[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you take your music career seriously /mu/? Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
Why don't you take your music career seriously /mu/? Do you play shows? Have any videos out? Do your market yourself?
>>
Why?
>>
But i do anon. Yes, yes, and yes. But it's never enough, and it feels like i give it way more than it gives me back. I could be as talented as my heroes and i still wouldn't be able to make a living off of it in 2016
>>
I'm afraid of putting my music out in the wild.
>>
>>64679156
thats actually not that bad of a mentality to have. Obv you feel like it needs more work. You should do that. Once its out, its out.
>>
Me and my roommates had a band. I was, and still am, an incredibly untalented bassist, and was carried only by the talents of my bandmates. We played a few shows in our hometown, and were starting to get some really solid bookings thanks to our drummer's connections in the scene, but right about then is when my roommates both suddenly moved out of state, scuttling the whole thing. Don't want to turn this into a blog post, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I can do it, literally anybody can, so just make music you make with people you like and somebody else out there will dig it.
>>
>>64679301

>but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I can do it, literally anybody can

No you're not. All you've done here is affirm the need for connections in the music scene as being so incredibly important that they can literally carry the untalented.

I don't even play music so I'm not some triggered guy who is having trouble with any of this, I just though I'd tell you that this was indeed and blog post and it basically conveyed the complete opposite message of what you'd hoped.
>>
eurofriend here, i tried expanding the electronic music scene of my country beyond EDM and trance and failed miserably after a predictably low turnout to a warehouse party, i won't be a whiny bitch about it though, life's what you make of it and frankly my little cultural revolution was a great learning experience in all of its' magnificent failure.
>>
>>64679376
Where are you from?
>>
>>64679043
no money in music period now. Unless you get lucky in the industry feels like you'll fit their niche good luck!
I do free jazz/ and improv electronic shit weekly at my university and sometimes at other people's house
but nah rather just make money painting and studying for my degree. Know lots of bands who tour heavily and still barely make much more than my sister who works as a bagger at publix
>>
>>64679043
Because I started too late to be able to do what I want.
>>
I want to but I'm homeless right now.
>>
>>64679043
I haven't been able to play at all since I dropped out of conservatory in 2013.

I want to play again but I can't seem to get started.
>>
>>64682073
what instrument do play?
>>
>>64682127
Now nothing, but I used to play double bass, bayan, piano.
>>
>>64681566
[spoiler] bosniastan [/spoiler]
>>
>>64679043
yes to all. though i'm work of a sidemen, so marketing myself is pretty much just connecting to the right people.
>>
>>64682251
>i'm work
i'm more* Sideman*
>>
I'm a drummer but I work full-time in a digital marketing agency so I don't have much time for playin music

I play weddings every few months tho so that's cool, plus that extra cash is real nice
>>
>>64679043
I'm a tuba player, outside of orchestras and the odd jazz band my choice of performances is quite limited.
>>
ive recently started a death metal band with a friend from college who i jam with alot, our other guitarist has connections on the local scene to get us gigs.
>in short:
>you need connections if you want to even get started
>>
>>64682400
>>you need connections if you want to even get started
That's true but there are also some other points about that.

If you are actually good, people notice you and you'll get connections!
So if you're an instrumentalist mainly all you need is to pretty much have the right mindset and practice a lot. But the more important thing is to really understand music, be versatile, and knowing what you should play to make the music sound better and not only yourself. Just getting rid of your ego to a certain level really helps. Also, when you play try listening to the music from an outsider point of view and try to see the bigger picture to hear if what you do donesn't just suck..

But if you're a songwriter then you pretty much have it or you don't. I suggest anyone here who's also a songwriter trying to make it to not be lazy and start practicing. Worst case scenario your songs/projects won't be good enough to make money but you'll be good enough to play for studio sessions and with other already somewhat successful bands/artists in general and that's a lot of money. It's mostly easier for drummers and bassists though because it's rare to find a really good drummer or a really good bassist.

I guess a lot of people have it hard on the start especially if they don't know anybody. If that's the scenario then I don't know what someone can do. I guess you can meet people by going to shows and stuff but idk how much that helps. I guess it's once again with the being good part but also having balls really helps. Jaco Pastorius for example didn't know anyone when he was in NY, and he just came to Joe Zawinul's house and said "I'm the best bassist in the world, can I come in?" so he let him in and saw that he's actually the best bassist in the world. So that's one way to make connection. But honestly, all in all, it's just a matter of being good and talented to REALLY succeed. Because those are the things that gets you connections.

/blog post off
>>
>>64679043
because I'm completely talentless so there's no point in even trying
>>
Because I don't want to be a DJ.
I do play sets on radio and for clubs, but that's just something so I can live music for a while.
>>
>>64682219
That's cool.
Why did you drop?
>>
>>64682879
Honestly I don't really know

One day I just couldn't get out of bed anymore, and then it evolved so that I felt sick every time I touched my instrument, then I couldn't listen to music at all.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.