[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So... Swans. Everyone's telling me different things from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
So... Swans.

Everyone's telling me different things from where to start.

I hear The Seer, To Be Kind, Children of God and Soundtracks from the blind, so I have no idea how to get into Swans. Which do you prefer?
>>
Soundtracks for the blind first, then to be kind, then the seer.
>>
>>64678685
Go chronologically starting with . Don't start with Soundtracks
>>
>>64678756
Starting with Filth*
I swear to god I typed that correctly the first time
>>
I think the entry level cuts would be:
The Great Annihilator, Children of God and My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to The Sky and Filth
>>
>>64678756
>>64678766
these. end with Soundtracks for the Blind
Go in this order.
Filth > To Be Kind > White Light from the Mouth of Infinity > The Seer > The Great Annihilator > Soundtracks
>>
>>64678849
Thanks, I'll check them out.
>>
File: 1462644231914.png (232 KB, 500x644) Image search: [Google]
1462644231914.png
232 KB, 500x644
I see no reason not to start at soundtracks for the blind. Their early works are very simple in emotions and musicality. I feel tool does a better job at expressing more human and complex emotions than swans in its earliest forms. On top of that the music is generally better with tool unless you like the repetition of swans.

Soundtracks has the advantage of combining many elements such as drone and sound collage and voice samples to create a more interesting experience than many other swans works. I'd say it's gira's only great work.
>>
>>64678717
"no"

>>64678756
This

>>64678849
Bad idea. Jumping around like that will only confuse you.

Going chronologically all the way is the best way to appreciate their work.
>>
Whats the appeal of Wight light? I love SFTB dearly, I get and am able to experience first albums + annihilater fully, but even with the 10th listen to white light it didn't grow on me.
>>
>>64679333
It and Love of Life are two of the most accomplished and landmark albums in the Post-punk genre. Specifically the proto-post-rock undertones and how difficult to classify it is.
>>
http://swans.pair.com/PRESS/int_sec.html
Read this interview and listen to Drainland before Soundtracks/Swans is Dead
>>
>>64679400
as in after you have heard the others in chronological order, if it waan't clear
>>
File: T1nYeZe.jpg (727 KB, 2437x1448) Image search: [Google]
T1nYeZe.jpg
727 KB, 2437x1448
>>64678685
>>
does anyone have that winnie the pooh comic edit with 'put your knife in me'
>>
Best universal entry is the seer, just go soundtracks if you want the best
>>
>>64678756
this very much
>>
>>64679935
And this is how you scare someone away from Swans
>>
START WITH FILTH AND LISTEN CHROBOLOGICALLY
IF YOU HATE FILTH SKIP TO SOUNDTRACKS AND THEN LISTEN TO ALL THEIR POST-REFORM STUFF IN ORDER
>>
>>64679618
Post-rock and no-wave/noise Swans are A+ 10/10 godtier. I cannot stand anything from post-punk/gothic era though.
Does anyone have a Swans 'era' they hate?
>>
>>64679618
This chart's good. Swans have sounded completely different at several different points in their run. Soundtracks for the Blind really stands on its own, with its closest peers being more cousins than peers (their post-Soundtracks stuff). Filth and Cop are both pounding, furious noise. The Burning World is legitimately tender.

Basically there's three camps of Swans, although there's considerable wiggling-out of their respective categories in certain songs, and overlap between camps at times.

There's slow, furious, noisy Swans (Filth, Cop, Public Castration), post-punk gothy Swans (most stuff with Jarboe), and then experimental post-rock Swans (post-Great Annihilator)
>>
>>64680064
Same.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.