[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saxophone hate thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: sax.jpg (33 KB, 595x595) Image search: [Google]
sax.jpg
33 KB, 595x595
This glorified kazoo is one of the worst fucking things ever invented.
>>
>>64708755
more of a glorified brass recorder, it has the same fingerings as one
>>
Listen to the MP3 while following the music:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5627085/blogfiles/breckerinvitation.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5627085/blogfiles/breckerinvitation.pdf
>>
File: sax.jpg (18 KB, 250x386) Image search: [Google]
sax.jpg
18 KB, 250x386
Say that to my face fucker not online see what happens
>>
>>64708755
OP here I take it back, a kazoo has more range.
>>
>>64708791
>Brecker
You're totally proving OPs point
>>
>>64708868
What the fuck is wrong with Brecker you fucking pleb?
>>
>>64708755

If you can't get down to I Want A New Drug or Soul Love you can fuck off.
>>
>>64708755
B...b..bu...but Baker Street
>>
I hate singles
>>
>>64708755
if that's true, then how do you explain >>64708901
>>
>>64708755
Well, it DOES tend to stand out in the forefront of an arrangement and distract from the other instruments, which can be really annoying.
>>
The saxophone is a wonderful instrument, and I am sorry you feel this way.
>>
trombone master race reportin in.

sax sucks lol
>>
File: 0812juliaholter_lg.gif (105 KB, 500x631) Image search: [Google]
0812juliaholter_lg.gif
105 KB, 500x631
>TFW you play the saxophone
I play it pretty well too, good feel.

She also plays the sax.
>>
>>64710061
so does everyone else. p easy istrument desu senpai
>>
File: 1452265792847.jpg (43 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1452265792847.jpg
43 KB, 499x499
>>64708808
>>
>>64710085
Easy to learn, hard to master
Requesting audio file of you hitting any note in the altissimo register

>inb4 cheating by squeaking
>>
>>64709784
I know what you mean. I don't mind saxes in a big-band setting, but when you've got something like a piano trio which is really balanced and relies so much on interplay, and then you just slap a sax on top because you feel like you need someone to play the main melodic role, that ruins jazz combos.
>>
>>64708791
wew, this was really great, Anon. Makes me want to learn it
>>
>>64709992
bass trombone supremacy
>>
>>64708771
You're not wrong

>>64708810
Kazoo has a human vocal range. Not really an applicable comparison

>>64710230
True of any instrument

>>64709992
>trombone
>only good part of the instrument is a gimmick
Okay dad.
>>
>>64708947
don't forget careless whisper
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVRCdEg41NU
>>
>>64711786
While it's true that any instrument added to an arrangement without consideration of it's effect is necessarily bad, my point was that sax doesn't play nice with other instruments in general. Sure it can sound nice with brass, but with anything else it necessarily pushes itself to the forefront. It lacks the ability to easily hide within the mix, and that makes it unadaptable.
>>
>>64711949
yeah; unlike the trombone which sounds nice with everything.
>>
File: 1316816793430.jpg (12 KB, 385x278) Image search: [Google]
1316816793430.jpg
12 KB, 385x278
This fucking thread.
>>
>>64711949
what you seem to be saying would be true of any non-rhythm section instrument, and it seems you don't really understand jazz, you just don't like the tone of wind/brass instruments
>>
>>64711968
Well, yeah. Sure there are lots of players that toot away on their trombones without any consideration of tone, but that's a failing of the musician, not the instrument. My point is that it is possible to round out the tone of a trombone so that it does go well and not draw attention from most other instruments. The same cannot be said of the say (with the possible exception of a few weirder forms of the family like the conn-o-sax)

>>64712093
Not at all. Many instruments are able to play melodically while not forcing the entire ensemble to focus solely on them. That's the entire point of good trio and chamber ensemble playing, that it's not about a single melody with backing, but a few instruments of equal importance, all sharing melodic and supporting roles. If you don't understand that, then I'd suggest that you're the one with the limited knowledge of jazz.

Also, I love wind and brass instruments. I think the clarinet is one of the most expressive instruments on the planet, and I think that the cornet and trumpet are both perfectly suited to jazz, and gorgeous in the hands of a delicate player.

And don't get me wrong, I love the saxophone too: Parker, Coletrane, and Stetson are all regulars to my stereo at home - I just think that the instrument has it's limitations and is unsuited to certain situations, and that this is a fact which is often ignored by a lot of smaller jazz groups who tend to throw one in almost out of obligation, rather than consideration of it's sound.
>>
but for real. Fuck that buzzy timbre. That shit is annoying as hell
>>
>>64712318
do you play the clarinet? not really that expressive imo fun to play tho
>>
>>64712653
No, I don't play clarinet beyond the absolute basics required to write idiomatically for it.

Really? I find it very expressive - it has such a vastly different tone in each of it's registers!
>>
>>64712679
brass has way more options to manipulate the sound desu with all dem mutes and plungers and whotnot. not saying clarinet is not expressive enough in its own rights. just found your opinion odd
>>
>>64712791
I get where you're coming from in that brass has more numerous achievable tone-colours, but I still disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm a lot more of a composer than a performer, and so I place more value on the combined tone-colour of an ensemble than that of the individual player (or, more accurately the combined narrative power of tone-colour rather than the number of producable timbres - but I'll get to that), but I've always found that what makes an instrument expressive isn't the number of different tone-colours it can create so much as the number of different roles (and shades between them) it can play within an ensemble or within the telling of a compositional story because of it's tone colour. While brass may have more tone colours available to it through it's extended techniques, a lot of them result in a similar role within the ensemble or the structure of the composition, and while there are certainly players who completely turn it's role on it's head and use brass and sax in really innovative ways to change what it feels like it's actually DOING in a song (see: Colin Stetson), I've always found these to be in the minority, and vastly overshadowed by the variation in shades of role and function attainable by a clari.

It's a bit like a painter with a hundred shades of blue on his pallet - sure he can paint a really gorgeous sky with it, and his painting will be beautifully detailed, but a painter with just the prime colours can make a much more striking painting - each colour can actually DO something different to the painting and the observer (rather than just add detail), and the combination of them (by this, I don't mean mixing them together to make new colours; I mean the differing effects they have when placed next to each other in differing amounts) creates at least as much variation, if not more.
>>
>>64712991
What I mean is, If your painting is primarily in one or two colours for instance, but there's a certain point on it with a vastly contrasting colour, it'll draw the eye - you can use that contrast to create an emotional impact that you can't do nearly as effectively with a hundred shades of fewer colours.
>>
>>64712991
>>64713008
care to share your compositions?
>>
>>64713226
Not particularly. Why?
>>
What does /mu/ think of Moon Hooch?
>>
>>64713306
i like your view and am always up for some new interesting music.
>>
sax is goat for jazz, shit for everything else.

i cringe when i hear sax in big band settings playing classical music. absolutely disgusting

but it's perfect for jazz. expressive, abrasive, cuts through other instruments for solos well
>>
>>64713338
Well, I'm at my parent's place at the moment since I came to visit for Mother's Day, so I don't have all my music with me. I suppose I could drag up some old uni comp assignments and the like, but they'll all be MIDI, and pretty basic, and as such, they're not really going to be able to demonstrate the kinds of ideas I was talking about in that post with regards to colour and timbre.

But, I mean, If you want?
>>
>>64713456
See, that to me is exactly what makes it bad for lots of jazz.
>>
>>64708755
Portishead - Magic fucking Doors
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.