[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a patrician version of Cheap Trick? I love their sound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Cheap_Trick_Heaven_Tonight.jpg (37 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Cheap_Trick_Heaven_Tonight.jpg
37 KB, 300x300
Is there a patrician version of Cheap Trick? I love their sound but not their songs.
>>
Cheap Trick are sort of the patrician version of bands like REO Speedwagon and Boston. I don't know who would be the patrician version of Cheap Trick.
>>
File: boston.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
boston.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
>>65035508
Don't compare REO Speedway on to Boston, pic related is GOAT and they are in the same category as cheap trick.
>>65035436
I would say Big Star, but I like them equally.
>>
>>65035508
Cheap Trick's melodies sound very weird to me, they sound incredibly amateur and lame despite always hanging on the edge of being good. Their only song with a good hook IMO is If You Want My Love. Surrender too, but less so.

I was thinking more of these raw vocals bordering on glam metal mixed with pure pop goodness.
>>
>>65035864
WHITH THE LIGHTS OOOUT
>>
>>65035903
https://youtube.com/watch?v=R3XIGon2RjY
>>
>>65035903
OP here. Funny, but Nirvana actually almost fits my criteria. Their covers of Vaselines, songs like Sappy, Verse Chorus Verse actually have GOAT melodies. Not super pop, but actually pretty pop occasionally.
>>
Why does everyone shit on Boston? One dude recorded all the instruments on their self titled. That's pretty impressive.
>>
>>65035864
>I would say Big Star
I've heard their songs like September Gurls and other ones, they are nice from the point of songwriting, but is it me or they lack any hooks? I've learned about Alex Chilton from The Replacements song, but actually I'd say I like the latter much more.
>>
>>65036055
Who does? Boston is everything we have left in this fake world
>>
>>65036055
I'm first poster, and I do like Boston. I just didn't think they would be considered patrician. They're definitely a notch above most of the other AOR bands of the time.
>>
>>65036245
OP here. I kind of avoided Boston before, listening to the first album right now. Holy shit, this is great.
>>
OP here again. Listened to Boston. Need more recs.

Something similar to GBV, The Replacements, etc. with great hooks.
>>
>>65035864

big star is the best answer in this thread imo

I actually think cheap trick is god tier, but big star will earn you more points with the 'music normies haven't heard of' crowd

even if every big star fan on this board learned about them from Cheap Trick's cover of In The Street that was that 70's show theme song
>>
>>65037812
Oh well. I guess if I don't like neither of them I should probably look further. Maybe take another look at Kiss or Replacements
>>
>>65037812
That was cheap tricks cover?
>>
>>65035436
Their first album and their miscellaneous unreleased songs (Fan Club, Violins, Mr.s Henry, Loving Money, Pain Pain, Such a Good Girl, Blow Me Away, Down By The Bay, Lookout). Plus live versions of their songs. Not a joke, Cheap Trick is patrician as fuck.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhy76l7iOOs
>>
>>65035436
Also, just so we're clear..
>Cheap Trick (debut) is a 10/10
>At Budokan (complete concert) is 10/10

Many of their best songs are bootleg demos and live cuts. Many are featured on the Sex, America, & Cheap Trick compilation.

>In Color has amazing songs, but AWFUL production
>Heaven Tonight also suffers from this
>Dream Police is weaker sti, but still good songwriting
>All Shook Up is a bit of an experiment and included George Martin producing
>One On One is amazing, sort of like the Replacements but still with not up to par production
>Next Position Please is like One On One with better song writing and worse production.. Still sort of like the Replacements

Don't bother going farther than that unless you're REALLY determined.
>>
>>65038814
The Steve albini mix of In Color is pretty good though.
>>
>>65038842
I also liked that a lot. The slow version of Oh Caroline was dark as fuck. I love that shit.
>>
Thoughts on elo?

I don't really care for their albums post discovery. Though the 2013 album wasn't bad.
>>
>>65038814
OK I'll check them. Thx anon
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.