[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Sonic Youth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: Sonic Youth - Goo (1990).jpg (199 KB, 1239x1228) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Youth - Goo (1990).jpg
199 KB, 1239x1228
What does /mu/ think of Sonic Youth?
>>
Titanium Expose is great, the rest is 7/10 or worse
>>
Their career:

Pretty good -> Fucking amazing -> Pretty good -> Boring
>>
Xgau loves, loves, loves these guys.
>>
>>64763982
how many bands can you say this about holy fuck i went to cliche city
>>
File: 1453223572943.jpg (76 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
1453223572943.jpg
76 KB, 466x700
Daydream Nation > Sister > EVOL > Bad Moon Rising > Washing Machine > Confusion is Sex > Goo > Dirty > Murry Street > Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star > Rather Ripped > The Eternal > Sonic Nurse > NYC Ghosts & Flowers > A Thousand Leaves.

i still think their worst album is a 6/10. they have a pretty good discography
>>
/mu/ hates Sonic Youth now for some reason. Sorry, OP.
>>
released some solid albums over the years. introduced me to more experimental music
>>
>>64765432
They're one of my favourite bands of all time, speak for yourself.
>>
>>64765432
since when?
>>
They're very New York; actually they come off as beatniks updated for the 80s-90s.
>>
>>64765376
Everyone leaves out Kill Yr Idols and Self Titled.
>>
>>64765240
>New York band
>punk/alternative
>Christgau thinks they're the second coming of Jesus
Duh?
>>
File: daydream nation2.jpg (83 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
daydream nation2.jpg
83 KB, 1000x1000
Daydream Nation is easily the best rock album since 80s
>>
80's Youth > late 90's Youth > 2000's Youth > early 90's Youth
>>
>>64765514
those are EPs, m8. i ranked only albums. but yea, those are pretty good EPs
>>
they're amazing, goo was my first sonic youth album

hated it at first but i was just too pussy for anything even closely related to punk
>>
>>64765616
>2000's Youth > early 90's Youth
Get a load of this contrarian
>>
Goo is as early 90s as it gets, has a lot of that Pulp Fiction vibe to it.
>>
>>64765432
We do?
>>
>>64765653

Goo is their worst, Dirty is a generous lower mid tier album, and EJS is EJS. Meanwhile, Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are great, Rather Ripped is good for what it is, and The Eternal is about on par with Dirty.
>>
I kinda want to get into Sonic Youth now, where should I start?
>>
>>64765788
Daydream Nation first, then Sister and EVOL. If you want something more aggressive, listen to Confusion is Sex, otherwise Goo.
>>
>>64765752
ITS POPULAR SO ITS THE WORST
>>
>>64765812
thanks senpai
>>
okay but I never feel like listening to them

I, like, 'recognize' them though
>>
>>64765812
DN is only a good start for people into noise rock. if they arent, Goo and Dirty are better
>>
>>64765788

Sister, then Daydream Nation. Go to Goo and Dirty if you want easier music or reverse chronological order from Evol if you want something more experimental.
>>
>>64765752
>Good is their worst
its really not. their worst is NYC Ghosts & Flowers. and that album isnt even bad.

EJS has some very good songs but overall is pretty underwhelming
>>
>>64765843

I legitimately like Goo the least. Popularity has nothing to do with it. Aside from Tunic, Mote, and Scooter + Jinx I can barely remember anything from it.
>>
Thurston is kind of an ultimate asshole desu.
>>
>>64766017
Dirty Boots and Kool Thing are fucking excellent, unless you're a contrarian.
>>
>>64766034
go to bed Nardwuar. Thurston did nothing wrong
>>
>>64766043

Having dissenting opinions = contrarian, it seems. Sorry, I'm not a huge fan of either song.
>>
I mostly remember them from appearing on the Simpsons; also I must say that Kim's voice acting performance there sounded like she was forced to read her lines at gunpoint (which knowing Thurston was probably the case).
>>
>>64766043
he's not being a contrarian fucking christ almighty, goo is just overrated you sheep

baaaaaahhhhhh
>>
>>64766112
No, disliking good songs because they're the singles off their most commercially successful album is contrarian.
>>
>>64766239

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I enjoy songs like Sunday, The Empty Page, Bull In The Heather, and Incinerate just fine, though.
>>
>>64766287
>Bull In The Heather
>the girl from that video hnnngg
>>
Never been much into the punk/alternative scene desu.
>>
Anybody ever noticed that the quality of their albums strangely correlates with how many songs Lee sing on?
>>
I only listen to Daydream Nation and Goo, how pleb am I /mu/?
>>
>>64765240
They dissed him on Kill Yr Idols.
>>
>>64765601
agreed. i'm convinced it's the best rock album ever. but that's just my opinion
>>
they're my favorite band

>>64767243
do you like them? if so i'd say not that pleb. those are great albums. maybe check out washing machine next. it's one of my favorites
>>
>>64765500
i've never realized it until now, but they totally give off the beatnik vibe
>>
>>64767927
It's a New York thing.
>>
File: albumart.jpg (682 KB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
albumart.jpg
682 KB, 1100x1100
anyone else excited for this?
>>
>>64768101
That was one of the distinguishing factors they had back in the day, that they neither looked or sounded like the norm for 80s rawk. See here - no huge poofy hair or leather pants among them, it was the anti-rock star ideal that became mainstream in the following decade.
>>
>>64768211
totally. Sonic youth might be one of the coolest bands to have ever existed
>>
>>64765432
speak for yourself
>>
>>64765601
Agreed 100%
>>
never really understood the hate for goo...

I reckon Tunic is top 5 SY tune
>>
File: 1445199.jpg (53 KB, 377x361) Image search: [Google]
1445199.jpg
53 KB, 377x361
Early SY > everything they made

Pic related is a masterpiece of no wave and noise rock
>>
>>64763535
Thurston Moore is some really nice dude
>>
>>64770228
Goo is solid as fuck, the perfect companion album to Daydream Nation
>>
>>64767115
In what way?
>>
>>64765601
It's this and You're Living All Over Me tied for me.
>>64763535
I just started digging into their discography last year and I can't believe I didn't get to it sooner. The first time I heard Daydream Nation (which was the first album of their I listened to) was the closest I've come to thinking something is perfect on first listen, and I wasn't even that hyped to listen to it. That being said, I worked my way backwards then started coming back forwards and Dirty made me stop listening to them for a while, it's not even an awful album but it's so bad compared to everything they had done up to that point. If I had to rank their album discography up to then, it's
DN > BMR > Sister >> Goo >> EVOL > CIS >>>>> Dirty
>>
>>64770334

I felt that way about Dirty on first listen as well. Truth be told I still think it's not one of their better albums but it is better than I originally gave it credit for in that it's just a good rock album. I like it much more than Goo, in any case. That said, their main albums immediately get more experimental after Dirty - I guarantee you that Experimental Jet Set's gonna throw you for a loop. Don't give up on that one, though - Washing Machine is next and it's among their best.
>>
>>64770417
Yeah, I've been meaning to give Dirty another listen to see if maybe it's grown on me a but since almost every SY album tends to do that, and I didn't really care for Goo for a while but now I can see the merits in that, so I'll probably give Dirty another spin later today.
>>
>>64763535
EVOL > Goo > Daydream Nation > Badmoon Rising

Need to listen to the other albums a bit more to rate them, but EVOL is a 10/10 masterpiece. I still love that album after years of listening.
>>
>>64770507
Damn are u me?

EVOL is the best, BMR is way underrated
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.