[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Mexican music have such minimal cultural impact on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Why does Mexican music have such minimal cultural impact on the US mainstream, even though the US is about 13% Mexican (similar to the black population percentage)? US "Hispanic" music tends to come from Dominicans/Puerto Ricans/Cubans.
>>
trust me dude, the Mexican music that's popular is even more repetitive and samey than U.S. pop
>>
>>65019820
That just means you're not on the west coast. Doesn't matter though as 99% is pure schlock
>>
Because accordions are annoying as shit.
>>
YO LA CONOCI EN UN TAXI
EN CAMINO AL CLUUUUUUUUUUUUUB
>>
File: mexicao america.jpg (168 KB, 1480x1270) Image search: [Google]
mexicao america.jpg
168 KB, 1480x1270
There was a short moment in the late 90s called the latin invasion when ricky martin, enrique iglesias, marc anthony, Jennifer lopez, and shakira took america by storm, then that died and havent heard a peep from the spics since
>>
That's because all the Mexican music it's SHIT specially pic related
>>
Best answer yet: too much of it plays it safe with tradition, the same way US radio pop plays it safe with tried and true vocal hooks and melodies.

Artists like El Guincho made it into the US hipster collective stream, but the fact that El Guincho is one of the few and only names a US hipster can name does not bode well.

I think as time passes and US music becomes more and more repetitve and watered down in all genres other countries will take notice. It wouldn't be the first time: plenty of amazing mexican skramz exists, plenty of amazing brazillian black metal... I simply believe and hope that in the future US mainstream starts taking some influence from others instead of vice versa
>>
>>65019820
This music is cancer. That genre specifically. It needs to die.
>>
Most of the people I'm around hate Mexican culture because they associated it with illegal aliens and shit.

Also I don't really like how the Spanish language sounds and Mexican Spanish especially.
>>
>>65020056
LMAO B U I L D
T H E
W A L L
>>
>>65020056
Kek, you're probably mistaking the "Chicano" dialect, for the "Mexican" Spanish.
>>
Another thing is that that Mexican accordion music is directly appropriated from German immigrants who showed them the accordion and then for some reason they loved it so much they never stopped using it.
Another thing is mexico is a very boring country musically, when rock music was big the mexican govenemnt killed it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_Rock_y_Ruedas_de_Av%C3%A1ndaro

>The festival remains a controversial issue in Mexican society.[106] After the festival, Mexican rock music was almost banned and was segregated to the so-called Hoyos Funkies, illegal gatherings in abandoned warehouses and supported mostly by the proletariat. A few years after the festival the hippie movement around the world collapsed and Mexico's La Onda was no exception, giving way to the ascension of other music genres of the mid-1970s such as Disco, Urban rock, Punk, Romantic Ballads, Heavy Metal, Progressive rock and, exclusively in the Mexican scene, the Rupestre movement championed by Rockdrigo Gonzalez.
>>
>>65020118
jesus fucking christ /pol/ if you would reach as far as you do in real life as you do in internet arguments you might just know the touch of your own dick
>>
>>65020144
its not a reach

http://spanish.about.com/cs/culture/f/germanmusicqa.htm

Question: Does Mexican music have German roots? I was listening to a radio station with an eclectic selection of music and I heard what I thought was a terrific German polka band. And then I found out that the band wasn't German at all, but Mexican. Is it just coincidence that so much Mexican music sounds like German oom-pah-pah?

Answer: It's no coincidence at all. The story of the Mexican style of music you're talking about had its origins in central Texas around 1830 when a few immigrants established the first German settlement. The word about Texas spread back home, and within a few years formal efforts were under way to help Germans establish themselves in what would become known as the German Belt.

At the time — and even now, to a certain extent — the Río Grande marked more of a political and geographical divide than a cultural one, and the musical styles of the immigrants became popular among those of Mexican heritage. One of the most important musical instruments of the Germans' musical style, the accordion, became especially popular and was frequently used in dance music such as waltzes and polkas.
>>
File: Halcon.jpg (464 KB, 851x2544) Image search: [Google]
Halcon.jpg
464 KB, 851x2544
>>65020180
I notice that some Mexican bands specifically bill themselves as "con acordeón," or sometimes "con tuba y acordeón," assuring listeners that they'll get a nice big dose of accordion.
>>
>>65020180
Interdastimg
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.