[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/IDM/ - IDM General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: a0778516613_10.jpg (124 KB, 1200x1189) Image search: [Google]
a0778516613_10.jpg
124 KB, 1200x1189
/IDM/ is for:
>Discussion of IDM albums, songs, and artists, from well-known to unknown
>Posting of IDM that you find remarkable in some way via Youtube, Soundcloud, or Bandcamp
>Discovering new IDM

/IDM/ is not for:
>Pointless arguments about the meaning of IDM

If you are confused about IDM, want to get into the genre, or don't know who the "big 4" are please see these artists:

>Aphex Twin
>Autechre
>Boards of Canada
>Squarepusher
>>
What is the best Autechre record in your opinion?
>>
Wooo great thread guys

>>64672729
Untilted, but LP5 is a close second
>>
These two tracks from this album are the most emotional IDM tracks I've heard (which isn't saying much considering how much IDM I've heard). Anything similar/thoughts?
https://vaginialudwigia.bandcamp.com/track/dramatic-uc-orientation
https://vaginialudwigia.bandcamp.com/track/your-heart-explodes-in-a-world-of-silver-where-everything-still-sparkles
>>
File: auteggggguide.png (2 MB, 1525x1557) Image search: [Google]
auteggggguide.png
2 MB, 1525x1557
>>
>>64672483
Are there any other albums like Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett where it's IDM combined with a jazzy, orchestral sound?
>>
Anyone got any IDM recs that aren't the usual Warp dudes?
>>
Squarepusher doesn't deserve to be named among the others t b h
>>
> /IDM/ is not for: Pointless arguments about the meaning of IDM

> doesn't even mention wtf IDM means

What the fuck is it then? Incredible Dumbshit Music?

I thought Aphex Twin was Drum&Bass and ambient/drone music, but HEY, take the fucking bycicle.
>>
>>64673343
This is wrong in a few spots.

>Pleb
Tri Repetae
Amber
Quaristice
LP5

>Contrarion
Exai
Draft 7.30
Incunabula
Confield

>Patrician
Chiastic Slide
Untilted
Oversteps

It's not like they have any bad albums though.

>>64673437
I agree. I'd rather put VSnares or even u-ziq in his place.
>>
>>64673544
Intelligent Dance Music, is the name of the genre. It doesn't really describe what IDM actually is very well, but that's what has become the name of the genre. Also, google is really fucking hard apparently.
>>
>>64673544
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_dance_music
>>
>>64673544
Experimental beat oriented electronic music fucktard
>>
>>64673437
>>64673563
>I agree.

you are thinking of BoC. Squarepusher is great. BoC is boring downtempo drek

muh analog

grow up
>>
>>64673633
>muh analog
grow up
>>
>>64673544
IDM stands for Intelligent Dance Music. It sounds very pretentious because it is. Before, the subject of the thread would be "/IDM/ - Intelligent Dance Music General" but people just kept arguing about what it should be called. So I made it a but more ambiguous.

I don't care what it's called, I just like the music.
>>
>>64673633
I agree with this too. Ideally, for me, it's

>Autechre
>Aphex Twin
>Venetian Snares
>The Orb

But I can't really change popular opinion on my own.
>>
>>64673665
you must have never been around vapid BoC fans before. Fucking gushing over that shit like gay babies.
>>
>>64673739
Don't lower the Orb with inclusion next to these wankers
>>
File: a0958999482_10.jpg (87 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
a0958999482_10.jpg
87 KB, 800x800
Thoughts on Gridlock? Pick related is my favorite IDM album.
>>
>>64673759
lol...

>>64673764
yeah, they're ace. like trace a lot as well
>>
>>64673378
Anyone?
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 225x225
Is this his best work? I think it's by far his most consistent despite it being so long. It's just cool track after cool track, and doesn't really have any shitters the way his others do.
>>
>>64673968
Murcof is one of my favorites. Not jazzy/breakcore/idm but surt of minimal/classical/idm.
>>
clark is one of the best m8s
>>
>>64674200
sure, if u mean this clark :^)
>>
>>64674221
i forgot the link lol :^(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtM-9K1BOAc
>>
>>64673968

Ugghh, well to be honest, it's hard for the answer not to be a stretch. As of breakcore/drill and bass related projects, you should probably listen to VSnares Moonglow/This Bitter Earth if you haven't already, it's quite probably his best in that sense. Otherwise, Clonepa is quite the copycat, and dwelves heavily into classical orchestra, which has its merits. I could go on
but I would really recommend simply going with Amon Tobin if you want a satisfying listen between IDM and jazz.
>>
Ae releases and album on average about every 2-3 years. If they don't release something before December, call the police.
>>
>>64676242
an*
>>
>>64674247
This is good
Shame the release is $70+ on discogs
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.