[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will St. Vincent be regarded as well as Kate Bush in 10 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: 4336029865_59862abda0.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2820) Image search: [Google]
4336029865_59862abda0.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2820
Will St. Vincent be regarded as well as Kate Bush in 10 years from now?
>>
>>64687810
I love her, but I really don't think so. The only album that really has any eyes on it is her newest one, and it's the least dynamic.
>>
>>64687810
>i don't know who bjork is
>>
>>64687868
But what about Marry Me, Actor, Strange Mercy? These albums were warmly received.
>>
>>64687810
Her music is fun, but no.

Joanna Newsom is the most important female singer/songwriter of this generation.
>>
>>64687898
I know her, but Kate Bush is enough for this comparision.
>>
>>64687934
Better than Annie Clark? I doubt it. Let's not mention her voice too.
>>
>>64687901
Not in the wide lens this last one has been though, and honestly, I rarely ever hear anyone bring up Marry Me, which is upsetting, probably my favorite. Strange Mercy is perfect too, but you need to be in the mood for that one.
>>
>>64688005
>Strange Mercy is perfect too, but you need to be in the mood for that one.
That's right. But I think I can play Actor and S/T anytime.
>>
Kate Bush was a mainstream artist that transitioned into making more experimental things. St. Vincent, while popular, has never been as mainstream as Kate Bush started as. Same thing with Bjork.

Also I like her a lot but I don't think she's is or is going to be as influential as those two were. I'd love to be wrong though and have her drop an album at some point that people will point to in 20 years as a game changer.

She's recording her new album right now too. Sounwave posted a short video (without sound) of her playing guitar in the studio.

>>64687934
Also I think Newsom is overrated in general. If you like her, fine, but I don't think she's influential in any way.
>>
>>64687934
Like it or not it's definitely Beyoncé
>>
>>64688051
Actor is probably her most accessible, love it to death, just doesn't grab me like the others. S/T is great too, but not nearly as good as the rest...
>>
>>64688066
>Also I like her a lot but I don't think she's is or is going to be as influential as those two were.
I don't know, maybe her guitar playing style? Her strange mashing of different genres? Her songwriting style?
>>
>>64688212
She's a fucking phenom on the guitar, but I don't think she's pushed far enough yet to be remembered on par with Bush.
>>
>>64688328
She still has plenty of time to prove her skills even more. Her next album could be her biggest masterpiece.
>>
>>64687969
Subjectivity exists. Besides, Newsom's music is far more ambitious than anything St Vincent has done regardless of whether you enjoy her music or not. Kate Bush's experimentation on albums like Hounds of Love and The Dreaming is why she is remembered, and I can't see St. Vincent's blend of garage rock riffs layered onto pop songs standing out quite the same way.
>>64688066
An artist doesn't have to be influential to be highly regarded by critics. While people will still enjoy St Vincent's music, Newsom's is ambitious and experimental enough to truly stand out more to critics in ten years' time.
>>64688089
People aren't going to remember Beyonce the same way they remember Kate Bush, Bjork, or Newsom. I'd bet on that.
>>
>>64688404
>An artist doesn't have to be influential to be highly regarded by critics
I thought we were talking about being influential though.
>>
>>64688328
I always see people saying she's amazing at guitar and others saying she's shit. I don't know enough about playing guitar to say either way but do you have any examples from her songs of things that you'd need to be a good guitarist to do? Only similar thing I've seen people say is that in Cruel there's an odd chord progression, though that's not really related to being good at guitar.

Also do you know if any of her songs are in something other than 4/4?
>>
>>64688382
I have a feeling it might be as well, not even based on my undying love, she's doing interesting things, and now that she's made S/T, saying that it was the most like her, she will be even more comfortable to experiment and hone on the next one. I really want her to go a little harder, like a half Grot, I think she could do that really well.
>>
Fuvk no
>>
>>64688884
I don't know enough to be specific either. I would say Strange Mercy, Huey Newton, Cruel is a good one, Your Lips Are Red, Surgeon just off the top of my head. Her EP pre St. Vincent was excellent too, not as dynamic of course.

As for time signatures, I would think so, but I couldn't pick it out without listening.
>>
>>64687810
Fuck no.
>>
>>64688404
But to me Newsom's music is just some freaky folk, nothing innovative. It has been done before many times. Why do you see so ambitious about it?
>>
>>64690417
I think people are mainly talking about the complex arrangements that she uses. Which might be ambitious but it's hardly innovative or influential.

Also am I the only one that finds it annoying that any thread about a female musician has someone that brings up Newsom.
>>
>>64691268
Ok, maybe the arrangements are great. But the sonic quality of her music is pretty bland. Not enough variety and experimentation. Maybe I'm missing something...
>>
>>64688404
>People aren't going to remember Beyonce the same way they remember Kate Bush, Bjork, or Newsom. I'd bet on that.
Probably you're wrong. And I don't even like Beyonce.
>>
Where do I start with St. Vincent?
>>
>>64691591
She only has 4 albums. Just start from the beginning.
>>
>>64688102
Actor is probably her best
>>
File: 1452701677056.png (1 MB, 2100x2800) Image search: [Google]
1452701677056.png
1 MB, 2100x2800
>>64691591
>>
>>64691760
Most likely. It's also a compact, filler free album. It's just 39 minutes long.
>>
>>64691764
thanks bro
>>
>>64688066
>Bjork
>never mainstream
I'm old enough to remember when Debut came out and it was in every magazine and all the vĂ­deos got heavy rotation on MTV. Post was even bigger, "its oh so quiet" even got to be on tv comercials and shit.
Remember seeing girls and fags wearing the BTS hairdo in every fucking club and mainstream artists copying her antics
Bjork was HUGE in the 90s senpai
>>
>>64687810
No, Kate Bush was a trailblazer.
>>
>>64691764
>>64691919
I'm not sure why people think S/T is significantly more poppy than her other stuff.

>>64691959
Reread the post. I said Bjork was similar to Bush in that she started out really mainstream but got more experimental.
>>
>>64691919
You're welcome. I did that chart.

>>64692032
>I'm not sure why people think S/T is significantly more poppy than her other stuff.
It has more obvious melodies and it's plain catchier. Her other albums have quite many slower songs that may take more time to like them.
>>
File: 1459707887205.gif (1 MB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1459707887205.gif
1 MB, 800x533
>>64688404
>People aren't going to remember Beyonce the same way they remember Kate Bush, Bjork, or Newsom. I'd bet on that.

beyonce is the most popular and well regarded musician alive right now you clod
>>
>>64692453
This is what Beyhive actually believe lmaooo
>>
>>64692523

i dont even particularly like her music but you have to be some sort of invalid if you cant see how absurdly popular she is and how that popularity cuts across so many cultural lines
>>
the only 21st century female musicians (as in, who only started putting out albums in the 21st century) who'll be remembered in anything close to Kate Bush like capacity are Joanna Newsom and maybe MIA
>>
>>64692523
>>64692729

also just in case you felt inclined to make some dopey "durr popular doesnt mean good durr durr" argument i WILL smite you if you even think of implying that beyonce doesnt have the pipes of a robot angel
>>
>>64692813
Joanna Newsom is NOT that popular. Kate Bush was and it's known worldwide. Newsom is more of a niche artist.
>>
It was funny how she said she had only gotten into Kate Bush like five months ago in 2007 and then in 2014 she made up this whole detailed story about how she got into Kate Bush when she was sixteen and it changed her life.
>>
>>64693146
A good singing voice doesn't have any bearing on good art or creativity. Beyonce has a great voice but has no creativity.
>>
>>64692813
>>64693188
If Facebook followers are a measure of popularity:
>Joanna Newsom 125K followers(but she doesn't have an official page)
>St. Vincent 457K followers
>Kate Bush 611K followers
>Grimes 905K followers
>M.I.A. 1.2 mil. followers
>Beyonce over 64 mil. likes
>>
>>64687934
>Joanna Newsom is the most important female singer/songwriter of this generation.
I really hope this isn't true. I've lately been realizing how little substance there really is in her work, which is why she does unnecessary things like altering her voice. She's like a less dynamic but, for some reason, more successful Josephine Foster.
>>
>>64692453
Kek, typical murrican
Last time I heard a Beyonce song on the radio it was the song from charlies angels soundtrack
Same goes for kanye who I never heard a single song in my life

The rest of the world doesnt care about negro music.
Having said that, Bjork is the closest contender for Kate Bush
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.