[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About Death Grips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: deathgrips.jpg (189 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
deathgrips.jpg
189 KB, 1920x1080
so the whole appeal behind Death Grips is that they're 'meta', right?

the hype comes from simply being in your 20's; paranoid; depressed and angsty. The music is just releasing energy in the form of music. The fact that the lead singer is black differentiates it from every other punk/metal band, which is why it's trending.

Is this objectively correct?
>>
This asshole be in pussy church
>>
>>64779012
Dude is that a haircut?
>>
>>64778972
>The music is just releasing energy in the form of music.

This is also true for the entirety of black metal.
>>
>>64778972
>objectively
Don't use words if you haven't learned their definitions yet; it makes you look stupid.
>>
>>64778972
i like this picture. One guy going this way, the other guy going that, and the space in the middle like whaddya want from me
>>
>>64778972
>being in your 20's

You should be pretty embarrassed if you're over 18 and actually like Death Grips
>>
>>64778972
Yes. Although the term is much overused and almost devoid of all meaning by this point, Death Grips are a meme band at its truest.
>>
>>64779215
Calling Death Grips a meme is a meme itself

You guys should try harder

>>64778972
>The fact that the lead singer is black

Is it autism?
>>
>>64779121
objectively: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion. 6. intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.

u twat
>>
In 2011 I was in 11th grade and was starting to expand my music taste out of just dad rock and wu tang so I would browse music blog sites looking for like what some Great stuff was and I stumbled across ExMilitary.

I downloaded it and HATED IT but something about Klink caught my ear and even though I hated 95% of the album I never deleted it and every day I would bike 40 minutes there and back to my girlfriends house and my go to album was ExMilitary I listened to it endlessly trying to figure out why people liked it because there was something there that kept me coming back. And over time songs would click with me and 1 by 1. And every new listen I had a new favorite song.

By the time the money store came out ExMilitary was my favorite album probably ever. This was about the time when mu blew up because fandango gave it a 10/10 and I couldn't have been more excited and I listened to TMS and once again fucking hated it. The only song I liked was hacker and even that I wasn't a fan of. But just like with ExM I would listen to it on my daily bike ride 1 time there and 1 time back and just like ExM every time a song would catch me until I loved the album.

Rinse and repeat for the next 5 years and death grips are my favorite band and I love every single release as much as the last.

The appeal and the draw is the music. It's the best pop music of the 2010s theres so much depth in every album that you can't get sick of and the hooks just stick with you and you'll have your favorite lyrics and moments but there's so much heart and quality in every song that if you stick with an album over multiple Listens you'll love it.

But aside from that of course the aesthetic and mystery of the band is awesome and is just another layer of what makes them such an incredible overall act.
>>
its a fad. its just the edgy thing cool to like nowadays. it was the same with limb bizkit linking park korn or w/e. in a few years everyone will look back at them with cringe
>>
>>64778972
BECAUSE THEYR DOPE AS FUCK
ELECTRICAL POETS OF THE INTERNET AGE
AND YOURE A FUCKIN FAGGOT IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HOW RELEVANT AND GREAT THEYRE ARE
MC RIDE IS THE VOICE OF THE 10'S
>>
>>64781795
This board has been calling them FOTM for 5 years and using this same argument. Theres a point after dropping 7 critically acclaimed albums you need to give up. Odd future or hops in was cringy FOTM, there's a reason people keep loving their albums and why the threads haven't died in 5 years.

Also there's literally no edge to their music it's just really fun catchy music.
>>
>>64782039
>no edge
kek they're the edgiest bro
>>
>>64778972
>the hype comes from simply being in your 20's; paranoid; depressed and angsty.
No it's from being a fuccboi cuck
>>
>>64782039
>Theres a point after dropping 7 critically acclaimed albums you need to give up

But why? None of their albums sound the same and they're as better as ever. They haven't burnt out yet so there's no need for them to stop.

>Also there's literally no edge to their music

Now that is objectively wrong.
>>
hey! lets all pretend industrial rap is something new!

death grips are a plen honeypot
>>
>>64782304
he means plebs need to give up on trying to meme DG as a worthless passing phase meme
>>
>>64781613
is this a copypasta
>>
>>64778972
I mean I legitimately liked them because I liked the sound of their music. I mean I know this is just a meme b8 post but thought I'd give my 2 cents.
>>
>>64778972
I listened to bottomless pit recently

Maybe Ilike my music to sound like a symphony where sounds match together in a style. It just sounds like noise
>>
>>64782304
>But why? None of their albums sound the same and they're as better as ever. They haven't burnt out yet so there's no need for them to stop.

You read my post wrong I meant people calling them flavor of the month and that it's just a fad need to leave
>>
who /jizz snowmen/ here
>>
File: fuck man.jpg (16 KB, 271x336) Image search: [Google]
fuck man.jpg
16 KB, 271x336
>tfw reading on GP's lyrics

is MC Ride really fucked up and psychotic bros? I hope he's ok

Also I have to read the lyrics coz I can't understand a singe square FUCK he's saying

anyone else have this problem?
>>
>>64782959
Honestly he probably writes down the first thing that comes to mind, so he's probably not really psychotic.
>>
>>64779088
No It's a pussy turd
>>
File: blank-stare.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
blank-stare.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>64782690
>. I mean I know this is just a meme b8 post but thou
>>
>>64781795
Nah this is not like Korn or limp bizkit lol you fucking idiot
>>
>>64782829
aye
>>
Just like any popular "alternative" or experimental music, there is going to be some fashion to it. Like, "all the cool kids like death grips." What's funny about death grips is that I get the impression that a lot of "fans" don't even listen to the albums, just a handful of songs.

Anyway, DG is a great band, fashion aside. I don't know what's your metric for objectivity in music, but they are innovative in production, unique in sound, influential in the industry, and divisive in their reception. Sounds like good art to me
>>
>>64778972

I like dance music.

I like hip-hop.

I like abrasive noise/aggressive punk music.

Death Grips just happens to do all three incredibly well while rarely sounding like anything else and writing catchy songs. On top of that, the "universe" they've created and their antics as a band keep them interesting.

ffs, it's not that deep. Fun, interesting, music.
>>
>>64778972
The apparent appeal comes from producing songs and albums that are well received by the kind of people who browse and post on /mu/

Also increased visibility because all the memes
>>
>>64784041
You have a rational view here but I think you're wrong about DG not being deep. MC Ride has hermetic symbols tattooed all over his body and shit. Zach Hill is an accelerationist. Flatlander is some kind of techno futurist. These people probably have some big and weird ideas-- not too much of a stretch to think these ideas could be embedded in their music.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.