[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i become patrician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 2169656.jpg (713 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2169656.jpg
713 KB, 1920x1200
How do i become patrician?
>>
I also want to know
>>
>>64748236
Avoid the album pictured in your post as well as any other goblin inspired music and you should be good. Just follow your ears and always look for new things. Give stuff a chance, don't immediately dismiss things.
>>
>>64748236
>>64748456
When you feel something is shit, give no heed to all the 'give it more listens', 'you need to have an understanding of the genre to appreciate it', and other 'you'll like it if you make yourself like it'-s. It's that simple. Music never requires theoretical knowledge to appreciate it.
>>
>>64748570
>>64748497's 'Give stuff a chance' is also a wording a plebeian will try to coerce you with into appreciating his lazy music: 'if you don't like my music, it means you heartlessly refuse to give stuff a chance'. It's very easy to spot such artistic blackmail when you know what to look for.
>>
>>64748570
It doesnt require theoretical knowledge, but sometimes a record will definitely grow on you. If you cant stand it, sure, ignore people telling you that you have to like it, but if it's not bad, give it some listens. Some of my favorite albums took a good number of listens
>>
Listen to Indigo Girls and lick our carpet
>>
>>64748617
>sometimes a record will definitely grow on you

Perhaps, but I think 'you'll debase yourself to like a sloppy, repetitive record' is a 100 times more common phenomenon.
>>
>>64748236
Step One : Don't use the word "patrician" to refer to anyone besides the elite upper class in the Roman civilization.
>>
>>64748696
In other words, everyone is born and initially raised with a kind of a base musical expectation, and our choices can either increase or decrease our tolerance for bad efforts. Don't let the latter happen, or you risk spending your time on 'giving a chance' to them, which you don't want.
>>
File: IMG_1841.jpg (147 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1841.jpg
147 KB, 1280x852
Lock yourself in a room with the lights off and blast 1995 uk radio jungle mixes while laying nude in fetal position for 6 hours or so

Cured my chronic depression, might make you a patrician
>>
>>64748820
I actually want to do this
>>
>>64749601
Go for it, I'm not even joking it worked. My life outlook changed and waking up suddenly became a pleasure again, despite everything still being objectively shitty

If you're interested just set up a really long playlist, I used mixes from http://oitj.casiotone.org/
>>
>>64748497
I'm listening to it right now

and you can't stop me.
>>
Definitive guide to being patrician:

Whenever a 'post your fav albums' thread comes up, post albums with the follow criteria:

>the older and more obscure the better, less people will have grounds to criticise you that way
>pick albums that are inherently flawed in some ways but have clear strengths also
>when given the choice to pick an artist's best work, go for the contrarian answer, but not so much that you're blatantly wrong e.g. never pick something like Pablo honey for Radiohead's best work

For example, you might like the individual sound of each track on an album like In Rainbows better, but it is too popular or 'redditcore' to be patrician. Therefore, even though it goes against your genuine like for the sound of the album, pick something like Amnesiac.

Use this sort of thinking for every artist imaginable and there you go, you're patrician. Its honestly as clear as day when you see people doing this sort of thing.
>>
>>64748497
Pleb and newfag here. Could I ask why is ItCotCK a plebeian album? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>64749972
Because it's popular and receives mainstream attention, and for the reasons
>>64749954 describes
>>
>>64749954
but in rainbows is pretty boring and amnesiac is sick
>>
>>64749954
b-but in rainbows IS my favourite album ;_;
tbqh tho these days i can't really pick one anyway
>>
>>64749697
Ten minutes is probably enough. Damn that's shit.
>>
>>64750080
Yeah, Radiohead's work I just find easy to use as an example in this case because it's so familiar to people. I can understand people saying they prefer Amnesiac to IR but lets be honest, one is clearly seen as more 'partrician' than the other by mu.
>>
>>64750166
That's what I'm saying, it's stupid to try and be patrician because some albums will never be deemed 'patrician' by mu, simply for being what they are and what they can be compared to in an artists discography. If anyone tells you contrarianism has nothing to do with being patrician they're full of shit, it happens in almost all cases. Therefore people who are trying to seem patrician may genuinely prefer the sound of In Rainbows but pick Amnesiac just because it's patrician choice.
>>
>>64748570
I can't help but feel this is the exact opposite of being patrician in some cases. Some music that is deemed patrician can be so abrasive and raw on the first listen that first time listeners will be turned off almost immediately. Especially if they're not used to that kind of music whatsoever. Yet it's often albums that have these unconventional sounds that are so often deemed 'patrician'. In these cases I would say repeat listens or a better understanding of what your listening to are vital to enjoying it.
>>
>>64748497
>avoid the album pictured
>don't immediately dismiss things

got it
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.