[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck is every analyst so excited about streaming? Every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: yeah right.png (80 KB, 1168x622) Image search: [Google]
yeah right.png
80 KB, 1168x622
Why the fuck is every analyst so excited about streaming? Every tech site article about music mentions streaming now.

I get it, I can listen to music that way. No thank you, if I wanted to buy music, I'd go to iTunes anyway. Who needs that shit?
>>
I agree. I have nothing else to add.
>>
>>64748538
>Why the fuck is every analyst so excited about streaming?

because you can analyse the living shit out of it
you know who played what, how many times, when, after which facebook messages, etc etc
>>
>>64748538
I think your chart shows why
>>
>>64748538
it's super convenient for casual listeners. Anyone that really cares can download and cultivate a library of flac and 24 bit vinyl rips, but that's a pretty small percent of the audience
>>
>>64749318
aside from the metrics that it makes available to labels/advertisers/marketing/etc.

it's also the no. 1 way people consume music today according to the most recent statistical/metric reports compiled by nielsen, billboard, etc. physical and digital sales are officially no. 2

so prepare your anus OP, you're only going to hear even more and more about streaming as the months go by.
>>
>>64749343
But that's the point, they're saying "we expect streaming to grow 6 times and save the music industry" and I'm not sure how that's going to happen.

>>64749473
Why not use YouTube then? If an artist is big enough, he's on YouTube. If he isn't, he's probably on Soundcloud or Bandcamp anyway.

I can see how super-casual listeners like girls who can't be bothered to buy an album and listen several singles on repeat might like it. Otherwise, I see little appeal in it for these people, except trying to be hip.

>>64749318
>>64750110
Their statistics are pretty broken nowadays. If we count streaming, it may seem like artists like Taylor Swift and Adele beat all-time records of popularity. I'm not sure there's a standard how to certify records for sales nowadays.

Analyzing all that stuff is possible, and it horrifies me to be honest. Imagine labels collecting all that stuff, making music based on all that data. Fucking Brave New World stuff.

Still, I view 6x growth predictions as unrealistic promises at best. I can see it: some silicon valley hipsters came up to investors and said: "2 words: MUSIC. CLOUD". The investors asked: "But what about MILLENIALS?". The hipsters said: "MILLENIALS will love it". They heard the buzzwords they wanted and proceeded to pour money in it.
>>
>>64748538
>if I wanted to buy music, I'd go to iTunes anyway.
>"owning" 1's and 0's

Buy physical or go home
>>
>>64752250
>buy physical
>CD is also just a laser disc with a lot of 1's and 0's all over the place

Buy vinyl or go home
>>
>>64750758
youtube is music streaming
>>
>>64753338
no it isn't. It's video streaming
>>
>>64753168
>vinyl
>lifeless printed imposter of music

live performance or go home
>>
>>64748538
>if I wanted to buy music, I'd go to iTunes anyway. Who needs that shit?
People who want to listen to a whole lot of albums legally without having to pay 10 dollarpounds for each of them, I imagine.
>>
>>64753443
>having to share the experience with other people you don't know

Pay the band to play at your house or gtfo
>>
>>64753527
>Paying money for other people to play music for you

Play the music yourself or gtfo
>>
>>64750110
>record labels start paying to have new albums only be availible via streaming and it becomes the norm
>>
>>64753527
>letting brutish human craftsmen and women with their imperfectly made instruments ride roughshod over pure creative inspiration
Listen in your head or not at all.
>>
>>64753443
>tfw owning a record that never made it to the digital world
well I'm sorry you're so close-minded my friend
>>
>>64753607
>Playing your own music

Fabricate your own music using the power of your mined or gtfo
>>
>>64756037
>trusting your weak powers of imagination to create music
Just consider the theoretical possibility that perfect music could exist in the mind of God or go home, m80
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.