[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw trying to explain shoegaze to my friend >"Oh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1462772774893.jpg (193 KB, 1253x1594) Image search: [Google]
1462772774893.jpg
193 KB, 1253x1594
>tfw trying to explain shoegaze to my friend
>"Oh so its noise?"
>mfw
>>
>>65013717
melodic noise is a pretty good description
>>
>>65013735
I tried to phrase it exactly like that but he felt that was an oxymoron
>>
>>65013735
that's a fucking terrible description

I'm pretty sure the guy would've better understood if you explained how shoegaze was coined in reference to the guitarists focusing on their many fx pedals, and how the genre heavily relies on reverb, delay and looping for layers of sound. Harmonically, the music is often similar to dream-pop, which uses a lot of maj7, min7, maj9 and min9 chords. To the non-musician, this could be explained as sweet-sounding chords tinged with a little tension.

This is why learning to play instruments and learning theory helps. And before you go on a "theory is just ego masturbation" rant, watch this short video for your short attention span: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=49alQj7c5ps
>>
>listening to MBV in the hospital and the nurse asks me what I'm listening to
>My Bloody Valentine
>"Oh are they a metal band or something?"
>>
>>65014901

That's the probably with MBV, the name is so edgy and cringey that I expected something akin to A Bullet for my Valentine. Meanwhile, the music they make is very beautiful and relaxing.
>>
>>65013717
Shoegaze is just pop songs drowned in reverb and distorted guitars
>>
I mean she missed your label, but by applying the a more patrician schema
>>
File: iceberg.png (218 KB, 200x545) Image search: [Google]
iceberg.png
218 KB, 200x545
Is shoegaze really "level 4" deep?
>>
>>65015365
no, this chart is retarded
>>
>>65014840
thanks for the video but try to be more like the guy in the video and less like an asshole
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.