[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Okay!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 300x300
>Okay!
>>
>>65020893
I get up.

I get DOWWWWWWWWWWWWWn(nuh!)
>>
File: 1456288820972.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456288820972.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
is there any similar prog bands like them? im currently looking to find something to listen to on my next acid trip and i want something that will melt my mind the same way this album did
>>
Relayer is better.
>>
>>65021113
Imo fragile is better
>>
File: 27.png (852 KB, 1020x768) Image search: [Google]
27.png
852 KB, 1020x768
>>65021138
>>
>>65021113
not a meme but you should check out trout mask replica if you like the intro to close to the edge. It will probably not be as enjoyable the first time around as ctte but it´s great
>>
>>65021810
What are you even getting out of this?
>>
Best album to have sex to
>>
>>65021844
>"Okay!"
>the woman nearly has a heart attack as she thinks there is someone in the room with them, watching her and her partner. a nameless man about to join in without her prior knowledge. she thinks she has been set up, to be raped by a total stranger
>>
>>65021113
You've probably already heard them, but just start with prog rock basics I guess.
Soft Machine- Third
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells
King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson- Red
Can- Tago Mago
Yea, Pink Floyd, Rush, etc.
>>
>>65021843
Nothing, just sharing my opinion. I've tripped my fair share on music
>>
>>65021913
In what way is Fragile better than Close to the Edge? That album was basically just them coming into form so that they could pull off Close to the Edge.
>>
Tales From the Topographic Oceans is better.
>>
>>65022024
That album is by definition pretentious as fuck. It was the opposite of what they should have done after Close to the Edge. Just look at how the album Close to the Edge is structured; They don't follow up the title track with this pompous twenty minute track to outdo the previous song. The first thing you hear following the climax of the title track is a guitar being tuned and strummed. It assumes no huge amount of importance right off the bad, but gradually builds to something beautiful. That's how Yes should have followed up Close to the Edge; Re-accessing their capabilities and building from there. But with Tales From Topographic Oceans, they were just like, "Lmao, we're totally topping Close to the Edge right now," when they totally weren't.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (853 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
853 KB, 1000x1000
I think Yes peaked twice desu, first with The Yes Album and then twice with CttE.
>>
>>65021113
There are actually a surprisingly significant number of bands that sound like, exactly like Yes

Try Starcastle, Wobbler and Albatross just to name a few (the Albatross song Devil's Strumpet even nicks an organ riff directly from Close to the Edge)
>>
>>65021138
>>65022024
The thing is, the reason Close to the Edge was so good is because they were in a place where their ambitions and their capabilities were completely matched, so they were able to execute what they had within them to it's fullest, resulting in a flawless album, and no matter how many sides of vinyl you fill up with single tracks, you're not going to recapture the magic that came through on that record.
>>
>>65022096
The Revealing Science of God is their best song they've ever made wtf.
>>
>>65022260
No it's not. Every single second on Close to the Edge makes complete and perfect sense in the full scope of the song. While the Revealing Science of God has some nice musical ideas throughout it, it just sounds like a collage for the most part, with fragments thrown together aimlessly meandering around. Whereas Close to the Edge had clear a sense of purpose everywhere it went, the Revealing Science of God's main aim as a piece seems to be to reach the twenty minute mark, and I feel that way about everything on Tales From Topographic Oceans. They were trying so hard to top Close to the Edge, because that seemed to be the pattern of their releases leading up to Close to the Edge, but there's so much audible effort.
>>
>>65022260
And another thing, there's nothing on Tales From Topographic Oceans that reaches the levels of intensity and beauty that are contained on Close to the Edge. The title track comes crashing in with a rising wave of ambiance shoved aside by a cluster of disorienting guitars on a doomy, confused chord with vocals blasting through the sonic haze like rays of sunlight. It's a very dramatic and visual intro alone that nothing on Tales quite matches. The synth solo that abruptly bursts in after the beautiful middle section of the track sounds both bright and sinister at the same time, in like with the track's theme of transitory existence. The whole piece reaches effortless natural heights that nothing on Tales From Topographic Oceans manages to touch, and yet it never assumes the whole attitude of being so incredibly important that Tales From Topographic Oceans has.
>>
>>65022475
The lyrics and synths on Revealing makes up for any mistakes the albums might have.
The song doesn't feel like 20 minutes, it's never boring, it's constantly enjoyable.
Close to the Edge isn't even in my top 3 Yes albums, I still really enjoy it but not nearly as much as Tales.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.