[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TKoL is criminally underrated and I don't fucking understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: Radiohead-TKOL.jpg (140 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead-TKOL.jpg
140 KB, 560x560
TKoL is criminally underrated and I don't fucking understand the hate for it. Easily in the Top 4 Radiohead albums
>>
strongly agree
>>
you know what op, you're right
>>
>>64741471
for once OP is right
>>
its boring
>>
because the songs beside bloom lotus and separator arent all that compelling f a m
>>
>>64741493
the last three songs might be the best three-consecutive song run in their discography
>>
>>64741493
>codex
>>
>>64741667
is this the new meme? I've heard a couple folks say this. It's not even their best run to end an album
>Idioteque Morning Bell Motion Picture Soundtrack
>No Surprises Lucky Tourist
>Spinning Plates Glasshouse (fuck hunting bears, but these two alone are sufficiently their best back-to-back pairing
>>
>>64741471

dude no hate, it's just boring, pretty-sounding but totally forgettable, no immediacy at all
>>
>>64741471
Literally their best
>>
Bloom is one of their best songs
>>
>>64742423
Okay, you're probably right about the Kid A three track ending but TKoL's last three are incredible man

I just hate hearing how it was such a disappointment when it's so fucking good. Side A isn't nearly as good as Side B so maybe people just heard the first couple songs and assumed it wasn't great (PS side A is still great though)
>>
>>64742423
Morning Bell is the weakest track.
>>
>>64741471
I have a theory that the majority of dislike for TKOL is actually a dislike for the production.

There's less reverb on Thom's voice, the sound is overall cleaner and less saturated - but they use multiple points to make up for it.

The most popular track on the album (which is IMO one of the worse ones - Codex) is mixed more like a typical song. Vocal doubling on Thom, and more space.

To put it into context - I've never seen anyone dislike "The King Of Limbs" from the basement - which utterly dominates In rainbows from the basement.
>>
>>64742720
>Cleaner
Also with some gay roll off, mind you
>>
>>64742669
I'm with you it's definitely their most underrated. I still think it's overshadowed by most of their other work, not because it's bad, though...
>>
Every Radiohead album is underrated
>>
>>64742686
OP here. The last minute or so of Morning Bell is incredible and some of the best music they've ever put out.

>>64742720
but nigel godrich is god and would never produce a bad album because he's a sweet bb
>>
>>64742818
Sure, but it was different.

I'd actually be interested in hearing a totally redone TKOL, with the standard production of a radiohead album and some reverb on thom. I expect it'd be much less panned.

I really like TKOL and the music of that era (staircase, for example) though.
>>
>>64742720
Yeah people back in 09-11 had the biggest fucking hardon for enormous reverb so naturally they weren't happy when Radiohead bucked the trend.
>>
>>64742871
By contrast I think the production on the latest radiohead is too reverby (I think there's a saturator on every single piano track that is turned way up, or it was recorded with the lid closed).

But people eat it up.

Great album don't get me wrong - the piano isn't very clean sounding though. Heaps of low mid action
>>
It's in the top 7 radiohead albums
>>
>>64742830
haha sorry i didn't contribute to the actual discussion, I just wanted to say sweet bb

I've never thought of it that way though, I always thought it had the "standard production" of radiohead... what else besides the reverb on the voice was it missing?
>>
>>64742898
I haven't listened to the new one yet but I'll keep an ear out for that when I can in a few weeks.
>>
is it me or the bass is too loud throughout the whole album?
>>
>>64741471
I agree, but at first, it kinda sounds like an EP or bonus tracks release. I still really liked it though.
>>
>>64741471
What's funny about this is that yes it's top 4 but barely, and Radiohead only has 2 good albums KEK KEK
>>
That would implythat TKoL is better than In rainbows or Hail to the thief and that's BULLSHIT
>>
>>64743614
it's implying that it's better than OK Compy and HTTT
>>
File: idntf.jpg (43 KB, 655x833) Image search: [Google]
idntf.jpg
43 KB, 655x833
>>64743650
In rainbows better than OK computer
lmao, get some taste.
>>
"no"
it's daring in how fucking boring it is, though, so that makes it somewhat respectable, i guess?
>>
Drones gonna drone.
>>
It's an 'in the middle album'.
As soon as LP9 came out it was always going to be looked backed on and debated, much like Amnesiac post-HTTT.
>>
>>64743729
OKC might be the most overrated album ever. Still great, but it's probably their 7th best at this point

And radiohead's my fav band ever so sorry okc
>>
>>64743888
It really is. Their songwriting improved so much after OK. OK is just loved because of how great the initial reaction was and because it's some of their most accessible.
>>
>>64743888
>>64744391
just look at the tracklisting. OKC had HIT songs. like hit after hit after hit. it's their strongest album as far as big songs go.
>>
>>64741471
Completly agree
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.