[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the most overrated guitarist of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1280px-Eric_Clapton_2.jpg (135 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Eric_Clapton_2.jpg
135 KB, 1280x853
Is he the most overrated guitarist of all time?
>>
Nah that's Keith Richards.
>>
Who's the most 'overrated' guitarist that actually lives up to the hype?
>>
>>64818460
Baby boomers and wrong generationers overrate him but /mu/ underrates him. If he had left the music industry forever after Derek and the Dominoes broke up he would be universally loved. It's a shame that his painfully dull solo career permanently tarnished his reputation.
>>
>>64818993
Think about what you just wrote
>>
>>64818460
People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fuckin' ledge and write a song about it?
>>
>>64819187
*in order to write a song about it
>>
Clapton is to blues what Vanilla Ice is to rap.

>coddled middle class whiteboy who didn't have what it took to pull it off
>>
>>64819147

overrated post, underrated hype
>>
>>64819147
I mean what guitarists get called underrated but don't deserve to be because they're rated just right?
>>
>>64819298
*overrated
>>
>>64819187
>Yardbirds
>John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
>Cream
>Blind Faith
>Derek & the Dominos
>>
>>64819366

that list made me sleepy
>>
File: Christgau Clapton.png (173 KB, 1559x789) Image search: [Google]
Christgau Clapton.png
173 KB, 1559x789
>>
File: layla.jpg (426 KB, 1500x1486) Image search: [Google]
layla.jpg
426 KB, 1500x1486
>>64819391
John Mayall and his band were a major and influential British blues act.
Cream practically invented the super-group and helped established the guitars/bass/drums power trio in rock music.
Derek & the Dominos made pic related
>>
>>64819454
true, but after all that he gradually became basically just a tribute act to himself
>>
>>64819438
I haven't listened to Behind The Sun, but I guess Clapton is trying to sound like Vince Neil here.
>>
He has a new album due out next week. ;)
>>
>>64819677

itll be fine
>>
>>64819228
I mean, yeah, he was good as a rock guitarist but trying to be a straight bluesman doesn't work when you came from a sheltered middle class upbringing. Only Stevie Ray Vaughn and Johnny Winter pulled that shit off and mostly because of their white trash Texas origins.
>>
>>64818460
very influential, more than most people realise but yes quite overrated. mick taylor wipes the floor with him
>>
Sorry you lost your son, Eric, but Pilgrim was so shitty that we couldn't feel your pain at all.
>>
jimi hendrix is pretty overrated
>>
>>64819604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOI_g9uKwYg

Not exactly, but love that dated 80s sound.
>>
Was just listening to Riding With The King. Seems pretty phoned in, especially on BB King's part.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.