[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /mu/ hate this album so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 91sqAJFwmJL._SL1400_.jpg (895 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
91sqAJFwmJL._SL1400_.jpg
895 KB, 1400x1400
Why does /mu/ hate this album so much?
>>
It's overproduced dream pop garbage. Every college yuppy and their mother is trying to recreate this bullshit and it needs to stop.
>>
>>64767408
Complete garbage from a once above average band
>>
>>64767408

Pitch4k gave it a high score
>>
File: folder.jpg (193 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
193 KB, 500x500
Because it's dogshit.

Post dream pop that isn't dogshit.
>>
/mu/ is wrong on this one. it's a great album.
>>
>>64767408

Because /mu/ has always disliked Tame Impala, and it being pop just gave them another arbitrary reason to hate this.

It's a solid fucking pop album. The Let's Dance of today.
>>
File: can-stock-photo_csp16968465.jpg (36 KB, 449x470) Image search: [Google]
can-stock-photo_csp16968465.jpg
36 KB, 449x470
Instagram used to be strange. Before it became a “social platform,” it was billed as a single-purpose image editing tool, and even now it’s not difficult to remember how the filters (especially “Toaster” and “Kelvin”) were recognizable as poor approximations of what analog photography “looked like.” Instagram became ridiculous. Your parents and grandparents signed up, and the spontaneous aspect of the filters was all but completely forgotten as you saw them applied to so many pictures of meals and sunsets that the unchanging formula became transparent. It’s easy to see how Instagram might have once been useful for assigning affective sensitivity or a warmth of tone to an otherwise unspectacular unit of content, but now each post is a little bit of a parody. Instagram is, to me, evidence of an obvious and banal truth: that if your understanding of the past is reductive or overly simple and you nonetheless attempt to put the past to work, productively organizing the past in the service of reframing the present, what you get is similarly reduced and simplified.

Tame Impala is the Instagram of rock bands. I often wonder what the most perfect iteration of Tame Impala would be to Kevin Parker or to fans of his music (would he just sound even more like John Lennon?). I know it’s unfair to take a piece of music to imagined logical conclusions, but I’ve always felt a little intellectually insulted by Tame Impala albums because they confront me with a logic that really is that simple. As with Instagram, what appears to be the singular affective nuance ends up being a simple formula. Just add a particular guitar tone, lots of phaser and tremolo, and that Lennon affectation to any rock song and you’ve got it. The feeling of listening to Currents is the same as that of seeing a photo with the “Toaster” filter slapped over it for the 50th time.
>>
>>64767709
Holy Fuck why can't the rest of this god forsaken site be this thought out and legitimate in its "discussions"
>>
>>64767709
My favourite part of that review is "The Beatles" written with inverted commas when describing other music like it
>>
>>64767809
Wow you must be a complete idiot to agree with it though, currents is the least Beatles sounding ever Kevin's done and to say it's nothing more than effects is not legitimate in the slightest
>>
>>64767709
I like Sun's Coming Up and Be Above It.
>>
>>64767661
That's actually a perfect description.
>>
>>64767922
Didn't know Currents existed. Just downloaded, and so far I think it's just fine.

Then again, my palette is not tuned for comparison, nor a hazy metric of quality. Perhaps people have skewed their perception by occluding and distorting it with trivial clutter that doesn't actually matter relative to human experience as it truly is at its more base layers.

Delineating and defining things tends to result in recursion until you reach the limitations of your mental hardware at a given point in time. I really don't see the purpose, and I don't think there's any good reason for listening and experiencing this way.
>>
>>64767709
Fuck man, don't read into things like that. It's just music, the band wants to make money and makes fun songs for people to buy and enjoy, that's it.

If you like a song/band, great.
If not, forget about it.

Not everything is some big grand statement.
>>
>>64767631
Literally this. Give AMSP a month. People will be shitting on it and telling you you have shit taste for liking it.
>>
>>64768766
It's ironic really. That poster is one of many that has gotten stuck on a search for novelty to such an extent that not only do they miss out on a lot along the way, they prevent themselves from finding depth or the very novelty they crave, within the things they first see as typical.

Sometimes you need to realize there are two sides to the coin, and the problem very well could be just as much you.
>>
>>64768812
Like clockwork

This place is more predictable than r / music sometimes
>>
>>64767709
Not meming, this is one of the best posts I've ever read. Based anon.
>>
>>64767709

i like saying instagram is shit, and I used to hate Currents, but now I actually like it because >>64768766 and >>64768837 are right
>>
>>64767639
Never heard this, thanks anon!
>>
>>64769095
Its from tmt you faggot retard
>>
>>64767709
i enjoy currents, but well said.
>>
Trying to get a approval. It's weird how people with issues try to make themselves be accepted by being dicks, only to be outcasted.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.