[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tom Waits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 188x268
What does /mu/ think of Tom Waits?
>>
>>64782979
Flawless discog.
>>
>>64782979
consistently good but never really briliant.
>>
One of the few artists that are near "universally liked"
>>
>>64782979
One of my favorite artists with an amazing discography
>>
Hipster crap.
>>
Kentucky Avenue is the saddest song I've ever heard.
>>
Great artist also best night cruising music.
>>
pretentious edgelord
>>
>>64782979
GOAT
>>
Rain Dogs is the Kid A of the '80s
>>
one of the greatest of all time

feels like he never made the ultimate Tom Waits -album that would combine the best of his 70's drunk crooner storytelling with the more interesting music he started making when he sobered up and got married

something that combines the best of, say, Small Change, Rain Dogs and Bone Machine

Alice and Mule Variations were good, but I don't think he ever did better than Swordfishtrombones and there he was still just discovering his new sound
>>
Step Right Up best track

(note jazz legend Shelly Manne on drums)
>>
I'm not the biggest fan of his 70s work, but holy fuck is Closing Time fantastic. Really like his post-80s output as well.
>>
Nighthawks at the Diner is underrated as fuck
>>
THAT FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL
>>
Like the Charles Bukowski of music.
>>
>>64782979

Drunk hobo core
>>
alright, what are your top 3 tracks from Orphans and overall favourite Waits album - I have a theory that there's something profound in what parts of Orphans people like:

mine are Take Care of All My Children, You Can Never Hold Back Spring and Danny Says

best album is Swordfishtrombones
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 525x895) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 525x895
>>64784894
more like the John Fante if you knew anything about literature
>>
>>64782979
incredible
>>
I've tried, but I can't really get into this guy. I like his aesthetic and compared to my other tastes I feel like I should like him, but when I listen I just don't.
>>
>>64785075
that's Jandek tho
>>
>>64785163
What albums did you listen to?
He did pretty much everything throughout his career.
>>
>>64785075
damn his hands are huge
>>
>>64785217
Yeah and he's laughing at you
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.