[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone feel a bit ashamed that they listen to recent stuffs much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Anyone feel a bit ashamed that they listen to recent stuffs much more than the old stuffs? I mean 80% of what I've rated on RYM came from 2000s onwards.
>>
no, but i probably would if i did.
>>
Why would you? If you do for some reason you could try and listen to a bit more older things. Shouldn't be too hard. I try to do a bit of both.
>>
Just listen to what you enjoy. If you're constantly worried about what kind of music fan you are, you're doing it wrong and not focusing on the enjoyment. Don't let these "patricians" tell you otherwise
>>
No. Music has become better and more varied in recent years
>>
>>64741171
Probably this. I've started my listening with '70s' stuff, then significanly moved on to the '00s (not quite '10s) with a bit of late '60s. I know almost nothing of the '80s-'90s.
>>
I listen to what interests me because time doesn't give music prestige
>>
>>64741193
90s were best decade for music my man

90s>=60s >> 70s>=00s >> 10s=80s

as you can see the 20s are set to be as good as the 60s and 90s
>>
have any avant-teens rated this yet
>>
>>64741171
lol no it hasn't
>>
music has never been more interesting you plebs
>>
>>64741171

You can argue with "better", but it is certainly more varied than it used to be
>>
>>64741744

No it isn't. You're just exposed to more music.
>>
>>64741814
>More people exposed to more varied music
>People take influence from other music
>more varied creation

How can you not see that you are a 10/10 spazzmonger.
>>
>>64741814
I don't think that's the factor. House music didn't exist in the 60's due to the electronic scene not being developed yet (for obvious reasons). New genres and sounds pop up all the time, and there are still revivalist bands that continues the old sound. That to me is more varied music scene. There is a reason the top 100 in the 50's is almost exclusively Jazz.
>>
>>64740679
You should listen to some older music from time to time but at least you're not one of those "born in le wrong generation" kids.
>>
>>64740679
not really

music is better now
>>
>>64740679
i feel like i don't listen to enough new music

probably about a tenth of what i listen to is from the last decade
>>
File: 1453091257835.jpg (54 KB, 599x373) Image search: [Google]
1453091257835.jpg
54 KB, 599x373
>>64742566

>at least you're not one of those "born in le wrong generation" kids.

But that is exactly the card he is playing right now. OP is getting a complex over paying too much attention to music that is modern and from his generation. Why would that be a thing that'd worry you to the point of using the word "ashamed" unless you were being a le wrong generation kid?

RYM has these young hipsters in training all fucked up over their image now. Just listen to w/e. I spend most of my time listening to trap music and I don't give a single fuck.
>>
no

people should focus more on contemporary art anyways: that's how we make progress. of course, this doesn't mean ignore all of our musical history, but we shouldn't be focused on past works more than current works
>>
Just listen to what you like.
If you like newer music more that's fine, asking for /mu/'s opinion of taste is like asking a deaf man for good recs.
>>
I feel depressed that I mostly listen to music made before 2000's. I've been through all of the albums in RYM's top 100 for 2000's and 2010's and they're all fucking garbage desu senpai.
>>
>>64740679
Other way around for me. I feel cringey af that I relate much more to the sounds of Dadrock than most stuff today. I really want to love all the new music everywhere, but so much of it just seems hamfisted and lacking. The one thing I keep thinking to myself is that these people don't understand 'context' and their position in history - everybody writes for the moment, not to be timeless...

I mean, take for example somebody like James Blake. His music to me feels really modern and I enjoy it for that. Love the sense of space, the glitchy, almost technological element used to recreate more familiar soundscapes, and the marriage between that and the soulful crooning that our fathers and grandfathers could get down to. But on a blind test, it just doesn't.... sound....good. It's unfocused and intentionally distracted and blurry and artificial in nature. It just straight up doesn't sound 'good'. Despite all his intentions, he misses the mark on the one thing that actually matters. I feel this way about A LOT of music today.

Also the biggest issue I have with popular music is the emphasis on singing. Music feels like one big American Idol audition. Everybody oversings everything and it's downright disgusting. This is MUSIC, not SINGING.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.