[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
20 listens in when is it supposed to get good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 10
File: file.png (151 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
file.png
151 KB, 320x320
20 listens in

when is it supposed to get good?
>>
20 listens? puh-lease. it will finally "click" for you on the 58th listen of course
>>
Depends. It definitely solidified for me as good sometime during the second listen and has only gotten better as I listen more.
>>
when you get good taste
>>
is it really worth listening to

I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from BP atm
>>
>>
>>64756847
it's really beautiful
>>
It doesn't
>>
I'd give it at listen 100 listens before commiting to an opinion. You know, it grows on you
>>
>>64756661
it's a very weak album as a whole. it's directionless and people mistake building atmosphere for good songwriting. it's incredibly well produced and layered trash. ful stop and daydreaming are the only tracks worth listening to, in my opinion.

how people are rating this above a 7/10 is mind boggling and another reason why i stay away from this website. there's not even a moderate consensus among /mu/ of what music is artistically valuable or not.
>>
>>64756661
>when is it supposed to get good?
Well post the notes you are taking as you listen.
>>
>>64758041
>mu has varying opinions
There's no consensus!

>mu agrees on something
You're all a bunch of drones and cant think for yourselves!
>>
Second listen was enough for me
>>
>>64756661
You've been memed, friendo. Radiohead fanboys were the only ones hyping this album up.
To anyone else who doesn't listen exclusively to top 40s music, AMSP is dull AF
>>
1st listen I thought it was mediocre as fuck, 6/10
2nd listen and a few songs clicked to me, but I still think it's not an exceptional album. Low 7/10
>>
>>64756852
>>64756927
>>64758041
>>64758129
don't listen to these faggots please
>>
>>64756661

when you meet it on its own terms and appreciate the album for what it is. there's no other answer. it's not gonna be a different album on the 21st listen.
>>
>>64758041
/mu/tants aren't capable of looking at music in any critical manner. /mu/ is just /fa/music on a good day, music-themed /soc/ on others.
>>
>>64756661
When will you start studying music theory?
>>
Identikit is fucking beatiful. Why does mu have so many people with no musical taste whatsoever
>>
>>64758250
I really like Decks Dark. The brooding piano in the background and that little funky rhythum jam at that end is great.
>>
>>64758041
You're pretty spot on. Also, "Present Tense" is pretty good.

I so badly wanted to love this record. I wanted it to "grow" on me. Granted, it's only been a few days, but my mind for sure hasn't changed at all. I don't see that happening in the future.

I'd argue that A Moon Shaped Pool is Radiohead's second worst album (tied with The King of Limbs). Regardless, it's still a good album. Just a weak effort for Radiohead.
>>
>>64758250
That's rich coming from a Radiopleb btw.
You are /mu/ btw.
Tasteless pleb.
>>
>>64758159
There isn't a single track on AMSP that's on the same tier as Paranoid Android , Climbing Up The Walls, or Spinning Plates.
Don't silence other people just because they disagree with you. Radiohead put out a subpar album. Deal with it.
>>
>>64758300
Desert Island, Ful Stop, Glass Eyes, Identikit, and Present Tense are all just as good as Paranoid Android.

For me, anyway.
>>
>>64758300
How is it subpar?
>>
Radiohead hasn't been relevant for over two decades
>>
>>64758095
maybe this album is a grower, and i'm not saying it's bad. just extremely mediocre based on their past albums. comparing this to Kid A or Amnesiac and still giving it anything above an 8/10 is just ridiculous. Pyramid Song or Idioteque for example are the obvious radiohead classics and among the best modern music ever written. where is the stand out track on this album? none of them are in the same league. it's a 6/10 album at best. people need to stop eating everything Radiohead dishes out without thinking about it.
>>
>>64758300
>Paranoid Android

what kind of pleb bullshit? i bet okc is your favorite album

>Don't silence other people just because they disagree with you
>Deal with it.

lmao nigga no one is silencing anyone
>>
>>64758367
>constant hype machine
>irrelevance
>>
When did Radiohead become so bland? Why do none of their songs seem to have climaxes anymore?
>>
>>64758416
>hype instead of music
>"relevant"
>>
>>64758368
>Pyramid Song and Idioteque

yeah man, good songs

>among the best modern music ever written

hahaha holy shit what did i just read
>>
>>64758444
Why doesn't your mom have climaxes anymore?
>>
If it doesn't click for you after the second try then it's just not for you. Put it on the shelf and try again some other time when you're feeling somber
>>
>>64758453
if you can't make the connection that their immense & established popularity implies cultural relevance, you're hopeless
>>
>>64758407
Amnesiac's my fav RH album, actually. But seriously tho, why is AMSP so forgettable? Is this really the same band that made Idioteque?
>>
late to the game, just barely bought it
after the first listen I liked The Numbers and Daydreaming the most
>>
my favorite songs so far are

Ideniket
True Love Waits
Daydreamers
Glass Eyes
Decks Dark
Burn The Witch
The Numbers

great album
>>
>>64758444
>no climaxes = bland

can't imagine how much great music you're missing out on, bud
>>
>>64756661
I was pleased my first listen. It only got better every single listen. Don't automatically expect it to be some sort of Ok Computer or Kid A OP.
>>
>>64758282
Same. Only I would put this one below The King of Limbs. That album has a few tracks that I get the itch to listen to occasionally (Bloom, Magpie, Lotus Flower).

A Moon Shaped Pool doesn't have anything I want to revisit. I like Burn the Witch, Daydreaming, and The Numbers, but I don't see them getting much play in the future.

The album is well produced and all, but it's painfully boring and bleak.
>>
The vocal melodies on here suck...They're so unmemorable.
>>
>>64758521
>just barely bought it
as in, you actually paid money for this album?
>>
>>64758512
Coasting on distant past success and middle aged music critic nostalgia does not imply relevance
>>
>>64758444
>"Yo, where's the drop at brah?"
>>
>>64758554

But the thing is, they're just so good at doing it. When their songs are all at a middling pace like this, it's so dry.
>>
>>64758614
Your mom's so dry
>>
More than ever the electronic effects sound superfluous, adding no emotion to the track. These are basic piano songs with lazy melodies.
>>
>>64758367
Yeah man that's why no one is talking about them anymore
>>
>>64758463
how are they not? what is your superior taste, friend? name more ground breaking prog albums. those are pretty strong m8

i have more albums that i enjoy personally. i'm just trying to make a point that they're extremely well made and loved for good reason.
>>
>>64758517
>But seriously tho, why is AMSP so forgettable?

because you have shitty memory? i really don't know how to answer this question. i've only heard the album 3 times and i can recall the vocal melodies of every track.

i would say the songwriting & atmosphere here are better than amnesiac's. but because it's not challenging or very sonically inventive, people bill it as forgettable.
>>
>>64758610
>distant past success
In Rainbows came out in 2007, and TKOL, while it has a few dull moments and pales in comparison to their previous work, is still a decent work on its own.

>middle aged music critic nostalgia

Except thousands and thousands of edgy teens on the cusp of discovering indie/experimental rock absolutely eat this shit up.
>>
Kid A
OK Computer
Amnesiac
In Rainbows
A Moon Shaped Pool
Hail to the Thief
The Bends
The King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

Tell me I'm wrong.
>>
>>64758614
I agree that a more structurally exciting track would have been welcome, but still think the album is perfectly capable of beauty as it is.
>>
Honeslty, as a Radiohead fan that used to be obsessed with them when I was a teen, this record is fucking awful.

Considering how compromised and stunted TKoL was, it's still miles better than this trite piece of shit. I even have an urge to relisten to Pablo Honey in years to see if it really is that bad as a record compared to this waste of hard drive space.
>>
I''ll be honest: I don't think this album has any feels at all.
>>
File: tomcruise.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
tomcruise.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>64758819
>dull shit for the past decade
>edgy teens
>relevant
>>
>>64758631
The future of internet comments.
>>
>>64758680
>name more ground breaking prog albums
that's a different endeavor entirely than disproving that those songs are "among the best modern music." if you were speaking purely within their respective genre, then sure, i'd begrudge your opinion, but it seems naive to place those songs so highly in the pantheon of all modern music. that's all. like i said, they're good, well-crafted songs, and i'd be fine placing them among radiohead's best.

still, what puts a song like "daydreaming" so below "pyramid head"?
>>
>>64758942
>>dull shit
nice critique there friend, but it doesn't change the fact that in rainbows is an absolutely solid record

>implying most thinking people aren't edgy teens at some point
not really sure what you don't get here. radiohead are one of the most recognizable alt bands today, and have constantly been cited as inspiration/influence among today's indie musicians. if that eludes your definition of relevance, then i'll duck out of this discussion
>>
>>64759218
Nobody would've given half a shit about in rainbows if not for the pay what you want thing, and nobody would be talking about this current excrement without the embarrassingly lame social media publicity stunt. Everybody's forgotten about those albums now anyway, and this one will be forgotten even faster.
>>
The album is fantastic. Their 3rd best imo.
>>
>>64759346
>Nobody would've given half a shit about in rainbows if not for the pay what you want thing

Right
By 2007, no one would give a shit about an album by band that built such a name for themselves with breakthrough albums in the 90s and early 00s
It's purely the distribution and not the quality of the work itself that drew any attention to it whatsoever
A trove of evidence for this, there is

>Everybody's forgotten about those albums now anyway
Really? Because you clearly haven't
I dunno man, you seem pretty butt-rustled. Just accept that they're relevant, even if you can't stand 'em
>>
>>64759562
Unlike you, I was alive in 2007, and I can assure you, it was all hype about the distribution. Radiohead's music was already past relevancy.
Whenever Metallica squirts out their new album everybody's gonna talk about it - are they still relevant?
>>
>>64759346
Not that anon, but I consistently see writers and ppl ranking IR up with some of their best albums. It's still fondly remembered, but why would people bring up an album that came out almost 10 years ago out of the blue?
>>
>>64759709
>Unlike you, I was alive in 2007
lol good gibe! yes i am 8 years old
but considering the number of people who liked in rainbows and who like amsp, i find it hard to simply dismiss them as irrelevant

>Whenever Metallica squirts out their new album everybody's gonna talk about it - are they still relevant?

i don't give a shit about metallica but i can concede that they've influenced a number of musicians working today
"relevance" is such a slippery, vague term—artistically relevant? culturally relevant?—that i don't doubt this conversation could continue ad nauseam, so i'll gladly end here
>>
>>64759793
For every one mention of IR, there are 1000 mentions of the older, better albums.
>>
>>64759875
I'm just playin with you. Only Radiohead song I've listened to is Creep.
>>
>>64759893
yeah, but those are the people who don't want any sort of reinvention or progression - they just want Just and Electioneering 50000 more times. if radiohead conformed to those ppl's wishes then I guarantee they'd be way more "irrelevant"
>>
>>64758330
dude PA is in all kind of ways better than any song on the album.
>>
i forgot that on /mu/ people use opinions as fact
>>
>>64759984
oh okay thank god, for a second i thought you'd actually listened to in rainbows and disliked it
god knows this world doesn't need any more plebs
>>
>>64759984
Eyy m8 listen to ok computer and Kid A right now. Do not judge radiohead by creep, you're mind will be absolutely blown
>>
>>64760119
It hasn't aged well
>>
File: in the mouth of madness pic 2.jpg (33 KB, 418x307) Image search: [Google]
in the mouth of madness pic 2.jpg
33 KB, 418x307
>>64760167
>liking In Rainbows
>201X
>>
>>64760242
>not enjoying Radiohead's objective magnum opus
>>
>>64760167

In Rainbows is in the running for their most accessible album, man. Only The Bends gives it any competition.
>>
>>64760304
>mangum opus
>>
>>64760304

Pretty sure the world at large would assert that to be OK Computer.
>>
>>64760052
>pyramid head lul
kek didn't even notice

yeah, i remember when i first heard pyramid song i felt like it contained the essence of death itself and all that shit
on some level it's impossible for me to dissociate my views of that song from my personal feelings of it over the years. i don't hear what i used to hear in it, and that automatically colors my ability to appreciate it in an "objective way." insofar as i still can, i recognize it's a good piano ballad.

it seems with this album and in rainbows they're focused less on creating some cool, ambient, sonic landscape/world to be immersed in (à la kid a) and more focused on just making shit that "sounds good." i can't complain. i just think if you're listening for the former, you'll inevitably be frustrated.
>>
>>64760332
>accessible
>bad
>OK Computer not more accessible
>>
>>64760419
I guess he was just questioning my implication that liking In Rainbows automatically makes you not a pleb, when it's in fact an easy album to like.
>>
>>64760419

Never said accessibility was bad, just that IR isn't exactly a difficult album to like. Also, OKC has tracks like Paranoid Android and Fitter Happier that are odder than anything on OKC.
>>
>>64760387
>Pretty sure the world at large would assert that to be OK Computer.

Not to be an edgy fuckwit, but the world at large is full of people with bland, vanilla taste.
Further, if you base your opinions off what "the world at large" like, stop.
>>
>>64760466
>>64760490
MY MISTAKE!
>>
>>64760536
>The world loves it
>but I don't like it so that doesn't make it accessible
do you read this stuff over?
>>
>>64760536

Just saying, it kinda throws the whole "objectivity" part into question.
>>
how to like the album:

listen to decks dark with only the right channel, then listen to it only with the left channel, then listen to it with both.
>>
File: buy music.gif (29 KB, 698x346) Image search: [Google]
buy music.gif
29 KB, 698x346
>>64758583
>>
>>64760490
In Rainbows does have a few songs that sound out-there when compared to more "mainstream" alt rock, just sonically & structurally. Meanwhile OKC has some pretty structurally and texturally straightforward cuts—"Airbag," for one.

On the whole though, I'd say they're both pretty accessible. Neither would turn off a general alt-rock fan.
>>
>>64760582
Uh, check who was replying to whom.
The assertion I was challenging wasn't that OKC was accessible, but that OKC was Radiohead's magnum opus, which has less to do with popularity/accessibility and more to do with quality.

So I return the question: Do you read this stuff over?
>>
>>64760536
>the world at large is full of people with bland, vanilla taste.
...which is why Radiohead is popular in the first place.
>>
>>64760392
deleted my comment for sounding way too redundant. but you've basically proven me wrong. i've only given two somewhat shallow listens. three tracks are strong enough. ful stop, daydreaming and burn the witch. the rest sounded way too contemporary which is a huge step backwards for them. same with their spectre single. which also somewhat formed my opinion.it's almost like they're trying too hard not to offend their base. but i'll try to look deeper to see if the atmospheric effect holds up on the second half of the album ( it didn't twice) so maybe third is a charm. who knows.
>>
>>64760706
Sure. I can agree with that.
>>
It's a heartbreak album. Perhaps the only actually sad album Radiohead has ever put out. OK computer was tounge in cheek as hell, if you took it seriously you are a pleb.
>>
>>64760660

Yeah, they're both ultimately easygoing listens I suppose. I guess I feel the way I do because IR is so smooth musically whereas OKC has those nervous themes of alienation and shit. IR gets pretty bleak too but it has more of a proverbial smile on its face while doing it, like they're the kind of songs that deal with death and despair while getting you to dance at the same time.
>>
>>64760793
>tounge
Radiohead fans can't spell
>>
>>64760736
i know it seems i've gone at great lengths to defend it, but i completely respect your opinion if it still doesn't seem strong to you. i'll admit too that it does sound rather "contemporary"—there's none of the grungy, experimental, climactic tracks we got on previous releases. i just wanted to push back against the notion that this automatically disqualifies it from being good. i think there's beauty to be found in subtlety, and the kind of artistic mastery that doesn't call attention to itself.
if it's not your cup of tea at the end of the day, then that's cool too. thanks for having this civil discussion with me, friend
>>
>>64758444
you might have a hearing impairment. climaxes are there, listen to Daydreaming, Ful Stop, Identikit, and True Love Waits. difference is they are more subtle and, in all honesty, more sophisticated than most of their other music
>>
File: number one radiohead fan.jpg (97 KB, 1588x1193) Image search: [Google]
number one radiohead fan.jpg
97 KB, 1588x1193
>>64760955
>more sophisticated
>>
>>64758041
>ful stop
I like the lyrics, I added a few things:
You really messed everything up you fucking whore piece of shit douchewhore slut worthless cunt bitch whore
Why THE FUCK should I be good when you're a braindead subhuman piece of shit trash
This is the truth and it's gonna fuck you up you fucking whore
>>
File: 1426394977259.jpg (15 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
1426394977259.jpg
15 KB, 500x318
Pablo Honey is my favorite Radiohead album, am I pleb as shit?
>>
If
>broken hearts make it rain
doesn't do anything for you, this album won't. your loss.
>>
>>64758041
>and people mistake building atmosphere for good songwriting
This is a fallacy. Atmosphere can be the thing in itself. People find enjoyment in ambient music, and they can equally find enjoyment in music that's capable of setting a particular mood
>>
>>64758282
KTOL is a fucking masterpiece next to this.
Separator, Lotus Flower, Codex, Little By Little are all great songs.
>>
>>64760804
>they're the kind of songs that deal with death and despair while getting you to dance at the same time
definitely. the music on okc often sounds like what its lyrics are describing—neurotic, bleak, angry

in rainbows is more finely crafted & produced, but with the edges largely shorn off. the "alienation" and "despair" are still there, but they're more subdued (except for bodysnatchers). even reckoner doesn't burst at its seams like it should. but ultimately i find it a more compelling portrayal of what neurosis & alienation & desire feel like. songs like "weird fishes" and "all i need" produce an evocative tension between prettiness/smoothness/flow and angst/ugliness that rings more true to my experience than just KICKING SQUEALING GUCCI LITTLE PIGGY
>>
>>64761080
Lotus Flower is the only masterpiece on the album. Little By Little and Bloom are mediocre tracks that didn't blossom until the were performed live. Separator and Codex are fucking blanks. Might as well not even be on the album.
>>
>>64756917
it's really not
>>
>>64761113
>>
>>64761155
It is. It's a very pretty album, both in the positive and negative senses.
>>
>>64761155
it really is
>>
>>64756847
It's good but not as good as BP
>>
>>64761080

I like TKOL and all but I'll take AMSP's dreamscapey abstractions over its loops and polyrhythms.
>>
>>64761124
>Separator and Codex are fucking blanks
I'll fight you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Wu45h1HdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJV8mLMf3w

This completely destroys ANYTHING on AMSP. This is a fact, end of discussion, everyone below me are tasteless faggots.
>>
>>64761080
oh fuk, forgot about little by little. neat little track.
but i agree with >>64761124, tkol is far from a masterpiece.
"codex" isn't much to shake a stick at; it's just pretty. not even as beautiful as "give up the ghost," which i really dig.
>>
>>64758041
THIS, finally an accurate description of this mediocre album
>>
File: 1430668738271.jpg (180 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
1430668738271.jpg
180 KB, 517x768
>>64761062
>>
>>64761162
haha are you comparing my post to bateman's monologue? i didn't see the movie but i'm familiar with the scene. anyway, [reaches for axe]
>>
I was so excited and hyped the first couple of times i listened to it that i wasnt even able to appreciate it, i had to listen to it again the next day and i loved it.

Please guys, tell me im not the only one.
>>
>>64761250
>Separator
nice drumming that loses its appeal a minute in
>Codex
Nice horns

The notion that those glorified B-sides come anywhere close to the krautrock-inspired linear build up of Ful Stop, or the completely intimate vocal performance of Glass Eyes is retarded.
>>
>>64761124

I hate to sound like Seperatorfag but I don't see how it's a blank. It's probably the most straightforward song on the album with some of the most pleasantly breezy lyrics of any of their songs.
>>
I can honestly sympathize with blind hatred, seriously. I generally feel that way.

I honestly think a lot of what is being said is just blind hatred without any intention of trying to enjoy the music. A lot of angry negativity for the purpose of venting frustration.

The album is probably an 8 at worst. It might be better than that but I can't say because I have only heard it once or twice. Radiohead stopped writing pop music. They're actually quite done with it.

This is a new genre that follows from what they did on TKOL. It's ambient electronic rock music. It's quite unique. You don't have to like it. You're allowed to hate it. To say it's just bad seems a bit silly. It's better than some of the supposedly best post rock I have heard like Mogwai, which is actually quite reminiscent of. It's really its own thing, right?
>>
>tfw Radiohead have finally lost it
I didn't think this day would come, but man, what a run. The journey's over, wish I could do it all over again for the first time.
>>
>>64761347
That's precisely why it's a blank. There's nothing memorable about it.
>>
>>64761345
>nice drumming that loses its appeal a minute in
What the fuck are you talking about, once Thom's guitar kicks in and then Jonny and Ed start taking off it's heavenly, much better than the sterile, soulless Ful Stop
>>
>>64761345
>>Separator
>nice drumming that loses its appeal a minute in
>>Codex
>Nice horns

yup, that about sums it up. tkol is decent but much of its "experimentation" just falls flat, which is why i'm glad to see them strip away some of the flashier elements of their music and focus on just producing beautiful textures & well-written songs.
also, glad to see more people admitting they like glass eyes.
>>
>>64761371
AMSP is better than at least half of their work.
>>
>>64756661
I've listened to it 8 times. The only track i skipped on my last listen was Desert Island Disk because i got tired of it half way through.

I don't understand how you memelords say this album doesn't have songs.

Burn the Witch, Decks Dark, Ful Stop, Identikit, and Present Tense are all extremely accessible and catchy. And even songs like the Numbers, Tinker Tailor, and Glass Eyes build into beautiful orchestral pieces. There are so many interesting sounds and beats and grooves on this album that if you don't find it immediately catchy and interesting I really have no idea what is wrong with you.
>>
>>64758041
Building atmosphere is good songwriting. I don't understand the idea that songs have to be super progressive in structure to be considered well written, in fact the more "wandering" tone is one of it's stronger aspects.
>layered trash
what parts of the layers are trash? the string and orchestral arrangements are very well done and work harmoniously with the electronic elements. the sound design is some of their best too - i especially like the panning of the channels and the buzzy and shimmery soundscapes.
>>
>>64761356
shut the fuck up
>>
>>64761414
>much better than the sterile, soulless Ful Stop
You can't possibly be serious. It's their most lively track since 15 Step. It has a Neu! sense of movement that builds into the loudest point in the album, and the loudest point in any Radiohead album since Bodysnatchers. It's a stunning, stunning song.
>>
>>64761447
>if you don't find it immediately catchy and interesting I really have no idea what is wrong with you.

i think what's getting people are just the expectations they bring to it
>>
>>64761431
>half of their work.
Yeah, it's better than The Bends, TKOL and Pablo Honey. They'll never come close to the 1997-2007 period. TKOL from The Basement came damn close though
>>
>>64761410

To each their own. I think it's one of the better songs of its era.
>>
>>64761491
Better than HTTT to.
>>
>>64761421
I don't care too much for TKOL but let me just say, I am not always in the mood for "Airbag" or "In Limbo."

Sometimes I want to hear "Codex." And I would imagine there are others who pretty much always feel that way. I've been severely underrating the album for a long time. It might actually be better than HTTT. And people have been saying that for a long time.

Not gonna say it's better than The Bends though, sorry guys.
>>
>>64761491
it's better than httt. and maybe amnesiac - the highs on that album are astounding but the lows are pretty low.
>>
>the ones defending this album are actually saying this is a 10/10 perfect album
So there's absolutely nothing wrong with it? KEK
>>
>>64756847
what is BP?
>>
>>64756661
My husbando Sufjan Stevens did it first desu

Stop being plebs /mu/, it's pretty underwhelming except for Burn the Witch and Identikit
>>
>>64761491
I'd confidently place the better tracks of AMSP alongside In Rainbows. Comparing it to OKC & Kid A is a bit more difficult, given generic divergence.
>>
>>64761548
i'm not seeing this
>>
>>64761550
>Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)08:45:26 No.64756847â–¶>>64756917 >>64761229 >>64761550
>is it really worth listening to
>I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from BP atm
oh bottomless pit lol
>>
>>64761559
Did what first?
>>
It's funny listening to this after hearing Death Grips' latest. One is incredibly loud and immediate (which appeals to /mu/'s young audience), and the other is one of the most deliberate and atmospheric mainstream releases in recent memory. It's like going from a rave to an opera hall.
>>
>>64761548
>implying 10/10 is flawless

retard
>>
>>64756847
God me too, I really want to listen to this more but BP has consumed my listening for the last few days
>>
>>64760938
exactly right. also my taste is admittedly rigid, but that's a different story. i was hoping for the cathartic tone of the first half to continue throughout, but it completely reversed and became way too easy listening on the second half. which you're right, isn't necessarily bad, but it may be an artistic cop out.

hopefully they've just matured and took their own path as artists. but i have a feeling they purposely watered themselves down to prevent the album from becoming a blatant flop to their audience. that was my initial impression, anyway.

more listens will be required, but yes, great points on your part. made me rethink my initial stance. lol
>>
>>64761607
Both are good imo for those very different reasons. This year has been pretty good for music but /mu/ always has to be pissy and reactionary.
>>
>>64761548
A 10/10 doesn't mean perfection you mong
>>
Kid A > In Rainbows > OK Computer > TKOL from the Basement > Amnesiac > Hail To The Thief = A Moon Shaped Pool > TKOL > The Bends > Pablo Honey
>>
>>64761623
>a perfect score
>not flawless
Do you not know how scores work?
>>
>>64761485

Not to mention the lyrics on it. Thom's words are few but the weight behind them is palpable.

> You really messed up everything
> Why should I be good when you're not?
> This is a foul tasting medicine
> Truth will mess you up
> AAAAAAAAAAAAALL THE GOOD TIMES
>>
>>64761623
>>64761644
Are you mentally retarded?
>>
>>64761656
literally the only people who think this are schoolchildren who think reviews are like math tests
>>
>>64761651
In Rainbows > Amnesiac > Kid A > A Moon Shaped Pool > OK Computer > The King of Limbs > The Bends > Hail to the Thief > Pablo Honey
>>
>>64758250
have u heard the live version from years back? that is a thing of beauty. perhaps the new one wil lgrow on me. but atm i feel they butchered it
>>
>>64761520
I think in general, OKC is overrated and HTTT is underrated.
For TKOL and The Bends it depends on the day; it really does seem like a more equal number of people on /mu/ glorify it and shit on them—at least, the ratio is less skewed than for the first two albums I listed.

Underrated or not, I still feel TKOL is an album I can wholly live without, whereas I would definitely miss a number of cuts from the other three—Street Spirit, Subterranean Homesick Alien, A Wolf at the Door, to name a few.
>>
>>64761682
Are you? A 10/10 means better than most other music, not complete perfection. Music reviews aren't a math test.
>>
>>64761695
This is so unbelievably and retardedly wrong
>>
>>64761644
wtf
>>
>>64761713
glorify them*
>>
>>64761745
A Moon Shaped Pool should be higher, otherwise it's perfect.
>>
>>64761491

Only albums I'm feeling more than AMSP at the moment are HTTT and Kid A.
>>
Is liking HTTT a new dank meme i'm not aware of?
>>
>>64761769
>Kid A's b-sides and leftovers better than Kid A
What?
>>
>>64761695
>>64761651
In Rainbows > Amnesiac > A Moon Shaped Pool > Kid A > The King of Limbs from the Basement > OK Computer > The King of Limbs > The Bends = Hail to the Thief > Pablo Honey
>>
>>64761843

It's been my favorite for years.
>>
>>64761690
>literally the only people who think this are schoolchildren who think reviews are like math tests
Why aren't they?
>>
This is like The Antlers latest album except done well
>>
>>64761880
>Kid A's b-sides
Which songs were Kid A b-sides?
>>
>>64761880
Nice b-sides meme. Amnesiac's songs are aesthetically and tonally consistent; it's more coherently put together than any other Radiohead album, and more able to impart feelings of dread and isolation than anything they've ever put out.
>>
It's my least favorite Radiohead album.
>>
>>64761843
I was actually surprised when I came to /mu/ and saw how many people disliked HTTT, even more than TKOL. It's not perfect, but it's still great.

I will concede that the first half is often in danger of sounding like their old material rehashed. But I find the back half particularly strong; it can definitely stand on its own against their other releases.
>>
>>64761962
Pyramyd Song is one of the few songs, from any artist, that I actually hate.
>>
>>64762022
kill yourself my good friend. it's an excellent track
>>
>>64761953
Yoooo
I agree with this, actually. There was even a guitar tone on one of the songs that reminded me strongly of Familiars
>>
Why are Radiopleb fans so obnoxious?
>>
>>64762044
It's just lazy songwriting
>>
>>64762044
Nah I was just messing with you pops, you alright there chief?
>>
>>64762060
Their rabid haters are just as bad as their rabid fans.
>>
>>64762022
Sounds like a personal problem
>>
>>64762060
Name a single fanbase that isn't obnoxious. If you're obsessed with something you're bound to be insufferable about it.
>>
>>64756826
>when you get good taste

Read : "when you graduate grade 11"
>>
>>64762060
>doesn't know music theory
>wants to comment about Radiohead
>>
>>64762022

How?
>>
>>64762069
Good prank there buddy. You really had me
>>
>>64762088

Look at this tripfag, dropping truth dubs.
>>
>>64762060
You just don't get it. Listen to the new album. It will teach you things.
>>
>>64762127
>he doesn't know Thom and the Radio Boys are nothing but talentless hack even after listening to the most bland of their albums
>>
>>64762214
Nice meme
>>
Idk nigga, the album is really good
>>
>>64762191
Already gave it 3 listens and it's the most uninspired overhyped album I've heard in a while
>>
>>64762263
>uninspired
Oh were you there when they recorded/wrote the album?
>>
>balding lazy eyed midget having loud fake orgasms over sappy strings
Radiohead needs some fucking cojones, not enough cock and balls in their music, they should learn from the master, this is pure sex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhLDWCqSQQ
>>
>>64762214
>>64762263

> bland
> uninspired

I don't see it. The textures and layers of instrumentation are very intricate on this album. It sounds incredibly thought out across the board.
>>
>muh orchestra

they did that on Amnesiac but they wrote songs around it
>>
>>64762451
>music should be what I say so!
>>
>>64762538
>but they wrote songs around it
[citation needed]
>>
>>64762538

The orchestra takes on a far greater role in AMSP and there are some less "song-like" songs on Amnesiac like Pulk/Pull or Like Spinning Plates.
>>
>>64762548
What about the Dio Himself? I mean you can't deny The Rock
>>
>>64762663
Sounds to me like you can't deny The Cock
>>
>>64762451
>I don't like the music because I don't like the way thom yorke looks!
Are you 12?
>>
>>64762451
>calls thom a balding midget
>posts a shorter musician with even less hair
I like Dio, but come on
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2278x3037) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2278x3037
I'm honestly glad this album has fans split. Regardless it has you talking about it, and that alone is a testament to its success. Personally I think it's truly an amazing album. Blows tkol out of the water and if you don't at least think that's true, well that's cool I guess I won't fight you
>>
File: 1452910672176.jpg (162 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
1452910672176.jpg
162 KB, 400x533
>>64762451
>Dio
>>
>>64762772

The split is impressive. I don't see how people can say it's bland or derivative when it's garnering such wildly different responses. It's almost like we're all listening to different albums when trying to discuss this thing.
>>
>>64762772
It doesn't have fans split. It has /mu/ split, and so does every other fucking album. There isn't a single album that this board unanimously agrees on as good
>>
>>64762863
Because they are trolling you idiot. They probably either don't like Radiohead anyways or don't care either way.
>>
does anybody have a link to the FLAC?
>>
>>64762903

I don't immediately register dissenting opinions as trolling but I'm sure there is some bullshitting going on as well.
>>
>>64762938
It's not really their opinion. "bland" and "uninspired" are just vague, blanketing buzzwords. Anyone using them is probably pulling your leg.
>>
>>64762967

That much is likely. Still, I do think some people legitimately find this album not to their tastes.
>>
>>64763058
Based on what? What you read on 4chan? Go elsewhere on the internet. I've observed most Radiohead fans are pleased with the album.
>>
Staircase is their best song desu senpai
>>
>>64763158
>kept it off the king of limbs
>regret it so much that they played it on their television promotional tour anyways
>>
>>64763124
I know bro, it's IMPOSSIBLE that some people aren't loving this album, fucking 4chan
>>
>>64763237
>television tour
>>64763274
Read it again. You seemed to have missed something
>>
>>64763237
i still get chills evertime i listen to that song
>>
>>64763124

No one thing appeals to everyone. I like AMSP - quite a lot, actually - but that doesn't absolve it of criticism. It is possible that aspects of the album that make it standout for me could ruin it for someone else. You know, one man's trash is another man's treasure?
>>
>>64758098
Nice blog faggot
>>
>>64763363
Is it possible that you didn't even read the post you are replying to?

Try again.
>>
>>64756847
Wait a year or two
>>
>>64763403

The point of interest in that post boils down to "How is it possible to dislike this album?". I'm not terribly concerned with how JUST the fans feel, but rather general reception of the album. It seems silly to say that everyone loves the album and those that don't are trolling.
>>
>>64761559
It is reminiscent of Age of Adz isn't it? I like it a lot atvany rate.
>>
>>64763536
>The point of interest in that post boils down to "How is it possible to dislike this album?"
Incorrect. Read the reply chain again.
>but rather general reception of the album
The album received critical acclaim from professional critics, consisting of a score of 86 out of 100 on the review aggregator website Metacritic, indicating "universal acclaim."[38]
>It seems silly to say that everyone loves the album and those that don't are trolling.
Quote me where I said that.
>>
>>64756661
It takes 91 listens
>>
>>64763612
see
>>64762903
>>
>>64763675
>probably
>>
>want the hard copy CD
>ships mid june, that's a long time
>oh well, I will have to download it and listen digital until then
>"product does not include digital download"
>wat

so I have to pay double to listen to the CD i just bought?

I just don't get it, the download is free for them to include in the CD price, why don't I get both?
>>
>>64763675
Also not that response is in direct reply to
>I don't see how people can say it's bland or derivative

So obviously we are not discussing all people who legitimately don't like it, but the people who use vague, blanket buzzwords. Those are the people trolling. If they can't elaborate what they don't like about it beyond those buzzwords, it's probably either not really their opinion or they don't care either way, and you are being trolled.
>>
>>64758041
>why i stay away from this website

wow this is just too funny
Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.