[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there anything as good as this in the alt-country genre? Its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: magnolia electric.jpg (125 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
magnolia electric.jpg
125 KB, 900x900
is there anything as good as this in the alt-country genre? Its amazing and nothing else has come close for me yet
>>
There's nothing else like it. Therein lies it's power. It's a stand-alone achievement.
>>
Recommend an alt-country album to someone who's new to the genre
>>
>>64709989
Uncle Tupelo and the first Son Volt record. Molina isn't really alt-country, just this record sort of is.
>>
>>64709989
pic related: magnolia electric
not op but this is some prime alt country. I love it
>>
>>64709755
can you tell us more about the appealing aspects of this album OP??
>>
>>64710114
Is uncle Tupelo really alt country tho?
>>
File: ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
>>64710177
is he?
>>
>>64710139
Not OP but this is my favorite record of all time. Didn't It Rain is up there too. Jason Molina was clearly one of the finest songwriters of the last thirty years or so.
>>
>>64709989
Catacombs by Cass McCombs
>>
>>64710177
I have trouble with alt-country as a label. It doesn't really mean much because it's too broad a descriptor. I think one of the finest American albums of the 80's was Camper Van Beethoven's 'Key Lime Pie' and I sort of consider that an alt-country sound in that I hear Buck Owens and Fresno and Bakersfield in it. I don't imagine anyone thinks of CVB as alt-country though, by definition.
>>
>>64709755
man i don't know what to tell you

Bright Eyes...sorta? Maybe some older artists, too?

literally that's all i can think of and neither of them are even alt-country really.

>>64709903 was right. It's such a unique distillation of who Molina was, all wrapped up in, like, almost a greatest-hits cherry-picked type of Americana. It's sort of the logical conclusion of the genre, because it takes everything that came before and crystallized it. And besides, Molina was one of the only artists ever--and certainly one of the only modern artists--who made that kind of songwriting work without sounding hokey. You're not gonna find anything because there literally cannot be anything better, I think. It's the solution and conclusion to every value and theme that the genre and its predecessors have.

Side note, Hold On Magnolia is my pick for the song that should be playing when the world ends.

Imagine being in a spaceship flying away from Earth, and looking back at it as it bursts at the seams and descends into fire and molten rock, and you can't HEAR it happening but you can imagine the tremors and the thunder and the chaos and screams of the people left behind and you know all that in your head but you can't hear it. You just hear that song, and right as it climaxes and fades out, the planet starts collapsing in on itself and ceases to exist right as the last guitar note fades.

That's what I get out of that track.

What a great album. as soon as AMSP is done i'm gonna listen to it again.
>>
>>64711028
sorry for the autism. this album is very special to me.
>>
>>64709755
have you ever listened to Progressive Rock?
>>
>>64709755
Ghost Tropic and Protection Spells are better.
>>
>>64709755
16 Horsepower have 3 albums up there.

Jay Munly has 3 (his last three)

Wovenhand has like 3 (Wovenhand, Blush Music, Mosaic)

I also really liked Tarantella.
>>
>>64709755
OP, while i agree there's nothing out there like this album, diving deeper into Jason Molina's discography is such a worthwhile endeavor. Some of his later songs have that Magnolia sound, and all of his stuff is good on its own.

Plus, if you haven't, LISTEN TO THE BONUS TRACKS. The Big Game Is Every Night is one of my all time favorites of his, and Whip Poor Will is such a sweet, small song. The 10th Anniversary edition of Magnolia Electric Co. is full of quality shit. Mmmmm.

>>64711028
damn now i got those feels too, gotta relisten.

>>64711101
this is a valid point, but prog rock doesn't usually go for that "alone at the bar" vibe that Magnolia does.
>>
>>64711121
MEC>Didn't It Rain/Ghost Tropic. Ghost Tropic is the best of the early stuff tho. That yelp on The Body Burned Away is one of the best things ever.
>>
>>64709903
Why is this board so full of plebs? Not even gonna bother reading through the rest of the thread.

kys pls
>>
Non-American here. Is this actually listenable for people like me?
>>
File: rules.jpg (12 KB, 260x156) Image search: [Google]
rules.jpg
12 KB, 260x156
>>64711792
>>
karen elson - the ghost who walks
>>64711628
protection spells is great too
>>
>>64711734
Name one better country and classic rock influenced existential blue collar rust belt angst record full of deeply personal poetry that someone that talented wrote and meant every word of. Your answer may not include anyone who already had money when they made said recording.

Molina is Townes Van Zandt tier, easy. There's not too many others on that list.
>>
Sackville - Principles of Science
>>
>>64709755
system of a down does it
>>
>>64709755

I liked Didn't It Rain more. I don't have the 2014 reissue, though
>>
>>64712257
>>64711628
you know the rym parroting faggots are here when they mention DiR being anywhere near the top
>>
>>64711980
Nevada by Bruce Springsteen? Moon Pix by Cat Power? Apocalypse by Bill Callahan? Idk, not necessarily saying these are better albums but there is other stuff out there.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6abj9yRUc
The Big Game is Every Night.
I didn't hear this track until I got the somewhat recent reissue. It's easily one of his best and everyone who's interested in Molina should listen to it.
>>
Best alt-country band is Lambchop. Can't believe nobody has mentioned them yet.
>>
>>64712409
I believe you're incorrect
>>
>>64709989
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
>>
>>64712959
Okay
>>
>>64709755

Definitely among my top albums of all time.

The guy could seriously write.
>>
>>64712862

I've been meaning to check them out more! I've got Nixon and How I Quit Smoking - anything other good albums?
>>
>>64712358

I don't use RYM, but I met did have lunch with Molina a couple of times
>>
Is Whiskeydick alt-country?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrMO8BvzhCc
>>
>>64709755
Everything All The Time
>>
>>64709989
will oldham (bonnie prince billy & palace brothers) - Herman dune (first album, it's shit since one of the brothers is gone) - thanksgiving - jana hunter - Justin vollmar ... ect but let's start with that.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.