any board before posting anymore.
>>
>>65037614
i came here and was surprised that most of the stuff i liked was on here, i was raised right.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.