[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are surprise albums a meme? I swear there's a new one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: surprise.jpg (106 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
surprise.jpg
106 KB, 900x675
Are surprise albums a meme?

I swear there's a new one every week.
>>
add ae to that pic
>>
>>65026283
he's too pleb for ae
>>
>>65026283

i just found this pic on twitter

can ae really afford to not promote a 5 disc album? are they that big
>>
>>65026254
Only two of those 4 albums you are referring to were genuine surprises... Let's see if you know which ones
>>
>>65026349
well JB and Chance have had release dates moving around since last year

bey and rh?
>>
chance announced it 1 month before

james announced it 1 week before and had singles a couple months before

really though this is the way it should be. fuck announcements and teasing bullshit. people forget and stop caring too quickly now adays
>>
>>65026349
>>65026385
Radiohead and James Blake.

Beyonce had been hinting at an album for months, had the single "Formation," announced a world tour, and told people to expect an album weeks before its release. The only surprise was the exact day in which it dropped.

Chance the rapper had been doing TV appearances and had singles... His rollout was entirely conventional besides the sudden title change and the drop date not being confirmed until a few days prior.

Radiohead and James Blake are the correct answers. Radiohead's album was dropped a couple days following the first single after they blacked out from social media. James Blake just didn't bother with a rollout at all, he just premiered Modern Soul on BBC and I think that was the only single from the album and it wasn't even released as a single, just as a radio excerpt on his Youtube.
>>
>>65026419
what about new/smaller bands? they need time to have some singles spread around so they can get fans.
>>
>>65026451
Surprise releases only work for people with established following who can create a one-time spike in social media attention with the hype of a surprise release.

Sometimes it just makes sense instead of investing in a ton of marketing to just let social media advertise an album based on artist recognition and hype
>>
i suppose it's just symptomatic of the internet and social media era. people have such short attention spans anyway and will move on the next new thing rather quickly, so might as well make a bang upon release and make ppl stop, look, and listen to you. i've found that the general populace respects that approach too - i think many ppl have grown sick of the jerking around that some with heavy marketing and a big roll-out.

of course, you have to have hype to begin with for it to pay off.

>>65026329
>are they that big
well, they're on warp and have a loyal established fanbase. but still it was pretty ballsy cause they aren't cultural monoliths like bey or radiohead or drake.
>>
>>65026526
Warp hasn't even advertised it or anything. Kind of surprising given the scope of the project but maybe they figured it's catered more towards hardcore ae fans
>>
>>65026254
kind of. but beyonce does it right
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.