[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Mu/sicians thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: James-Franco.jpg (54 KB, 600x403) Image search: [Google]
James-Franco.jpg
54 KB, 600x403
Hey guys, how do you go about making new material? What do you play, and what order to you compose songs in?

I personally write music on guitar while I sing and I have to make a chord progression first. After that, I will spice up the progression with arpeggios, hammer ons/pull offs, fills, mess with the strumming pattern etc. At this point, I start writing lyrics and making the melody at the same time. Unfortunately I'm very bad at writing lyrics and am trying to get better.

How do you bros approach this process?
>>
Do I need more memes to get attention to a thread?

Do you see how many threads in the catalog are shitposts that barely have anything to do with music?

Jesus christ
>>
>>64784628
idk op. everything i make is a mess
>>
>>64785454
Most of us aren't musicians amigo. So there's not gonna be a lot of people who can help you. Most of us just listen to music and don't make it.
>>
>>64786660
How do you go about it, what's been your most successful attempt?

>>64786679
I know that most of you aren't musicians, it's the fact that so few of you are musicians that throws me off. How can you be elitist about music when you can't even create music yourself and have no idea how it works?
>>
>>64786817
It's a very very small portion of people who have the time, motivation, and talent to become musicians.

Also that's how elitism works. Just because you're more pleb than someone else doesn't mean you can't shit on someone even more pleb than yourself. Besides, without a healthy dose of elitism any music discussion becomes impossible
>>
I think reading good literature and poetry would help with lyrics. You have to get some sense of it.
>>
still looking for that person who would want to sing to my guitar. I just can't manage to write something substantial and don't have a voice.

sadly most people I ask decline due to shame or something. Its also difficult to find someone with non-accent english where I live.
>>
>>64784628
Hey /moo/bie

I dabbled in some pop-rock shit for a class once (think like early Weezer except less catchy). Usually what I do is I think of something I want to write about/emotions I want to bring out, then think how that would work as a song. Then I choose a key to accompany it, head with a fairly standard chord progression (not like I-V-vi-IV but still ez because I'm new to this stuff), and set the structure. If I want anything big in the song, I usually ramp it up in either the bridge/bridge-resembling-section or the outro. Then after that, I start putting in melodies and shite (although I do suck at melodies), maybe different parts (ie drum beat, bassline, etc). So that's my basic way of writing a slightly generic song.

Keep on the grind; we're gonna make it someday! ;u;7
>>
>>64786975
>It's a very very small portion of people who have the time, motivation, and talent to become musicians.

Totally disagree. It takes as much time as any hobby. It just takes a few months before you can make anything worth listening to.

The elitism is misplaced is what I'm saying. It's pretentious.

>>64787050
I've decided I'm going to pick songs that I like lyrically, type it out and then go from there. I feel like poetry would be hard to translate into song in many cases no?
>>
>>64784628
I have a "band" with a friend of mine. For the most part, I record riffs and interesting progressions or meloodic ideas into my phone's voice memos app and when I feel a bit creative I'll listen back and try to expand and alter on a couple to make a song that flows between different musical ideas well.

Lyrics come last, I go for imagery more than stories but that's a personal preference, it's sort of the Lennon vs McCartney lyrical style, everyone's a bit different.

In terms of little flairs and solos to "spice it up" as you said, I leave that to my bandmate, as though I'm the better writer he's a far better technical musician than I am. He typically puts down a bass line as well unless I have one in mind that's part of the song melodically.

Not sure if that helps. I can only write when I'm in the right state of mind, which can be months apart sometimes.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.