[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Grimes the future of music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: tumblr_o6wf2hTlmN1r7z66ao1_1280.jpg (544 KB, 897x1190) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6wf2hTlmN1r7z66ao1_1280.jpg
544 KB, 897x1190
Is Grimes the future of music?
>>
I fucking hope not
>>
>>64715523
If by "music" you mean """"""""music"""""""" then yes.
>>
>>64715523
she's the past of music
>>
>>64715576
*laughing irl*
>>
>>64715621
thanks
>>
>>64715623
You're welcome. Still, I don't agree with that.
>>
>>64715523
Why? What did she innovate? How was she forward-thinking, if that's what you're trying to say?
>>
>>64715653
She invented her own genre. Listen to her discography. Again.
>>
>>64715574
You could have just said "if by '"' you mean '""""""""'", you know.
>>
if by "music" you mean "my cock", then I certainly hope so
>>
File: 3grimes2402.jpg (286 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
3grimes2402.jpg
286 KB, 1500x1000
wtf is grimes?
>>
>>64715523
She is the past of mankind
>>
The future is looking bleak.
>>
she's retarded but I like her music.
>>
>>64716340
I just can't let go of grimesy
>>
>>64716466
this
>>
>>64716466
You mistake her quirkness for retardness. Shame on you.
>>
>>64716466
She's just pretending
I do it too it's fun
>>
>>64715662
What genre did she invent?
>>
>>64716697
bubble metal
>>
>>64716639
quirky and retarded are two distinctly different things. acting like an idiot doesn't make you quirky, it makes you an idiot.
>>64716688
she's pretending to be a feminist? i have no idea what she gets up to in her personal life but I saw what she had to say about something regarding women and she came across as incredibly dumb.

that's not to say I don't appreciate her as an artist, I do, but her stance on political issues is just too stereotypical middle - upper class white girl for me.

thakfully I can disassociate Claire Boucher from Grimes.
>>
>>64716697
j-pop
>>
>>64716735
thankfully*
>>
>>64716697
Grimes music. A quirky mix of Cocteau Twins, Autechre, jpop, Mariah Carey, Nine Inch Nails, medieval music, New Order, Kraftwerk, and even some metal screams.
>>
Sure has been trending towards style over substance, but that is nothing new. People with actual talent will continue to push the boundaries followed by hacks who cash in on it like grimes.
>>
>>64716735
>quirky and retarded are two distinctly different things. acting like an idiot doesn't make you quirky, it makes you an idiot.
She's not acting like an idiot. From where did you get this idea? What did she do wrong?
>>
bruh a radiohead album dropped literally less than 24 hours and this mediocre pop drone even crosses your mind?
b a k a
>>
>>64716810
if you think I'm mistaking her being quirky for being retarded then it's assumed she acts in a way you perceive to be quirky.

she didn't do anything "wrong", I'm just not interested in her narrow and juvenile views on political issues and women within the music industry.
>>
>>64716340
she is suuuuuuch a qt with blue hair
makes me wanna start colouring my hair again
good timezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>>
>>64716850
>hello I am a pathetic fanatic of a mediocre band
brony tier
>>
>>64716881
barf.gif
>>
>>64716850
Radiohead are the past of the music. Even their experimental Kid A was a rip off of Warp Records artists. I can't stand this whiny / self-pitying music.
>>
>>64716799
So, do you imply that Grimes cashed in on? What artists she ripped off? Actual names, not blah blah blah.
>>
>>64716735
I think she has her own original opinion on things, which can easily confuse people and make you look stupid. I respect where it comes from

I was commenting more on her as a person. Her idiotic fun and then serious persona, it's all there in the actual music im not sure how you've disassociated the two.
>>
>She admits she's a hack unlike your favorite band/artist
>>
>>64716697
Grime
>>
>>64717192
So this is why everyone thinks her music sucks, i finally figured it out
>>
Today: the California music video.
>>
>>64717083
only what she said has been said possibly millions of times before on the likes of tumblr, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube by white girls going through their social justice phase.

she would be interesting if she actually had an original view when it comes to social issues, but she is a stereotype instead.

that said, I don't follow her to hear what she has to say on issues that matter. i follow her because her art is interesting, and while her political views will influence her as an artist, it's not in a way that is detrimental.
>>
>>64717257
yeah right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsCfufAp2tM
>>
>>64717395
this is literary better than the album version
>>
the last album sounds like shit early 2000 pop music... so no, she's the past
>>
File: cover.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
No but grime is rudeboi.
>>
>>64718152
This. How has no one realize this. Shit sounds like avril lavigne. Visions was decent but nothing new.
>>
>>64716697
prog
>>
>>64718194
>but nothing new.
Name other albums that sound like Visions (including that kind of voice).

>Shit sounds like avril lavigne.
It doesn't. You have ears? Just because she has a high pitched voice it doesn't mean she's like Avril Lavigne. The problem is yours: you hate all pop music.
>>
File: mpv-shot0005.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0005.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1080
I WANT TO FUCK GRIMES
>>
>>64715548
yes
>>
>>64717395
Im kind of attached to the original version
This'l take me a while
>>
File: mpv-shot0003.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0003.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1080
>>64718345
>>
>>64716697
>she invented her own genre
>WHAT GENRE DID SHE INVENT ???
Her own...
>>
>>64717384
It's hard to have anything new to say on topics so shallow and so over-used.
>It's pretty much like racism...
>You can be KKK
>You can be black panther
>The silent majority is unconcerned in the middle.
>>
>>64718259
>implying i hate grimes
>implying i hate pop
I wasnt talking about her voice on art angels. Im talking about the overall sound of the album. Her voice is just fine, i actually think its pretty nice. I also never said visions was trash, i just think itcould have been better, some songs felt a little weak. Please leave
>>
in what way could grimes possibly be the future of music if she is doing things that have been already tried and true in terms of lyrics as well as production and composition

she's going to open the door for artists that also look unique in terms of their style and voice, but that's it

if anything, the PC Music label entirely as well as FKA Twigs are going to shape music to come for a very long time
>>
>>64718656
Her work will age better is how
>>
>>64718656
I think it only really matters if she did her own thing, your idea of success sucks
>>
>>64718656
>if anything, the PC Music label entirely as well as FKA Twigs are going to shape music to come for a very long time
Completely wrong. All this stuff will remain niche. PC Music is just an ironic genre and all ironic genres become a joke sooner or later. No one will admit that they enjoyed this shitty cheesy genre.

FKA Twigs, she's so boring that it puts me to sleep. The future of music is a permanent sleep? ;)

As for Grimes, she already has 4 great albums released and she's becoming more and more successful and appreciated.
>>
I hope not. I love the music but musicians shouldn't take such a controlling attitude in areas like video direction and maybe even producing.

Its cool to see it a few times but shunning input and trying to be a generalist is a waste and it shows in her videos. Appears in the lyrics too desu -about a third of Art Angels is her complaining about her fans.

I get that when she was starting out sound engineers spoke down to her but that's no reason to go George Lucas about it.

>>64716783
Its Enya for young people
>>
>>64717965
agreed
>>
>>64718946
>Its Enya for young people
Grimes is WAY more diverse and innovative than Enya, who did the same new age stuff for... ages. Their voices are slightly similar, but that's all. You'll never hear an Enya song like Kill V. Maim or Circumambient too soon.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.