[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i git gud at song writing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: file.png (421 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
file.png
421 KB, 600x401
how do i git gud at song writing?
>>
give it 5 years of shitty writing. you'll eventually get okay
>>
practice
>>
>asking a board of music autists who take pride in musical obscurity how to write a song with complexity and lasting appeal
>>
>>64823221
THIS

The poseurs from /daily/ basically killed this board
>>
people tell me to go outside but where do i go
>>
>>64823269
dude you like have to like live life and do stuff and put it in song form or something
>>
Here are a few things that might lead you somewhere:
>Write what you know
Yes, you're song about how your dog died in your suburban childhood might be boring, but the emotions in it could resonate through the song better than if you faked a more interesting idea
>Melody and its accompaniment might be the most important thing
Your lyrics could be completely esoteric but as long as they dont make people cringe and they allow the melody to be enunciated in a pleasing way, it doesn't matter.
>Work on something for a session, but if its not memorable afterwords, scrap it.
If you don't love it, why would somebody else?
>Copy your favorite artists
You know that guitar riff you like? Maybe use the same strumming pattern but different chords. or maybe use the same chords in a different order. Many famous musicians admit to copying their idols at first.
>>
>>64823209
practice how? just write garbage?

>>64823269
>>64823349
>going outside
>>
What kind of music do you want to write op?
>>
try plagiarizing two different songs and combining elements of each into a new, unrecognizable phrase
>>
>>64823077
Listen to good songwriters and stidy their music dipshit
>>
>>64823269
Don't you worry none about getting experience sugar. Just go on out and stand on the train tracks. It'll be along shortly.
>>
>>64823077
Write more. Don't stop. One day you'll become Chris Martin.
>>
>>64823587
my advice is pretty similar to this.

>listen to songwriters that you like
>play/transcribe their work
>take some aspect of it (form, chord progression, etc) and use it in a piece of your own, if only for practice

you'll consciously learn about a lot of things that you like and internalize a few more
>>
>>64823269
deep
>>
According to Bob Dylan,

"If you like someone's work, the important thing is to be exposed to everything that person has been exposed to."

So find out who influenced your favorite songwriters, and then listen to those artists.

inflooenz.com

I also like checking out books and movies that my favorite artists like. Do some research and figure out what they're into
>>
>>64823209
this. but if you don't have talent practice won't help so my advice is not to try
>>
>>64823077
your born with the talent just give it up
>>
you either have the talent or you dont.

practice helps tho.

and listen to your favorite songs and analyze what makes them good, dont copy but take influence from them.
>>
>>64823077
drugs
>>
>>64823077
>D, E, C, D, G, E

wew. so hard...
>>
>>64823077
Reading
>>
>>64823269
Nice lyrics fampai
>>
>>64823077
>pick a scale
>tell the computer to play randomly on it
>wait for something cool to happen
>write and built the rest on that
>?????
>profit
>>
>>64823077
appropriate the music of a minority culture
>>
>>64823269
>thinly veiled lyrics r8 post
>>
>>64823077
Do a shit load of drugs
>>
>>64823077

>making music

music is full, fuck off
>>
Listen to music you would have trouble writing yourself.

It's easy to shitpost that music is subjective, but this facade falls apart as soon as you think whether you could actually compose something like that yourself. It's an instant reality check -- music falls into two halves, the lazy half and the actually-took-talent half. So perform this check with everything you listen to, only listen to the latter, and memorize as much as you can of what they're doing.
>>
>>64829825
post your 5 top progressive doomfunk artists
>>
>>64829860
>music falls into two halves, the lazy half and the actually-took-talent half
>turning obvious continuums into dichotomies
>>
>>64829916
>hur it's a continuum so the distinction is meaningless
>>
>>64823077
Be born with natural talent and then work your ass off.
>>
>>64831096
This. Talent without practice is worthless, but so is practice without talent.
>>
>>64829925
>implying I was implying
>>
just translate an obscure song in a foreign language
pretty much the same
>>
>>64827962
Exactly this.
I used to steal bits of Kevin Barnes' progressions when I got lost as to what to do next. Eventually I picked up what to do and now I write songs that I like to play :)
Nice advice anon
>>
>>64823077
Pay attention to bass line-vocal melody interaction in songs you like, it's pretty important if you want to write something catchy me thinks
For example
King Crimson - Thela Hun Ginjeet
Roxy Music - If There Is Something
The Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin', Jumpin' Jack Flash
J.J. Cale - Travellin' Light
Some Talking Heads, PiL etc.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.