[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a huge prog fan, but no matter how hard I try, I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Genesis.jpg (47 KB, 550x330) Image search: [Google]
Genesis.jpg
47 KB, 550x330
I'm a huge prog fan, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't get into Genesis. Am I doing it wrong?
>>
because youre a pleb

If you don't like suppers ready and firth of fifth fuck off
>>
Let me help you:

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God’s Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters. God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw the light, and saw that it was good. God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” There was evening and there was morning, one day. God said, “Let there be an expanse in the middle of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” God made the expanse, and divided the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so. God called the expanse “sky.” There was evening and there was morning, a second day.
God said, “Let the waters under the sky be gathered together to one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. God called the dry land “earth,” and the gathering together of the waters he called “seas.” God saw that it was good. God said, “Let the earth yield grass, herbs yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit after their kind, with its seed in it, on the earth”; and it was so. The earth yielded grass, herbs yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit, with its seed in it, after their kind; and God saw that it was good. There was evening and there was morning, a third day.
God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the expanse of sky to give light on the earth”; and it was so. God made the two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of sky to give light to the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good.
>>
>>65027299

I find it difficult to like them when Karn Evil 9 and Larks' Tongues in Aspic are far better.
>>
>>65027378
>huge prog fan
>thinks ELP is better than Genesis
good one my dude
>>
>>65027783

Hackett and Gabriel are the only talented members of that group, and they have nothing on Emerson or Lake or Fripp.
>>
Yes did Genesis better than Genesis.
>>
>>65027268
>I'm a huge prog fan
>Am I doing it wrong?
yes
>>
>>65027841
Technical skill is honestly the only interesting part about ELP.
>>
>>65027893
Yes did Genesis without any personality
>>
the yes album is good
have u checked out sister helen??
>>
>>65027923
jar jar binks tier personality
>>
>>65027903

Either way you look at it, Genesis couldn't come up with something like Karn Evil 9 or Tarkus.
>>
>>65027378
>compares different bands and ranks superiority
>real prog fan

gg no re
>>
>>65027968
>tarkus
literal video game music
>>
>>65027893
But theyre both very distinct bands you dunce
>>
>>65027268
So it isn't just me who is like this. Good.

I don't hate Genesis. I can identify the elements of their music with skill and all...I just don't care. I've tried more times than I can count to get into them, and it's simply never happened. I find myself wanting to listen to other prog groups which I actually enjoy.
>>
Happened to me with Yes. Keep trying, you'll like them sooner or later
>>
>>65027968
They could change time signature 5 times per minute but instead they chose to make literary, biblical epics that aren't merely technical wankery
>>
>>65028060

This is exactly my issue. I've listened through their whole discography trying to get into it because I do have a ton of respect for them, but I just can't vibe to them like I do other prog bands.
>>
I don't know.
When I first listened to Firth of Fifth when I was a kid it seemed like heaven. I think their big selling point is their witticism, a whole different attitude that say Yes with their heavy spiritual tones or King Crimson and their more "intellectual" (I wanted to say pretentious) take.
>>
What 21th century prog bands are the first ones that comes in your mind?
>>
>>65028949
echolyn
>>
>>65027268
>listening to prog genesis
>>
>>65027312
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgqjwd7W9_A
>>
>>65028949
I'm not a big prog fanatic. My prog big four are Tool, Porcupine Tree, Opeth and Riverside. And then there's Dream Theater but I've never got into them.
>>
File: kanyewest.jpg (21 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
kanyewest.jpg
21 KB, 300x400
>>65029024
>Ye shall be the singer of Genesis now
>>
>>65029227
A bad parody of an artist.
>>
>>65027968
>Karn Evil 9
>Better than Supper's Ready
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.