[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Moon Shaped Pool - OPINIONS THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 7
http://www.strawpoll.me/10164839

>top 3 songs

>best moment

>fav lyric(s)

>new chamber pop sound good or bad?

>subject matter?

>pitchdick/fantano/metacritic scores?
>>
listening for the first time now
burn the witch is so good
>>
>mentioning fantano
go to bed fantano
>>
>>64700920
D I G E S T I O N
>>
>>64700920
>top3 songs
Daydreaming
Glass Eyes
Ful Stop
>best moment
Still the second crescendo of Daydreaming
>fav lyrics
lolno
>good or bad chamber pop
Bad because there's not enough energy.
>subject matter
Yes?
>pitchfork
8.3-8.6
>>
>>64701048
>implying p4k wont give this a 9 minimum
how delusional are u?
>>
>top 3

daydreaming
decks dark
ful stop
>>
>>64701097
This record has 8.3 all over it.
>>
>liking daydreaming
>>
DECKS DARK GOAT

>Two worst tracks before and after it
>>
Top 3
>Burn The Witch
>Identikit
>Ful Stop

Best Moment
>BROKEN HEAAAARTS, MAKE IT RAAAAAIN

Strong 9 from fantano, 9.3 from p4k, lol at metacritic
>>
its going to get at least a 9 from both fantano and pitchfork because its Radiohead and the album is objectively great
>>
>>64701097
Can a white group crack 9.3 for the first time in years? Has the time come, /mu/? Will Radiohead Make P4k Great Again?
>>
>>64700920
Ful Stop
Identikit
The Numbers

The choir in The Numbers or the synth in Identikit

Haven't looked at the lyrics much so far

Good

Don't care

8.7 p4k, 8 Fantano, 83 Metacritic
>>
is Decks Dark literally Teardrop?
>>
>>64701265
Nah, but I can hear it now slightly in the chord progression
>>
The Numbers is fucking GOAT
>>
At least half of the songs on the albums are inferior versions of songs we've already heard and the rest is pretty standard by the numbers stuff.

Sonically it's just not very interesting to me and I think TKOL was a lot better in that respect.

For now it's a 5.
>>
7/10 at best. It's reallly boring. But Radiohead fanboys are gonna hype it up the same way Nolan fanboys hyped up that shitshow Interstellar.
>>
desert island disk sounds like a nick drake song
>>
>>64701378

>7/10
>Really boring

Choose one, faggot
>>
>>64701396
Yeah but a really mediocre one
>>
>>64701426
It's about the same level of quality as Currents.
>>
>>64701460
Edit: Currents had more memorable melodies and better production, tho
>>
present tense
decks dark
daydreaming
>>
>>64701505
wow u got it right first try
>>
Ful Stop
Tinker Tailor...
True Love Waits
>>
>>64701097

All the members of Radiohead are white.
>>
>>64701730
>Radiohead posters are also /pol/ posters.

Good to know
>>
>>64701188

plebs... they never learn..
beyond the point.. of no return..
>>
>>64700920
8.5/10

>top 3 songs
Identikit
Decks Dark
Present Tense

>best moment
realizing that the singles released prior doesn't even hold a candle to the rest of the album. I was scared to death that they would be the best tracks.

>fav lyric(s)
not sure. my first listen-through was with eyes closed and thom isn't the most articulate singer.

fucking sublime

>subject matter?
on first impression this seems to be more of a personal and direct portrayal of sadness than what's usual of them.

I don't give a flying shit
>>
It's thom yorke's black star nahmean
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 299x168
> 5<
>>
>>64701237
Sufy did this last year desu
>>
am I the only one who thinks the choir on identikit sounds like filthy franks music? lol
>>
>>64701460
Currents was pretty class though I thought.

Are Radiohead done? I haven't listened to this album yet but TKOL was pretty shit. Especially if you compare it to Bends/OKC/even Kid A.
>>
I get the feeling that I wouldn't care about this if it wasn't RH
>>
>pleb
Ful Stop
Identikit
True Love Waits
The Numbers

>contrarian
Desert Island Disk
Tinker Tailor
Burn The Witch

>patrician
Past Tense
Glass Eyes
Decks Dark
Daydreaming
>>
>>64702486
C&L at least contained some genuine emotion. I get nothing from Thom's singing.
>>
>>64704526
Yay, guess I'm a tru patrician
>>
Anyone else think the band is getting really lazy with their melodies? Especially Yorke's vocal ones, it's hard to recall any of them at all. The album basically feels like all texture. Its boring.
>>
File: cringebook.png (57 KB, 472x608) Image search: [Google]
cringebook.png
57 KB, 472x608
Who has a cringier fanbase, Radiohead or Tool?
>>
Great work from the band, pretty ordinary songwriting from Mr Yorke, at least by his standards.

>>
>>64700920
>top 3 songs
Present Tense
Glassy Eyes
Daydreaming

>Best moment
The choral in Present Tense or the really creepy phrase at the end of Daydreaming

>Fav lyrics
The entirety of Glassy Eyes

>New chamber pop sound good or bad
My favorite Radiohead sound since kid a/amnesiac.

>subject matter?
Haven't fully digested that yet

>scores
who cares
>>
Sounds about what I would expect from modern Radiohead. Some shallow lazy beats and melodies with Thom humming idioms he found on google over the top.
>>
>>64704714
>getting lazy with the melodies
>8/11 of these tracks are old
I can see what you're getting at with some of the more bombastic tracks. But the minimal one's contain very memorable melodies. All 3 melodic "sections" of Present Tense sound catchy to me.
>>
>>64704890

Your concept of what is an "old" song says a lot about your opinion of the band.
>>
>Top 3
Identikit
Present Tense
True Love Waits
>Best moment
the guitar solo on Identikit
>Fav lyrics
all of TLW
>New chamber pop sound good or bad
great, was time for another change like this
>subject matter
losing love maybe?
>pitchdick, fagtano, sjwcritic scores?
they can suck my dick
>>
I'm a long time Radiohead fan, 12 years or so i've listened to them. But I can't tell any of these songs apart.
>>
>>64701730
I think this is pretty much completely right desu senpai
>>
Just finished listening for the first time, immediately I think it's a very good album and it absolutely blows TKOL away in terms of quality. I think it's on par with Amnesiac and In Rainbows, which is stunning considering how lackluster TKOL was. People who are saying it's better than OK Computer and Kid A are out of their minds, though. The only obvious flaw with the record is it rarely moves out of slow-ballady territory, which isn't necessarily bad as they've really locked that shit down this time round, but they don't move into more energetic territory outside of a few moments.

I think you have to note that they really, truly have become a different band, they're not a rock band anymore and they haven't been since In Rainbows. Again, this is not a negative thing as them doing chamber/baroque pop is surprisingly powerful as this is a great record, but they're definitively not anywhere near a "rock band" anymore.

Top three songs were probably Ful Stop, The Numbers and True Love Waits. Not really a weak song on here, though. Their reinterpretation of True Love Waits isn't as jaw-droppingly amazing as it was on their live album but it's really fucking sad and heartfelt. Great fucking album lads, hats off to them.
>>
"Identikit" isn't good in my opinion
>>
>>64704714
I completely disagree actually, I think the vocal melodies on this are some of the best they've ever done, surprisingly.
>>
>>64702899
>I haven't listened to this album yet

It's good though
>>
>>64701460
lmao no fucking way, Currents was a piece of shit. I'll grant Tame Impala that Lonerism is probably better than Pablo Honey and TKOL but after that they really aren't anywhere near close in ability.
>>
>>64700920
Who is this new band everyone is talking about?
>>
I rate music by how much chicks you can score by listening to it. This is a 0/10, music for depressed weak nerd cucks.
>>
Burn The Witch-7.5
Daydreaming-8 (9.5 when i watch the video)
Decks Dark-6
Desert Island Disk-7
Ful Stop-8
Glass Eyes-7
Identikit-7
The Numbers-7
Present Tense-7.5
Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief-6.5
True Love Waits-6

Original TLW is a 9, i'm don't think the new version adds anything, we're just getting an inferior version of a song we've known for years to close the album. That pisses me off a little. They just made a simple song worse with some bullshit ambient texturing noodles that nobody needed. I think people are so excited by it just beause "Its true love waits on an album finally!".

Of course this is after less than a day so I could change my opinion, but right now I'm feeling Thom is the weak link here. The albums sure sounds nice, but the Thoms songs are getting stale. The orchestral touches arent as compelling as i would have liked, i was expecting some Greenwood OST shit, not chamber pop thats been done a lot better by others.
>>
>>64705510
the fuck are you on, radiohead is a band you namedrop in order to get girls
>>
I predict a lot of the negativity surrounding this release is going to fall away as people relisten to the album. Whereas it was the opposite with TKOL.
>>
>>64705510
Radiohead is pussy magnet for trust fund girls
>>
>>64705538
>Original TLW is a 9, i'm don't think the new version adds anything, we're just getting an inferior version of a song we've known for years to close the album. That pisses me off a little. They just made a simple song worse with some bullshit ambient texturing noodles that nobody needed. I think people are so excited by it just beause "Its true love waits on an album finally!".

Yes, part of what made True Love Waits great was that its first wide release came on the "I Might be wrong" live album. Here was this simple, old school thom acoustic song in at the end of 2 years of kid a/amnesiac. It was an endearing contrast that added to the songs lovability. I was super duper excited when i saw it on the tracklist earlier.

On MSP, its just reworked with some pretty medicore instrumentation to make it fit, completely unremarkable within the album, stripped of its power and in my opinion one of the biggest "You blew it" moments on any radiohead album.
>>
>>64705661
I actually liked TKOL more with more listens. Although I did go into it thinking that it was going to be disappointing. It's a solid album but it wasn't their most exciting

Also that's how I'm currently feeling about AMSP. I really enjoy some of the tracks from it and they haven't lost any of their songwriting ability but neither of the last two albums have been as good as In Rainbows IMO
>>
>>64700920
Besides The Numbers and maybe Present Tense do any of these songs have any memorable melodies? It's all texture and ambience, these guys are capable of so much more. They'll never top In Rainbows
>>
I've never heard "True Love Waits" before and I have to say, I think it's probably the best song on the album. Better than "Videotape" for example.

I think the ambient stuff is great, and brings it into the album. I'm sure you guys have good reasons for feeling the way you do, but for me, I honestly think it's a beautiful closer, the ambient work on it adds to it and makes it mystical. It adds to the feeling of Thom being lost, and in the general mentality of the rest of the album. It feels like drifting off into space, the sense that we're looking out into space from behind a car window and rain is splashing on it, and there is nothing we can do. It's like a dream, and it ends. And we wake up.

The whole album really does feel like a dream sequence that someone had while sleeping at night. It flows like a dream, and there is something vaguely hypnagogic about it, especially with that last song. It feels like those moments in the morning where you're still in a dream and you're waking up. I love the album after second listen. Starting on a third right now.
>>
>>64705809
>It's all texture and ambience

You say that like its a bad thing and like if some artist havent build a career just around those that lol
>>
File: 1454729606338.jpg (18 KB, 320x286) Image search: [Google]
1454729606338.jpg
18 KB, 320x286
>4.10 on rym
>>
>>64705860
I expect actual melodies from Radiohead, most of these songs are indistinguishable from each other, and it's all the same fucking mood. If you're not going to bother with making music at least make something that resonates
>>
Daydreaming
Glass Eyes
True Love Waits

P4k - 9.1
Anthony - Strong 8
Metacritic - 86
>>
>>64705916
>I expect actual melodies from Radiohead, most of these songs are indistinguishable from each other

Try listening to the album paying attention to it maybe
>>
>>64705164
Ok
>>
>>64705809
I actually think the instrumentation on In Rainbows was better, whereas the melodies on this are more enjoyable. Relistening to In Rainbows I realise texture is essentially the focal point.
>>
>>64700920
>the first three songs with maybe one of them switched with either identikit, the numbers, or true love waits. im still shakey on what i really like from this album
>the piano on decks dark
>dunno, don't pay much attention to lyrics
>good, im lovin it
>what
>doesnt matter but probably 9ish

i like it a good amount but i dunno if i absolutely love it, but thats the case with most radiohead for me
>>
>>64705916
First off, you don't have to get it. I might have been wrong hating TKOL. I just thought the production was terrible. But honestly, people can connect with different things.

I can see how someone would find this album, but the lyrics, feelings, and sounds are really resonating with me personally right now. I could give my reasons but they're a little emo, but at the same time, not really.

I usually hate ambient music, and who knows, maybe I'm forcing myself to like it more than some kind of trash like Alt-J.

Who knows what the objective verdict is... isn't the point of music to listen to it? Music doesn't exist for the purpose of being judged. It exists to be heard and felt by humans so I think people should just let themselves enjoy it if they want, it might suck, who knows!
>>
>top 3 songs
The Numbers, Identikit and Ful Stop
>best moment
True Love Waits as a closing, no life in a glass house but pretty good
>fav lyric(s)
Idk yet
I like it but I feel that they'd have to do another album to nail the sound down
>subject matter?
Need to listen to it more
Will get 9s, deserves 8s
>>
Kid A > In Rainbows = Amnesiac = Ok Computer > King of Limbs = Moon Shaped Pool > Hail to the Thief > The Bends >>>> Pablo Honey
>>
>top 3 songs
The Numbers, Present Tense, Daydreaming
>best moment
Maybe the guitar part in Identikit
>fav lyric(s)
Don't know
It's good, they can do anything, but I prefer the In Rainbows sound
>subject matter?
What?
Who gives a fuck
>>
>>64705732
If you think True Love Waits is bad you should see how bad Bjork fucked up All Is Full of Love on the Homogenic album. I thought it was just going to be the song, then when I listened to the album Bjork had fucked it up so badly my stomach dropped.
>>
>>64706111
OKC>Kid A>IR>TKOL>Amnesiac=The Bends>HTTT>PH

Sometimes I consider switching OKC and Kid A
>>
>>64705916
I can agree to an extent. its interesting because "Burn the Witch" has this "springtime/optimism" "epic" sort've bright sound to it....wheras the rest is much more contemplative/moody/contemplative......
a little misleading as the first track
>>
>>64705763
meh I think this one is as good as In Rainbows

it's just not varied enough, it's too slow. still really good tho.
>>
File: 5068699241_bf86cbfa9b_b.jpg (271 KB, 607x800) Image search: [Google]
5068699241_bf86cbfa9b_b.jpg
271 KB, 607x800
>>64706266
I honestly think that may have a lot to do with Thom's actual state of mind......notice the artwork for AMSP is all greyscale vs. "in rainbows"....just like we all naturally go through ups and downs, its the (maybe) unfortunate reality that thom is "getting older", has been through the end of a long term relationship, and needs to reconcile some different emotions/mortality for example, morose type requiems for the ends of loves and things.

a musician/artist can't exactly "make" something that is directly at odds with their emotional state.....that sort've being the point of art/catharsis...................
>>
I don't know my favorite song/lyric/moment yet but Jonny's orchestration alone makes this one of their best.
>>
>God-Tier
Present Tense
Identikit
Ful Stop
Decks Dark

>Great-Tier
Daydreaming
True Love Waits

>Good-Tier
Everything else
>>
File: 1461126584469.png (124 KB, 5000x2571) Image search: [Google]
1461126584469.png
124 KB, 5000x2571
>Present Tense kicks in

Sorry TKOL

>pic related
>>
>>64706325
The problem with thom is that he looks like shit nowadays, but c´mon, he is not that old, he is barely 7 years older than sufjan stevens.
>>
A Moon Shaped Pool is literally a 10/10 album with no bad songs on it.
It will be a classic 20 years from now
>>
>>64706545
This. /mu/ will say otherwise but time will tell.
>>
It was okay. I liked King of Limbs more, honestly. It did the gloomy feeling better.
This album just doesn't stick out the way their other ones do.

Full Stop was great though. 6/10 album
>>
Just gave it my first listen. It is most certainly too early to tell how I feel about it as a whole but I can say I don't explicitly dislike any of it. I think I need to warm up to a few of these tracks before saying anything definitive but I am fairly comfortable in saying that Burn The Witch and Ful Stop are just about shoe-ins as my favorites. The former's HTTT stylings hit home with me on first listen and while I was expecting a bit more force out of the latter it still is the floater I wanted more than any other and it still came out peachy keen. Don't really have a third track in mind just yet, those two are the clear highlights for me.
>>
>>64700920
>top 3 songs

daydreaming
true love waits
ful stop

>best moment
transition from tinker taylor into true love waits

>fav lyric(s)
"im not living, im just killing time

9.1 bnm/ strong 8/ 90+
>>
moon shaped pool, beautiful and cohesive. greenwood's string arrangements are so good, i love them. very gainsbourg/melody nelson. to be honest, i found every single track on this to be exceptional

top 3 probably: daydreaming, decks dark, present tense
>>
It was alright, not a bad album in the slightest. Just isn't what i would have thought when I thought of Radiohead.

That being said, Burn the Witch is one of my favorite songs from them, while Ful Stop, Tinker Tailor and maybe Identikit were really strong albums.

They took the gloom from Amnesiac and Kid A and turned it to 11, and while that's not a bad thing, I'd just rather listen to those two, or HTTT.

I'll definitely be revisiting this album, though. Feels like it'd go great on a rainy day with some booze.
>>
>>64707481
Strong songs, not albums. My bad
>>
>>64707481
>Just isn't what i would have thought when I thought of Radiohead.

I'm not disagreeing with you but this is literally what people say every single time they release an album. They change their shit up, expecting them to stick to what they did before will only ever be wrong y'know?
>>
>>64700920
>http://www.strawpoll.me/10164839
Lets be honest here lads, it's a solid 8/10
>>
radiohead's seachange
>>
>>64704714
You're right about the melodies. Pablo Honey and The Bends had catchy, conventional vocal melodies. Ever since OK Computer, Yorke's melodies have generally been getting less hooky, less rhythmic, and more in the direction of a slowly wailing violin. It's a characteristic that's unique to Radiohead but not in a good way.
>>
>>64707694
meh I don't understand what people are thinking here

I thought the entire album was good BECAUSE of the melodies.
>>
>>64705510
Radiohead has a sizeable female fanbase on Tumblr.

Back to
>>>>>>>>>>>>>/r9k/
>>
>>64705661
I predict the exact opposite. Let's see who's right in a decade.
>>
>>64707785
For what it's worth that guy is very wrong about TKOL

it's status improved over time by far
>>
>>64705538
who did it better?
>>
> Best songs
Daydreaming (this is really trying to become one of my all-time faves from the band)
Ful Stop
Identikit

> Best moment
Either the live-drum entrance in Ful Stop or those warped-out-of-this-dimension vocals at the end of Daydreaming
>>
I listened to this album 4 times already and I really am enjoying and relating to it. My girlfriend broke up with me today so thank you Thom Yorke for keeping me from blowing my brains out.
>>
I like the music and can appreciate its technical excellence, but it's a bit too low BPM / "boring" for me at the moment.
>>
File: 10tygr.jpg (266 KB, 1500x998) Image search: [Google]
10tygr.jpg
266 KB, 1500x998
>>64707375
>>
I can see Fantano giving it an 8 at best. P4k probably in the 8-9 region.

I'd love it to blow up and get 10s across the board though.
>>
Is it just me or does Decks Dark fit just as well if not better than Spectre/Writings on the wall as a bond theme.
>>
>>64708317
Why the fuck do you care what critics give it after you have already listened to it like jesus fuck the music is the same regardless of what fagtano thinks of it.
>>
Idk I like it but it's kinda meh.

Then again I'm also starting to think I'm just clinically depressed because I don't enjoy anything anymore, especially music that I used to love
>>
>>64708038
low bpm wtf. radiohead don't make techno music why does bpm matter
>>
>>64705916
>I expect things from radiohead
this is where you've failed
>>
>>64707831
yeah, TKOL is boring and repetitive and lacking in positive qualities for me but I might just be being a dick. I can't listen to that fucking thing. it's literally horrible in my opinion. abominable garbage.
>>
I would go so far as to say that the kind of people who pretend that TKOL is anything more than a boring turd are the exact type of people responsible for just about everything that's wrong with the world right now

new album is about an 8
>>
Sitting here on my third listen and it's starting to settle a little in just how expansive of an effort this is. Not necessarily just because it's incorporating more orchestral elements, but in part because it synergizes these elements so well with the established Radiohead stylings. I feel like in almost every way this album is an evolutionary step from In Rainbows, which I already had believed was a dead end for the band's sound. Much as I like TKOL, this album is what that album should've been. The real issue here is In Rainbows might have perfected Radiohead's blend of rock and electronic elements but it also featured refined pop songcraft, and that's where AMSP gets shaky - for the most part, this album seems like an active step away from tighter structures for something more amorphous and ethereal. It's pushing things forward for the band, but at the expense of accessibility - I cannot in all good conscience call this an easy record like I can IR. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I can see it being the straw that breaks the back of some camels. In any case, I really think an album like this needs some serious digestion - I really want to know how I feel about it a month out from now.
>>
>>64709985
>>64710105

I don't get this. I sincerely find most of TKOL to be rather accessible. Bloom, Codex, and Give Up The Ghost are the only real oddballs on the album I could possibly see as the other tracks have a strong rhythmic backbone. Hell, it confuses me to no end how people hate Feral so much - I think it's the catchiest shit on the album. Are looped patterns really that inaccessible?
>>
>>64700920
>best 3 songs
Ful Stop
The Numbers
Present Tense

>moment
Drums coming in around the middle of Ful Stop, along with THE TRUTH WILL MESS YOU UP

>new chamber pop sound
Sounds awesome, but they're not going to repeat it anyway so who cares. Let's just enjoy it.

>subject matter
There's definitely some heavy loss themes in there, but I haven't explored things very well yet.

>P4K/Melon/Metacritic
9.2/strong 8/around 89
>>
will this ever be on spotify?
>>
>>64700920
>top 3 songs
Decks Dark
The Numbers
Burn the Witch

>best moment
The Numbers when the strings kick in

>subject matter?
Climate Change and Thom being angry at his ex-wife
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.