[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teen and twenties Emimen was pretty cool for me, but I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1
File: unnamed (2).jpg (24 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).jpg
24 KB, 443x332
Teen and twenties Emimen was pretty cool for me, but I don't prefer the introspective Eminem of now.

How will old age Eminem be? Also, GENERAL EMINEM THREAD.

im going through a break up and he's raps about my kinda funny.
>>
>>64744730
>How will old age Eminem be?
The same as now. He's reached a dead end.
>>
>>64744730
>>64744780
Also:
>Teen and twenties Emimen
He was 27 when My Name Is came out.
>>
Was legitimately the best mainstream rapper by quite some margin in '01-'02
Encore onwards has been increasingly awful
His strengths were always his expressiveness, edgy sense of humor and audible passion on a track, but yes men telling him he is a genius day in and day out, plus a crippling drug addiction and personal tragedy have left him visibly mentally fucked. As a result he overcomplicates his rhyme schemes, jams a million syllables into every bar, yells everything with no subtlety, and focuses way too heavily on wordplay (which he isn't very good at)
None of his material has impact any more which is a shame because it's not like he's talentless, he's just lost what made him appealing in the first place
Pretty fucking god-tier freestyler though, this is not up for debate
>>
>>64744949
I generally agree, especially with the first part, except that I think Relapse is a genius release, even if incidentally so. I have a pretty complex, artistic way of viewing it that I won't go into unless anyone cares, but I also think a lot of the tracks recall the playful lack of seriousness I initially was drawn to him for, even if at times overly edgy. Obviously Encore is his worst album and one of the worst to come out that year, and I find recovery to be the antithesis of everything he built himself on, which just pissed me off.
>>
has anyone properly heard his first album Infinity? How/what is it
>>
>>64745057
The first half is really good, the second half is complete trash. The actual song Infinite is great and certainly worth a listen
>>
>>64744949
I love your views on Eminem.
>>
>>64745057
A rapper with tons of skill but nothing to say. Like recovery accept mellow and 90's.
>>
he'll be fine
>>
>>64745139
*except
>>
>>64745017
Encore shouldn't have been an album but It had stellar tracks
>Mockingbird
>like toy shoulders
>crazy in love (personally one of my fave Em tracks)
>ass like that
>just lose it
>>
>>64745139
>nothing to say

I don't think that's very fair considering he was obviously aiming for a brag rap-type approach. The project clearly intended to be surface level braggadocio over minimal boom bap
>>
>>64745104
>like recovery but mellow and 90s
lulz Im gonna get it for the HYPE!
>>
>>64745198
just lose it is my least favorite Em song. I will say there were great songs on it but the only one you mentioned was Like Toy Soldiers. My favorite was far and away One Shot Two Shot. Great song.
>>
>>64744780
I refuse to believe he's reached a dead end. MMLP2 had strokes of promise and hope.
>>
>>64745241
>One Shot, Two Shot
>NIGGA WHAT ABOUT YO WIFE?
>NIGGA FUCK MY WIFE
>>
>>64745198
>Encore shouldn't have been an album but It had stellar tracks
>list songs that weren't even the better songs of the album
>>
leave this angry trailer trash in the 2000's
>>
>>64745283
Bizarre killed that shit
>>
>>64745260
MMLP2 was definitely his best since TES but to me it felt like he was squeezing the last drops of blood out a stone, though doing so very well.

But I'm hope I'm wrong and you're right.
>>
>>64744949
>Pretty fucking god-tier freestyler though, this is not up for debate
post some good freestyles by him plz
>>
>>64745614
they're all over youtube
>>
Eminem and Fiddy are going to come on top with their new album.

Eminem is a based artist.
>>
>>64745647
ik, post ur favourite
>>
>>64745683
That 8 Mile rap battles for starters maybe
>>
>>64745757
but they were staged
>>
>>64745260
lol MMLP2 was trash. The guy has nothing left to rap about. He's good at rapping and he can make a couple of decent songs about how good he is at rapping but there's nothing left of substance in his subject matter. He's never going to make another song like Brain Damage, Rock Bottom, Stan, Kim, or Cleaning out my Closet. He has nothing left to talk about, he said it all in his first 3 albums.
>>
>>64745017
Why do you enjoy Relapse? I was a big fan of his first three albums but I shut off Encore halfway through because I couldn't stand the fucking toilet and retching sounds, like what the fuck? And Relapse I did the same because of the stupid voices, but it wasn't as bad.
>>
>>64745771
not him but i always liked this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcHtEoyhp4

>em will never be this relaxed and confident again
>>
>>64745802
I enjoyed it so much because as a big fan of his work and his place in the rap industry, it allowed me to really analyze his thoughts, feelings and behaviors as they are when he's ridden by his debilitating drug addiction. The tracklist is so jumpy it's disorienting, jumping in and out between straight up horrorcore(3 AM, Same Old Song and danc, hell like 7 of the tracks at least) and ballads with tales of regret and sheer love(like beautiful), the way an actual addict would. I have many friends who have suffered from addiction and this is exactly what happens. They think they don't need the world until one day they wake up and realize what they're doing to themselves, then ask the world for help, while simultaneously denying it, which is understandable in the case of a man as prideful as Em. He keeps trying to maintain his tough shittalker no holds barred persona like on We Made You and Medicine Ball, but he allows his weakness to sink through the cracks with the softer tracks as cries for help and simply songs like Beautiful that I legitimately think he wrote thinking he would die soon. I find a lot of artistic and evocative value in that album not from the lyrics themselves, but THAT those tracks are inserted and WHERE they are inserted, and the scramble-brained manic Eminem trying to scrape together a project while coping with all of these issues. I think the album was a fantastic representation of his fears, identity crisis, and addiction.

I also on the surface level find many of the tracks as the funny, playfully sinister Em I enjoy, but the surface-level part is for you to decide how you feel about it.
>>
>>64745982
oh ya and the production on almost every song except definitely not Crack The Bottle is stellar and matches the mood perfectly
>>
>>64745777
This. It utterly failed as a sequel/throwback to his best album, sure he revisited a lot of the same themes and stories he told on that album. (which at first, as an older fan, tickled me nicely) But fuck the novelty completely wore off by second listen. The actual sound and vibe of the album couldn't be further from the first, Em will never write music as 'fuck you' and edgy as that again, which is probably for the better, I think it would be transparently contrived if he did. I honestly think the best song on that project was Headlights, because all the cheese and sentimentality aside, it genuinely felt like I was watching an old friend of mine try to reconcile with the past and grow as a person. As I've grown older I really did start to think it was fucking lame how he's made a fortune by trashing all the women in his life; apparently he thinks so too. Rap God was garbage, possibly the worst beat he's rapped over and gimmicky to the extreme. The album consistently reminds me why he gets pop singers to do his hooks (see Brainless, Asshole)

>>64745802
The weird accents on Relapse were the death knell for me, completely fucked potentially good songs like 3AM and Stay Wide Awake
>>
>>64745982
huh, interesting take on it. I might give it another listen.
>>
Many songs released on MMLP2 and afterwards are on a whole other level than current rappers. He's still a genius, I think his hearing got fucked up or something though because he picks the worst beats/hooks.
>>
>>64746453
>I think his hearing got fucked up or something though because he picks the worst beats/hooks.
Alternatively he just has shit taste. At the start of his career he worked with bass brothers and dre because those were the people running his labels. I've never thought his own beats were particularly good.
>>
>>64746453
>Many songs released on MMLP2 and afterwards are on a whole other level than current rappers
no they aren't
>>
>>64746528
Could be, but I remember he used to spit decent hooks even before teaming with Dre. I think it might be a combination of the two as sell, it's impressive how bad his shit sounds.

>>64746542
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYfneizE8s

Who rhymes like that?
>>
>>64745982
>tough shittalker no holds barred persona like on We Made You and Medicine Ball, but he allows his weakness to sink through the cracks

Like on other Em albums except much better?
>>
>>64746632
>Who rhymes like that?

The song has mostly mediocre to bad lines, flat punchlines, an annoying chorus, and is juvenile in a bad way, though.
>>
>>64746632
>decent hooks
Em hooks are weird these days. Either he writes them, in which case they're catchy af, and sings them, which sounds awful, or he uses some unreleased pop song, in which case they're boring but decently sung. I don't know why he hasn't realized he should write them himself but have a competent singer do them.
>>
>>64746756
>juvenile
>the title is baby
poetry

but seriously baby is an awesome song
>>
>>64746756
>mediocre
Are we hearing the same thing? The sounds, patterns he creates are unheared of. The fact that above average wordplay/any other stunts exist within these flows is really impressive. Hope I'm not coming off as a stan because I really am not - I know his hooks suck, I know his subject matter is usually childish and dumb, but the dude's a rhyme machine.

>>64746818
imo he always sounded the best when he just rapped his hooks, just repeated some catchy line or two.
>>
>>64746632
The verses on this track are fucking great but the hook is unlistenable
>>
>>64747042
Exactly what I was trying to show
>>
He wrote "Stan" which is arguably one of the greatest rap songs of all time.
He peaked during the MMLP-TES era. Relapse had a few glimpses of that raw rhyme talent.
"Don't Front" on MMLP2 is so underrated and overlooked. If any of you hasn't listened to that track, do it now and you'll see that he still has mad skills but just doesn't have anything interesting to rap about.
>>
I hope he pulls it together for one more solid record like Relapse before callin it quits, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. If he ever starts running out of money he could just put his face on a brand like Dre did. At this point his sound is dated and he doesn't have any motivation to make a quality product

>im going through a break up and he's raps about my kinda funny.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64747200
Eminem's songs about breakups are killing Kim, fighting, including a lot of emotional, physical and verbal abuse. He still manages to make some funny songs like "Puke". OP is probably going through the same " fuck you bitch" phase and maybe likes that kind of twisted humor.
>>
25 to Life and Bad Guy are both god-tier breakup songs.
>>
My biggest problem with him these days is that he sounds to angsty. I wish he would sound more relaxed. He could spit these same exact verses but just deliver it differently. He mixes up his inflection too much, and uses weird pauses. Just look at how awful his feature on that Weeknd remix was, even though the verse was good. Because he doesn't get the style. Imagine any current rapper rapping that same verse it would be awesome. He doesn't really rap as fast as it sounds like he does. Drake, Kanye, and Kendrick rap that fast but they're just subtle.

It's similar to how the singing style of R&B in the 90s was about all those embellishments, mariah carey style, but now it's simpler and more straightforward.
>>
I think the problem is that he was really great expressing his anger and frustration (that's why I think his best tracks are the beef ones). Now he doesn't have anything to be angry about and it just sounds fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXe_RHF5JYU
>>
>>64747438
Eminem is all about complexity nowdays when rap has evolved beyond that, very true, same reason why beasts like Royce are left behind as well.
>>
>>64747684
another example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_hziEFBfs

>So how can he hold me over some balcony
without throwin his lower back out as soon as he goes to lift me
Please dont, youl probably fall with me
and our asses will both be history
But then again youl'll finally get your wish
cuz youl be all over the street like 50 Cent
>>
>>64747438
>Kanye

Kanye is a terrible rapper (coming from a big fan of Kanye)
>>
>>64748437
Why is he terrible? Do you mean his writing or rapping?
>>
>>64748522
Both are generally quite poor. He doesn't usually write great lyrics, and he doesn't usually have great flow. Of course he's had some songs that have both but usually they're fairly mediocre. His greatest strength is his beats and songcraft, and his ability to get the best out of his features. MBDTF is of course the most obvious example, but you can see this on his first three albums as well. Look at Hold My Liquor on Yeezus. Emotional as hell, and it's Chief fucking Keef singing it. Chance, Rick Ross, Nikki Minaj have all had the best verses of their careers on Kanye albums (just off the top of my head).
>>
>>64748609
I think his injury makes his enunciation and breathing kind of bad, but I still think he raps with style and his flow is pretty good, like on Dark Fantasy.
>>
TOP 10 EMINEM SONGS (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

Guilty Conscience
Role Model
I'm Back
Criminal
Lose Yourself
Rabbit Run
Sing For The Moment
Without Me
Till I Collapse
Rap God
>>
>>64749268
Yeah like I said there are definitely times where he has good flow but usually it's nothing great. I mean it's decent just mediocre.
>>
>>64749780
Rap god? Really?? REALLLY???
Rather pick'd The Real Slim Shady
>>
>>64749780
>no Real Slim Shady
>no Way I Am
>no Stan
>no Cleaning out my Closet

Props for Criminal tho
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.