[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
honestly, Visiting Friends is one of the greatest pieces of ambient
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: sungtongs.jpg (18 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
sungtongs.jpg
18 KB, 225x224
honestly, Visiting Friends is one of the greatest pieces of ambient music i've ever heard. the effects being used on it makes it hypnotic, wavy, but it's so abstract because acoustic guitar is basically the only used instrument, no synths or any traditional ambient instruments. It's so hard to associate the music to any images or moods because the combination of production and instrumentation makes it so abstract. Does any of this make sense?
>>
nerd
>>
Listen to more music.

t. hardcore AnCo fan that enjoys Visiting Friends
>>
>>64773818
>t.
what did he mean by this
>>
Agreed OP.

Too bad they went to shit after this album.
>>
>>64773993
well i do love MPP and SJ
>>
>>64773993
>>64773818
why cant we have a discussion about objectively good music without people spewing out contradictory opinions for the sake of being a jackass
>>
>>64773993
Centipede Hz and Painting With are literally their two best.
>>
>>64774090
i don't know honestly
>>
>>64774173
the entire run of Leaf House to Visiting Friends is some of the most cathartic music i've ever listened to
>>
>>64774258
that's cool and all, but people have discussed this hundreds of times on this board already

go find us an album that we haven't heard of
>>
>>64774303
you dont have to browse this thread you know
>>
>>64774303
surely you have better things to do than complain about other people talking about music on a music board

or would you rather us post the same pictures of grimes and lauren mayberry and shitpost about death grips and radiohead
>>
>>64774303
make us
>>
>>64774303
Golly mister, what if someone has just heard this for the first time today? Are they allowed to discuss it then? Or would that sear your eyes like the Ark of the Covenant?
>>
But i do associate it with images and moods. I just imagine myself walking through a long road in autumn with a lot of leaves in the ground. The walk basically is quiet and all i do is appreciate the view until finally after 12 minutes i reach my friend's house. Visiting friends.
>>
>>64774709
Well great, i wasn't saying it's impossible i'm just saying i find it to be very abstract compared to other ambient music. I do see things when i listen to it but the images are blurry and wavy, like i'm looking at photographies under water. No other piece of music has produced this feeling in me so that's why i'm telling the world
>>
It's too repetitive for its entire 12-minute long length. Very little different stuff happens over the twelve minute length to justify said length. Go listen to real ambient music or actually good minimalist pieces.
>>
>>64774891
i listened to this today and it felt like it was 5 minutes long because it's like a dreamlike underwater state that you get lost in. And if we're gonna compare ambient.
> too repetitive for its entire 12-minute long length
I've heard hour-long ambient pieces that are way more repetitive than this
>>
yeah that track is just an ambient banger ready to turn the dancefloor into a fucking warzone
>>
>>64773954
It means "source: ______"
You fucking pleb
>>
>>64774420
Honestly if an album has been mentioned on /mu/ before then there's no reason to post it again
>>
I always imagine anco fans to be 16 year olds who live in the suburbs

Todays post proved it.
>>
>>64776299
I'm 20 in the city and I'm an AnCo fan
>>
>>64776117
is this a new meme?
>>
>>64776490
fresh melon meme
>>
>>64776490
Fantano said it in his DG review
>>
>>64774118
Care to explain your uncommon opinion?
>>
>>64776141
It actually means regards in Finnish you ultra pleb
>>
>>64776299
This is true. This was one of my favorite albums when I was 16. Now, I never listen to it and I only listen to stuff like Swans and Coil.
>>
>>64777832
I always imagine Swans fans to be 17 year olds who live in the suburbs

Todays post proved it.
>>
>>64778694
This is true. Soundtracks For The Blind used to be my favorite album when I was 17. Now, I never listen to it and I only listen to stuff like This Heat and Faust.
>>
>>64778862
I always imagine Faust fans to be 18 year olds who live in the suburbs

Todays post proved it.
>>
>>64773794
I agree with you, but I quite disagree with a lot interpretations about how 'Visiting Friends' is a metaphor for sex. It's about the fluidity of life, not adultery.
>>
>>64779103
like the name is a metaphor for sex
i don't see how the music could be a metaphor for anything
>>
>>64778952
This is true. Faust's s/t used to be my favorite album when I was 18. Now, I never listen to it and I only listen to stuff on the radio as background music when I'm at work because I grew up and became a responsible adult.
>>
>>64779271
I always imagine responsible adults to be 19 year olds who live in the suburbs

todays post proved it
>>
Yo check out Vladislav Delay and Gas, both of those peeps were big influences on AnCo's forays into ambiance.
>>
>>64779435
i will thanks
>>
>>64779435
I always imagine Vladislav Delay and Gas fans to be 20 year olds who live in the suburbs

todays post proved it.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.