[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the best? Who tries the hardest? Who will be remembered?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 9
File: 1462390356573.png (891 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1462390356573.png
891 KB, 900x900
Who is the best? Who tries the hardest? Who will be remembered? Who has a better discography?
>>
>>64726479
honestly they all try pretty hard
>>
James Ferraro will be remembered for producing the cyber new age soundtrack for the post-post-modern hypergloblist world of tomorrow

The rest will fade
>>
>>64726479
did deathgrips hire a new member?
>>
>>64726574
holy shit whats with this /mu/ obsession w riding ferraros dick. his shits not that great. far side virtual was sub par at best
>>
OPN has the best compositional skills
Ferraro is more of an artist
Dean is mysterious
Arca is meh
>>
>>64726479
they all try hard but make some pretty good music along the way imo, dean blunt is my favourite, james and lopatin will be remembered sadly mainly for them being important in the origin of vaporwave, james has the biggest discography but deans is the best imo, arca may be remembered if fka ever gets hugely hugely popular but who knows, lopatin is probably most impressive producer with arca being in second.
all of this is just my own opinion, i have spent the most time listening to blunt but have recently gotten more into ferraro's earlier stuff
>>
james
dean
daniel
james
>>
>>64726822
2nded
>>
i don't really get the appeal of arca. i mean his production for other people is good enough (i actually really liked his two tracks on bbf) but i dunno. i feel like he's also the weakest at presenting his themes and subtexts in a cogent manner.
>>
>Who is the best?
Dean Blunt is my favourite, most likely because I'm british and so his aesthetic/style makes the most sense to me
>Who tries the hardest
James, without a doubt
>Who will be remembered
I imagine Arca will be remembered if for no other reason than because of the artists he collaborates with
>Who has a better discography?
Dean has the most consistently intriguing discography
>>
OPN>Dean>James>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Arca
>>
>>64726479
arca is complete shit meme.
>>
>>64727019
i agree, he's a skilled producer but when compared to any of the others he is the least interesting by far

>>64727054
what city you from?
>>
>>64726822
dean is talentless hack no idea what you find good in him.ferraro is the most versatile yet amazing and simply better than any of them.He has so much more knowledge experience and skills that its laughable to compare him with them.No fucking idea what you think he will be remembered only for fsv when he is still so young and obscure for people to really listen to all of his music and on top of that he have the time to release so much more.
>>
>>64728073
>still so young
he's like 45
>>
>>64728179
he's probably not even 30, my man
arca is the only one on that list that's younger than him
>>
>>64726479

None
>>
came in expecting the meme city, came out seeing that mu is actually ok. And now for some meaningless rankings to answer your stupid questions, OP...

>Best
OPN
Blunt
Arca
Ferraro

>Hardest
Ferraro
Blunt
OPN
Arca

>Remembered
OPN
Arca
Blunt
Ferraro

>Discography
OPN
Blunt
Arca
Ferraro
>>
>>64728288
you're the meme here
>>
File: aaahhh.jpg (16 KB, 350x268) Image search: [Google]
aaahhh.jpg
16 KB, 350x268
OFFICIAL RESULTS FROM THE FUTURE

-OPN will basically be the next Aphex Twin
-Ferraro is the Gary Numan of his time
-Arca mostly forgotten except for select art circles
-blunt is namedropped for hipster cred and little else
>>
have the people shitting on arca listened to &&&&& and the EPs he put out before it?

way better than his albums
>>
>>64728572
Baron Libre 7/10
Stretch 1 7/10
Stretch 2 8/10
&&&&& 9/10
Xen 7.5/10
Mutant 8.5/10
>>
>>64726479
>Who is the best?
Ferraro has good concepts, his music and aesthetic was ahead of his time (he started in 2007)tho his albums (both lo-fi and hi-fi) are repetitive and sometimes uninspired. Technically Arca is the best unfortunately his solo albums are full of fillers.
>Who tries the hardest
Dean first, then James; Arca and OPN seem very sincere about their stuff
>Who will be remembered
Probably OPN
>Who has a better discography?
None ot them. James has the most varied and heterogeneous one tho.
>>
>>64728572
>>64728668
&&&&&& > Stretch 1 > Baron Libre > Stretch 2 > Mutant > Xen
>>
OH SHIT ITS THAT NIGGA DEAN
>>
>>64728932
>Stretch 1 above Stretch 2
>>
>>64728932
>>64728668
>mutant above xen
why?
>>
>>64728992
>tfw i sing along to this part every time
>>
>>64729013
they share similar musical ideas, but Mutant seems to be more well thought-out and produced
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz7XROLowMo

is he being serious or what?
>>
>>64729073
>they all try so hard not to laugh

lmao fuck dean
>>
>>64729073
>he keeps deleting my mean comments
why is dean such a pussy ass nigga?
>>
>>64729237
you did that to after the last thread? lol glad im not the only one
>>
>>64729073
NO ONE KNOWS
>>
>>64729272
yeah lmao he deleted every single of my comments
>>
>thinking Arca and Dean are anywhere near OPN's and Ferraro's level
>thinking Arca is not objectively at the bottom
>thinking Ferraro's career consists exclusively of FSV and is neo/trap/r&b stuff

If you think any of these please leave this thread.
>>
>>64729427
not a single person itt this thinks
>>
I think OPN is the most consistent, and the strongest both conceptually and compositionally.

I thought Arca was incredible when he released the &&&&& tape. He's still good, and his music is even stunning in places, but I feel like his sound has narrowed too much. I'd like to see him escape the Tri Angle School of Breaking Glass Sounds.

With Dean Blunt, I enjoyed his earlier, heady dubby stuff (Black is Beautiful, Hype Williams untitled, Narcissist II) but The Redeemer lost me and I'm not too interested in the conceptual route he's taking.

Ferraro is a wizard honestly. Basically that entire Altered Zones continuum was established and codified by him. Almost all of the trendy net-genres of the past several years have their archetypes in his music. Hypnagogic, chillwave, vaporwave, all of it. He did it all before everyone else and did it better. It's all mindless imitation of ideas he already explored. But anyhow, his R&B stuff ain't much and I hope he starts doing something else.
>>
>>64729073
lmao its dean blunt pretending to be a roadman episode
>>
OPN>DEAN>FERRARO>ARCA

Dean's work is the most interesting but opn is the most solid and talented
ferraro is too much of a coke. he is a trendsetter but never ends up making the best work of shit he starts
alot of incohesion with his disog
arca is just a walking daw
>>
>>64729521
>I'd like to see him escape the Tri Angle School of Breaking Glass Sounds.
lol, so accurate
>>
I've been listening to OPN's discography (again) for the past few days and I unironically think he might be the best composer in electronic music so far.
>>
>>64728073
>doesn't make straight up pop
>"he's a talentless hack guise!"

unironically 2deep4u anon
>>
>>64729073
he's never serious, that's his charm
>>
>>64730086
you might need to get your ears checked matey
>>
>>64730086
Like......ever?
>>
>>64730086
>so far
nah m8

he's in desperate need of harmony classes
he would be godlike then

sticky drama and animals are straight up Purity Ring songs
>>
>>64728992
>>64729036
source?
>>
>no one mentions KWJAZ or Rangers
i think they have best compositional skills from whole hypnagogic bunch (guitarist from Emeralds and synth guy from Zombie Zombie are also good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUdRPao7gM
>>
>>64729521
THIS. Ferraro has the better concepts of them all. Music wise he also covered a shit ton of styles in huge quantities, and most of it is pretty damn fucking good. Hell, he even predicted the ambient vaporwave stuff currently going on with Pixarni. OPN is the only one that rivals him, due to his more consistent output quality, huge discography and styles covered.
>>
Is there a Ferraro flowchart?

Or someone could guide me through his projects?
>>
>>64730187
does OPN ever do cute stuff like modulations, chromaticism, weird chord progressions or whatever? whenever I listen to his stuff I'm more interested in the soundscapes, so I don't pay much attention to these details
>>
>>64730187
"Along" has some nice harmonies going on. Same with "He She", and a lot of his older stuff. I think GoD is intentionally less harmonious and a bit more dissonant feeling.

And I think Purity Ring's songs are a lot worse than Sticky Drama or Animals. They're his most "accessible" songs I guess, but they're a lot more interesting than what synthpop bands put out.
>>
File: 08.jpg (153 KB, 625x833) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
153 KB, 625x833
all i know is dean blunt isn't serious at all
his latest art show at mama was posters of twilight and blade photoshopped together

>>64730288
ferraro has the best concepts but his execution is horrible
which is why he will probably the most forgotten besides arca
>>
>>64730158
>>64730160
Who would you say are the best electronic composers?
>>
>>64730419
>his execution is awful
Not really. His execution favors the concept first, the music second. As a mere vessel to represent the concept, it works. From a music standpoint, yes sometimes its a clusterfuck. Yet when both worlds come together the man shit masterpieces. iAsia, Night Dolls, Pixarni, FSV, Cold, SILICA GEL, Condo Pets, Last American Hero, Sushi, Do You Believe in Hawaii?, he has a lot of top notch stuff.
>>
>>64730407
>>64730384
>>
>>64730384
>>64730407
I was thinking more about odd chord progressions / keys, I feel he could do more abrassive stuff with weirder colors, I feel his progressions are quite common.
>>
>>64730544
Yeah I see what you mean. I think his specialty is more in the rhythms and layers than the raw music theory.

Can you think of a producer who is with great technical skills in making unconventional compositions like that?
>>
>>64727054
>most likely because I'm british
so would you say that he makes you proud to be british?
>>
>>64730485
I agree with you on his concepts being the driving force
I think he has the most potential out of all them but I don't really yearn for his stuff because at times the concepts are just something I don't relate too

Suki girlz and silica gel have made it clear he can make bangers that rival top hip hop producers but then chooses to not continue that route and refine it
nyc was close to that
skid row/war just went back off in his own land.

I probably like blunt more just because his stuff is very close to pop/hip hop
2pleb 4 ferraro :(
>>
Why are they all mysterious faggots? why can't they be straight up about anything
>>
>>64730590
Hmm I could only think of Poemss right now, it's Venetian Snares' Aaron Funk doing Ambient Pop with some chick. The think I like the most about it is the odd time signatures, which are really uncommon in electronic music. Try their s/t. Beautiful synths too.
>>
>>64730658
death of the author and probably personal agenda's they feel would discredit them

arca's gone down the tube abit since he's revealed he is gay. seems like he has boxed himself
>>
>>64730680
Venetian Snares definitely makes very creative use of time signatures. It took me a while to get into his music, initially.
>>
>>64730722
Yeah I love that about him too. Poemss it's probably his most mellow project, nothing alike VS, really.

I also thought of others:

Fatima Al Qadiri - Brute
Siete Catorce - Paisajes
Floating Points - Elaenia

none are really akin to OPN (except Fatima to some extent) but it's pretty interesting electronic music imo
>>
File: N00.png (450 KB, 1273x701) Image search: [Google]
N00.png
450 KB, 1273x701
am i the only one here who actually really liked ferraro's cowboy alt. r&b style off skid row?
also i'll be the first LA denizen to say he fucking nailed the city for what it is
>the sushi elite & the poor all anonymous in an unforgiving freeway fatality,

>an undiscerning system.
>>
I thought Arca was more beloved on here. I know he uses the same tricks, but I still think he is one of the most interesting producers out there.
>>
>>64730611
Iktf, sometimes I think he wastes concepts by being too abstract and not focusing in making actually listenable stuff. One of the reasons for why I'm not a fan of his early lofi drone wankery. Stuff like Hacker Soundtrack, a really neat concept, and yes the album paints perfectly the imagery he tries to convey, but that shit is literally typing sounds, water sounds and some other random sounds for 30mins.

Also, fav Dean release?
>>
>>64730766
go 2 bed james
>>
>>64730658
OPN is actually relatively open.
>>
>>64730658
Arca's always been straightforward in interviews. He doesn't obfuscate.

I guess it's a little ironic he's that straight up while being a gay bottom ayyyyy
>>
>>64730808
1st half of black metal/stone island/redeemer/BIB
>>
>>64730765

>floating points

my nigga.jpg
>>
>>64730225
KWJAZ is absolutely fantastic, but this isn't a hypnagogic thread, really. More a "left field" thread.

Rangers I find really bland.
>>
File: ferraroqujunctions1 small.jpg (30 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
ferraroqujunctions1 small.jpg
30 KB, 400x296
>>64730813
god i wish i was
>>
>>64730765
Thanks for the recs. Been a big fan of Floating Points (and Elaenia in particular) for a while, but was not aware of the other two until now.
>>
has james ferraro ever done an audio interview. youtube doesn't bring any results. i've seen candlyland
>>
>>64730766
i liked it too
>>
>>64730885
one of last year's underrated albums, I was really impressed, it's comfy as fuck

>>64730919
no probs m8, I hope you enjoy them
also I don't know if Paisajes is out there, tell me if you can't find it and I can up it for you
>>
>>64730932
there's a redbull interview where he holds the world record for saying like the most times
>>
>>64730932
>>64730970
yeah I remember seeing a OPN/Ferraro joint interview before but I can't find the video now
>>
>>64730944
Paisajes is on Tidal; listening to it now. Definitely enjoying it so far.
>>
>>64731045
oh ok then, enjoy it anon

I'm off, see y'all
>>
>>64731037
http://www.rbmaradio.com/shows/fireside-chat/episodes/james-ferraro
>>
>>64730799

i love arca, and i agree he is one of the most interesting producers out there
>>
>Ferraro

The greasy dude who sells Chinese bootleg VHS tapes out of the back of his van at the beach

>Blunt

That weird black guy with the keyboard who sits at the beach and does bizarre karaoke for money

>OPN

That really shifty dude who walks around the beach at night filming the skylines with a camcorder and you're like 45% sure is a KGB sleeper agent.

>ARCA

That guy who walks around all the bars along the beach and waits until people leave so he can drink their leftover drinks
>>
>>64730932
>>64730970
>>64731037
>>64731065
http://www.the-drone.com/magazine/james-ferraro/

french mag but there's a video with subtitles at the top of the page
>>
>>64730944

something very pure and unpretentious about his stuff-i remember when my friend showed me one of his tracks and i immediately pointed out that floating points was such a perfect name. helps to visualise the music in a sense.
>>
>>64731123
You might already know, but it's also a programming reference/joke.
>>
>>64731210

i didn't know that. please explain?
>>
>>64731065
how do i listen to it?
>>
I have heard every james ferraro album and don't know what the fuck he is saying
>>
>>64731321
download opera they have a built in vpn
and change to australia
>>
>>64731278
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point

Computers are unable to easily deal with decimal point numbers (real numbers), like 3.7654 or 77.6 or whatever. Instead, they represent fractional numbers in "floating point" notation.

The reference might be related to the fact that it is now common for audio projects to be exported with 32-bit floating point bit depth (essentially the "highest quality" possible). Or it may just be a general computer reference.
>>
>>64726479
>Best: Blunt
>Tries hardest: Arca
>Remembered: OPN
>Discography: OPN
>>
>>64731429

nice! thx 4 the trivia
>>
>>64731422
nice, netherlands works too
>>
>>64726479
>>
>>64731065
just finished listening to this
pretty interesting, it's probably the first time i've seen ferraro give a throughly, detailed account of his music
>>
So now this is new /mu/ "Big 4"?
fuck it
AE > BoC > Aphex > Squarepusher
>>
>>64726779
iAsia is his best release tho, I bet you havent heard it based on your response.
>>
>>64733632
sure dad
>>
>>64730765
I really really wish he didnt sing on poemss it ruins the album for me. He has the voice of an ogre.
>>
>>64726479
>>
>>64733646
i have actually kek. nice try though u fucking dick-riding nerd
>>
>>64734222
>Ferraro has been around since like 2006 or something
>there's no particular hype surrounding him atm
>dickriding
What...?
>>
>>64734972
ive been back on /mu/ for less than 2 days and hes the biggest meme ive seen consistently circulating on here
>>
I'm like 99% sure that OPN is the only one of these jokers that anyone will remember in 20 years
>>
>>64736131
yes he will be remembered just because he had the most commercial success not because hes best. just like phillip glass is remembered over terry riley, steve reich, or la monte young...
>>
>>64726479
OPN is the only one worth thinking about, great musician.
>>
>>64735120
kill yourself
>>
File: overused.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
overused.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>64729521
>I'd like to see him escape the Tri Angle School of Breaking Glass Sounds.
>>
>>64735120
>hes the biggest meme ive seen consistently circulating on here

You're joking, yeah?

The Animal Collective = 21 Pilots and Radiohead = Coldplay memes have been way more virulent.
>>
>>64731104
This beach sounds more sketchy than some dark alleys.
>>
>>64726735
funderrated post
>>
>>64737152
You've never been under the boardwalk, have you?
>>
>>64737583
W-what's under the boardwalk?
>>
i've heard all these dudes but ferraro

where do i start with his stuff?
>>
>>64738604
Far side virtual I guess

Avoid his new stuff and his super old stuff until you finish the rest
>>
>>64726479
>>
>>64740559
I agree
>>
>>64740559
same
>>
Arca had the best most recent album. Dean Blunt has the best discography. OPN tries the hardest. James Ferraro honorable mention.
>>
>>64730103
>james ferraro did only 3am and cold no lo-fi stuff with some going as long as almost 4 hours
yep jame did only pop!
>>
>>64740784
>Arca had the best most recente album
>what is Garden of Delete?
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.