[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Painting With by Animal Collective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: mgmt.jpg (58 KB, 427x427) Image search: [Google]
mgmt.jpg
58 KB, 427x427
This is the best album I've ever listened to. How do they keep doing it?
>>
don't have kids, OP
>>
Yeah, it's pretty good. Not even close to their best, but good
>>
It sounds like their voices are stepping on top of each other
>>
>>64724215
in a good way
>>
>>64724124
watching a ton of Rugrats I guess
also being really creative
what I'm hearing of the live albums is even better though desu, summing the wretch really comes alive in a live setting
>>64724215
it's called hocketing :^)
>>
>>64724124
it's literally my least favorite album of all the stuff they've done and I have listened to everything they've ever released.. I love pretty much everything else but I can't seem to get into this..dunno maybe it grows on me
>>
They're just that good senpai.
>>
Their least accessible album and best, plebs can't into hocketing
>>
So stoked to see them perform on November 4th. Cant wait to hear Loch Raven and Alvin Row live. What other non PW sonfs have they been playing?
>>
>>64724639
I know this is intentionally retarded but still
no
>>64724647
daily routine, gnip gnop/hounds of bairro, and some cover
>>
>>64724647
>>64724670
also bees, I forgot that one
>>
it will be seen as a classic in a few years. trust me.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 206x244) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 206x244
>>
Really good hocketing on this album.
>>
>>64725311
simply eric duderino *fist bump*
>>
>>64724124
Blurryface is better.
>>
>>64725311
Oh shit it's one of the 3 people spreading this meme.
>>
the album is very solid if you ignore all the panda tracks after lying in the grass
>>
I actually love Painting With, bums me out /mu/ praised it so much at first then turned on it. Only two tracks I don't care much for. The hocketing is its strongest feature.
>>
File: smh fam.jpg (123 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
smh fam.jpg
123 KB, 1242x2208
>>64726005
>the hocketing is its strongest feature
>>
>>64726005
why do you like it so much? I wish i could like it
>>
>>64726042
>he doesn't like the hocketing
4 letter word that starts with "p"
>>
>>64726094
i didn't mind it on hocus pocus or LitG

but LITERALLY EVERY FUCKING SONG panda's on uses it, except recylcing

at that point I'm tired of his voice. It doesn't help that the panda songs' melodies are lacking
>>
essential Rugrats-core
>>
>>64724195
this
>>
>>64724442
You like this less than Grim Reaper?
>>
>>64726149
like that's a bad thing
>>
this is in my bottom 3 for them. it might even be my least favorite. what do you see in it? not trying to be aggro, just curious.
>>
>>64726278
to expand on this, i also really don't care for PBVGR, CHz, or slasher flicks, or even really tomboy
>>
File: panda-maureen-gubia.png (515 KB, 443x641) Image search: [Google]
panda-maureen-gubia.png
515 KB, 443x641
>>64726072
The way they employ the call-and-response tricks are actually nicely varied. Sometimes they switch off every other word, sometimes they switch off with phrases, etc. it sounds to me like they expand upon the idea enough to keep it from getting old.

Also, a couple of the songs don't even feature hocketing. Only seven do, and then one of those (Natural Selection) employs it as a sound effect rather than for lyrical delivery.

I also read in numerous publications about their intention behind the hocketing. Noah mentioned they were hoping to invoke cubist imagery, and I think they succeeded at that in the chopping up and "rebuilding" of lyrical phrases. They attacked the words from numerous angles and I get strong geometric impressions from the vocals now. Fascinating in my opinion.

There's also some cool, albeit shallow and passing, observations on the political climate in there. They're not substantial but I find the sudden heavy drops of realism to be psychedelic in an odd but pleasant way.

I don't like Spilling Guts or Summing the Wretch; I definitely like this brand of poppy Animal Collective but those songs are unfortunately ugly renditions of it. Still a great album, not their best, but great.
>>
>>64726135
>except recylcing
Are you retarded? Not only can you not spell, but that whole song is hocketing, what the fuck?
>>
I had really enjoyed it a lot and then I saw them live a few days ago, and now I'm enamored with it. I would put it in their top 4
>>
>>64726369
maybe, I've heard that song maybe 4 times so I don't remember it well

I always stop at golden gal, and I only have my album going past bagels in keiv to get to golden gal
>>
imo it's the worst animal collective record, but its still at least a 7.5/10. their discography is consistently great
>>
>>64726353
Personally I don't mind the hocketing at all, in fact its one of my favorite parts about the album. I appreciate the writeup, the part about cubist imagery is really interesting.

The thing that irks me about it are the synths on Hocus Pocus, Vertical, Lying in the Grass, and Summing The Wretch. They use the same belching sound that I can't stand..
>>
>>64726310
I'm right there with all the albums you mentioned, this one just has better songwriting and production. It's not consistent, I'll give you that, but it's more focused and evenly produced than CHz or Slasher Flicks, and it has better songwriting and performances than GR and Tomboy (I do like Tomboy better than GR though). Hocus Pocus, Burglars, Golden Gal, and Recycling are all very good, and Floridada, as poppy as it is, is still pretty solid. The rest are spotty, but they all have moments I like, like the verse in Vertical, or the middle section of Bagels. Really, the thing I like most about this album is that it's a step in the right direction. Ever since MPP, Avey's been trying to prove to everybody he can still scream and be unpredictable, and Panda's been mind numbingly repetitive. This one is not their best but it doesn't have either of those problems, and I think it's a sign that at least Avey is going to be doing some good work from here on out, now that the pressure from MPP and the bad feels from his divorce are over with.

Not to mention, Deakin's album was great. I kind of hope we get to see an Avey/Geo/Deakin Anco release sans Pbear. That would be interesting as fuck.
>>
>>64726408
Why would you stop on the penultimate song? Recycling is one of the best tracks on the album.
>>
>>64726502
Hmm I understand that, the synthesizers on this album are often ugly and show up more than I would like too. They turned me off a little at first, but with more listens I think the melodies themselves prop up the timbral shortcomings. And I've come to see the synths as a continuation of the "paint" theme as well. Plus I enjoy electronic/neo-AnCo more than most. But I do think they could have been executed much better.
>>
>>64726698
Yeah that's a fair interpretation. I also like electronic anco a lot, mpp was the album that got me into anco and was one of my favorite albums ever for a long time. Still like it a lot but as I got into their earlier stuff i grew to like some of that more.

I do find that I enjoy listening to panting with in the gym, the melodies and and bouncy rhythms come through more than the textural failings and I enjoy it when running and lifting.

I wonder if they're planning on doing anything to follow this up, I mean it took 4 years after CHz to get PW so it seems like we're well past the years of AnCo being prolific.
>>
>>64726310
i do agree that the deakin album was great
>>
>>64725615
dunno what that is desu, is it like pw at all?
>>64725973
>ignoring summing the wretch, on delay, and recycling
wew lad
>>
>>64727083
>dunno what that is desu, is it like pw at all?

its a meme
>>
>>64724647
They're switching up their setlist in July.
>>
>>64725311
Face that your meme failed
>>
>>64727279
source?
>>64727413
this, almost milhouse-tier at this point desu
>>
>>64726646
strongly disagree

my favorites are golden gal, burglars, and floridada
>>
>Golden Gal
>Flori da-da
>Everything else who gives a fuck
>>
File: Anco_breakfast.jpg (275 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
Anco_breakfast.jpg
275 KB, 750x1334
for those who have seen them live on this tour,
when they do Golden Gal does anybody get a strong boy band impression? they way they sing this song about strong women seemed to please the female members of the audience. really reminded me of early Beatles/Beach Boys. I know that's a trite analogy when applied to their music but it surprised me how much it applied to their live performance too.
>>
File: paintingwithoutdeak.jpg (135 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
paintingwithoutdeak.jpg
135 KB, 900x900
>>64724124
Pretty gud....but not as gud as Deakin's solo shit.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.