[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bowie's Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.png (606 KB, 685x737) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
606 KB, 685x737
>"It's one of those things I tell bands a lot - if you're having trouble coming up with things, just completely rip off another artist, make trying to imitate them your goal. Because the end result will not sound so much like that artist as you feared and in fact you will more often come up with something that sounds like yourself. Take Juliana Hatfield's "Fleur de Lys" - it is a note for note attempt to rewrite "Only Shallow" and she's admitted as much, but it sounds nothing like My Bloody Valentine because My Bloody Valentine did not make it"
-David Bowie

Is he right?
>>
File: memeschool.png (186 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
memeschool.png
186 KB, 330x330
>>
>>65014575
Yes
>>
No.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTg2G7no-fQ
>>
>>65014575
counter-point: All of post-grunge and Pearl Jam
>>
wow what a dumb hoe it's a complete ripoff
>>
He's right, but that Juliana Hatfield song sucks
>>
>>65014596
lol
>>
>>65014656
They sound nothing like Pearl Jam though, aside from all the singers sounding like they came 4th in an Eddie Vedder impersonation contest.
>>
I started emulating Brian Wilson's compositional and production style very heavily and it made me far more knowledgable and tasteful for both departments
>>
File: Juliana PITTS.jpg (26 KB, 600x407) Image search: [Google]
Juliana PITTS.jpg
26 KB, 600x407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly0edecfsZ0

this is actually pretty good, not cringe at all
>>
>>65014642
animal collective mixed with mbv
this is cool!
>>
>DUDE I WAS MARRIED TO KURT KOBAIN'S DAUGHTER AND STOLE HIS ENTIRE IMAGE AND TRIED TO MAKE A VIDEO EXACTLY IN THE STYLE OF AN EDGY 90S NIRVANA VIDEO ONLY THE SONG FUCKING SUCKS LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMz5VlaUic
>>
>>65014809
Is that the You Know You're Right riff?
>>
>>65014642
>>65014656
Well, I think Bowie is more so referring to artists who have already made their own material and are now stuck. Those bands set out to copy others from the get go, and are probably doing it for commercial reasons.
>>
>>65014575
My advice to you: don't listen to dead hacks. Bowie sounded like Frank Sinatra in his prime and did nothing to change the course of music.
>>
>>65015004
>did nothing to change the course of music
why would you want to do that?
The only reason anyone would bandwagon is for commercial reasons.
>>
>>65015004
hey man have a (you)
>>
Davin Bowie was a hack I have the evidence
>>
>>65014575
thats pretty much the same advice woody guthrie gave dylan.
>>
>>65015227
(you)
>>
>>65015271
>le have a (you) Xd reddit meme

fuck off
>>
>>65015295
Are you perturbed friend?
>>
>>65014575
that is from the chris ott ama on le reddit
>>
>>65015314

obviously i am
>>
>>65015338
That's what you get when you shit post friend.
>>
>>65015372

Dont call posts you dont like "shit posts", it really makes real shit post discussion and prevention hard
>>
>>65015407
When you make uneducated posts like "Bowie was a hack" of course I'm going to call you out on your bullshit.
>>
He has a point. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a obvious ripoff of More Than A Feeling and acknowledged by the band as such, but that never stopped anyone from listening to it.
>>
This is kind of true, actually. If you're really stuck for ideas, pluck a rhythm from a song and play it with different notes, then fuck around with that, and voila you're there. Kind of.
>>
>>65014642
Fuck this kid. Ugly ass mouth and voice
>>
>>65015454

Dave was a hacky guy.
>>
This is not a Bowie quote.
>>
>>65015004
top kek, he started glam rock, punk, new wave etc on top of being one of the most consistent strong song writers of all time, with an extremely extensive back catalogue.
>>
>>65015597
This
>>
>>65015597
Google says this is from a reddit iama with chris ott, the former pitchfork reviewer who had a bunch of his old reviews removed from the site.

not bowie
>>
>>65015606
>david bowie started punk

holy fuck anon wtf are you talking about?
>>
Bowie wasn't talking about actually ripping off artists, like stealing melodies and actual tidbits he was talking about understanding the machine that wrote the songs and thus being able to compose your own quality songs. Billy Corgan talks about this concept here. Inb4 Corgan was terrible, He was actually one of the best ALt rock writers of the 90's up there with Thom yourke.
>>
>>65015787
Created wasn't the perfect word, Punk was heavily influenced by bowie.
>>
Copying someone you admire's style is really useful for developing good techniques, but if you actually release those copy tracks instead of just keeping them to yourself, you're a hack
>>
Every artist is a collage of other artists.
>>65015931
Literally every Dylan album has lines that are more or less copied word for word. Is Dylan a hack?
>>
>>65015597

Does that even matter
>>
Kasich
>>
>>65014575

Read Elvis Costello's "Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink." This is, in essence, his song writing strategy.

The Beatles wanted to be Buddy Holly.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.