[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people on /mu/ who haven't seen this also,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (239 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
239 KB, 1024x768
>there are people on /mu/ who haven't seen this
also, favorite song?
>>
>>64724019
Maaaaaan, I got my own damn rent to worry about
>>
Literally one of the worst goddamned musicals I've ever had the displeasure of having to experience. It's fucking garbage.
>>
>>64724648
B-but how do you measure the life of a woman or a man?
>>
AIDS!
>>
favorite songs are Will I? and Seasons of Love
>>
WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE
BARGING IN ON ME AND MY GUITAR
>>
>>64724665
Taste in musical theatre, probably.
>>
I used to love Rent in my musical theatre days. Even though I'm not into musical theatre anymore I now realize there are many musicals much better than Rent.

I still like a few songs. I'll Cover You, Without You, Will I? are all good. I really like Christmas Bells too. Its a really good medley.
>>
Seasons of Love is stuck in my head from time to time.

Also, I played piano for a production of this, AMA
>>
rent is the absolute WORST musical i've ever seen
>>
>>64724648
You know nothing about it's history or music theory then
>>
>>64724750
LITTLE GURL, HEY? THE DEWR IS THAT WAY
>>
>>64725007
this.
Lion King was amazing though, despite being for children.
>>
>>64725214
Lion King is a puppet show. It's visually nice, I guess, but it's just an optical roller coaster ride. Nowhere near worth the money they charge.
>>
>>64725301
Eh, that's fair. I still liked their use of cheap stage tricks (e.g. the puddle/blanket thingy "drying up")
>>
>>64726037
Yeah, it's an entertaining show. I'm just bitter that it's so expensive.
>>
Light My Candle is the only one I like, very lovely.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (82 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
82 KB, 384x313
>>64726140
Eh, what are ya gonna do
>>
I hate all the songs, but that's because I had a room mate a couple years ago who liked to belt them at 3am. He was also flat
>>
>>64724019
I like seasons of love and the rockish ones (rent, what you own...there might be one more, idk) but overall the musical is kind of garbage. You have boring, overlong songs like La vie boheme and over the moon which go nowhere and make me want to claw my ears off, and the way the movie handles 90s queer issues leaves a lot to be desired.

I love Jesse L Martin tho.
>>
>>64724019
As someone who is a drama teacher, I believe I can say that, with this being a musical, the music and story are most likely very derivative and I've probably already seen it without ever actually having seen it.
>>
>>64726581
Me too, but I like la vie boheme. It had a lot of power in its lyrics.
>>
>>64726742
So you haven't actually seen rent and your a drama teacher?
>>
>>64726742
You're absolutely right
>>
>>64726778
I teach acting, not musical theatre.
I have been in a few musicals though, and I begun to hate them very quickly.
>>
>>64726752
Eh, to each her own
>>
>>64726833
Also, in my country, there isn't much of a musical theatre scene like in New York or London, so professional productions of major musicals are very few, usually touring, and astronomically expensive.
>>
>>64726833
Jesus Christ, it doesn't even matter if you like it or not, every theatre person has to see rent at some point in there life, it's one of the biggest performances out there. Not even being rude, your going to be a laughing stock as a drama professor if you haven't seen this, so when you can: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo8CmwIKiDw
I bet you haven't seen into the woods either.
>>
>>64726943
Actually, I'll admit, no I haven't.

I appreciate your efforts to educate me anon, but that shit just doesn't interest me. Musicals are just so fucking ridiculous, in my opinion.

Also, I teach six year olds, so I doubt they'll be laughing at me. ;)
>>
>>64727059
Well that's your loss then. I don't even like musicals, and I didn't like rent until I got the whole history behind it. Fun times. Anyway, each to his own I guess.
>>
>>64727127
This has to be the nicest, most understanding board on this site.
>>
>>64727188
Naw, just us theatre kids
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.