[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys find new and obscure music? I use The Quietus,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: the_quietus.jpg?1456401300.jpg (9 KB, 244x70) Image search: [Google]
the_quietus.jpg?1456401300.jpg
9 KB, 244x70
How do you guys find new and obscure music?
I use The Quietus, TinyMixTapes and RYM mostly.
All three are super pretentious, but they do dig up some good music at times.
>>
>>64664741
>All three are super pretentious

lol
>>
>>64664753
Am I wrong?
>>
>>64664741
>Quietus
>new
>obscure
i've never used the 'are you 12' b8 before, but are you 12?
>>
>>64664741
Online forums, mostly 4chan.org/reddit and reddit.com/r/mu

Review sites, especially Consequence of Sound, Stereogum, and AV Club

And RYM friends/charts/random searches

All of my IRL friends have terrible taste so I have to rely on the internet.
>>
albumoftheyear.org, only listening to albums that have been reviewed over a certain number of times

or you can use the discover page
http://www.albumoftheyear.org/discover/
>>
>>64664741
>pretentious
please be bait
>>
>>64665450
Sometimes when you incubate yourself in this circle-jerk kind of environment you forget what obscure really means. Go ask anybody on the street if they've heard of "A Comet Is Coming" or "Ital Tek" or "Guido Möbius". Also, yes, new. The Quietus reviews new releases. I'm not talking about finding a bandcamp or soundcloud user with a total listen of two people, I'm just looking for new releases that aren't necessarily Radiohead-tier well known. Now, if you're done being a memester, could you then give me your oh-so-holier-than-mine sources for music?
>>
>>64665777
Maybe not the Quietus, but have you read some of TinyMixTapes reviews?

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/space-camp-1991-space-camp-1991
http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/elysia-crampton-american-drift

Also RYM is almost as toxic and up their asses as this place.
>>
is /mu/ even a good place to find new good music in
>current year
>>
>>64665454
>Consequence of Sound, Sterogum, and AV Club
I've heard of all of these, but never really checked them out. Thanks!

>>64665493
>Albumoftheyear.org
Oh, this looks pretty cool. Thanks!

>>64666167
Well... it's a good place to discuss Radiohead and Death Grips I guess.
>>
anti-gravity bunny is my favorite

I follow quietus and tmt of course.

Pitchfork, as obnoxious as they, do often find interesting experimental music.
>>
>>64664741
I like the quietus but I wish they did scores, or at least editors picks. It's not worth my time to read every review. I just want to know what they think is good and check for myself. I really like their year end lists though.
>>
singles jukebox, collapse board, youtube, christgau-appreciating facebook group, /mu/ occasionally - tho im mostly here for the laughs.
>>
i actually follow individual reviewers that i know i like. following publications is generally a bad idea.

lee adcock, jason gubbels, greg tate, scott creney, everett true, @noz, xgau, maura johnston, jon solomon.

mixcloud is an excellent resource

also: the radio! i get drexel and princeton where im at, both have a couple great shows
>>
the quietus is alright but they often come off as snarky old hipsters
>>
>>64664741
awesome tapes from africa
>>
>Ital Tek
>obscure
>>
I just can't take this music anymore. I've tried it all. I've been to reddit. I've been to /mu/. Heck, I've even browsed some other chans looking for the most obscure sounds in the darkest areas of the internet, but it just doesn't work anymore. Everything I listen to has morphed into the same few sounds, repeated over and over, after listening to literally years worth of music. I can tell by a few seconds into the first track is an album will be decent or not, and let me tell you, none of them are anymore.

I've started looking for new sounds in public. On the subway I'll close my eyes and try to hear a new screech of the track but now all that's happened is I've memorized the sounds of every bend of the tracks. I have so many free sound syllabytes floating around my mind that I have to fuse the sounds around me with the ones playing inside to get my obscure music fix. It's not pretty what I have to do to get to this, but it's all worth it in the end. I try to create some of my own music in public by making small shuffles of my feet or little moans to mimic the patterns of the great composers I've listened to, but no one around me appreciates it like I can. They haven't listened to it all yet, but my journey is just beginning.
>>
File: allmusic.png (753 KB, 1182x887) Image search: [Google]
allmusic.png
753 KB, 1182x887
allmusic has a "similar albums" tab for just about every album they have listed, listing 48 albums each time. Pretty much the only reason I don't bother registering for RYM. I also get recs from that guy who posts Majora every now and again.
>>
>>64668635
Buy an eight track machine, an XLR, and a mic, some tapes, and start making your own music.
>>
File: front.png (4 MB, 1493x1493) Image search: [Google]
front.png
4 MB, 1493x1493
RYM and it's custom charts function. Also related artists.

Now I'm downloading entire discogs (albums, maybe some EPs if they're interesting) since the ratings are always absolute bullshit (but if there's enough of them and they're good the record itself might be good).

Due to it being a categorization site you are bound to find stuff that isn't entry-level (a.k.a. the top 1000 albums of all time, which is by the way basically the best way to get an introductory to modern music).

I fucking love it when 4chan tells me I mistyped the CAPTCHA even though it's not typed.
>>
>>64664741
>actively trying to find obscure music
The very definition of hipster.
>>
>>64668861
Why is hipster an insult?
>>
>>64668861
>Just listening to whatever everyone else listens to
The very definition of a pleb.
>>
>>64665376
you don't even know what pretentious means, lad
>>
>>64668928
pretentious
[pri-ten-shuh s]

2. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

I think this describes them very well.
>>
>>64668895
because it denotes a person who constructs an artificial personality conforming to certain stereotypes (pseudo-intellectual, poorly dressed, naive, etc.), in an ironic effort to stand out
>>
>>64664741
Tiny mixtapes was the only website that described perfectly "Currents" by tame impala.
>>
>>64664741
>All three are super pretentious
Kys faggot that's not even the correct usage of pretentious
>>
>>64669004
But is trying to find obscure music (mostly because you seek innovation, and have heard the really big albums already) such a hipster thing to do? To me that's just being very much into a certain form of media, as long as you're not going out of your way to rub your tastes in other people's faces and respect that some people are not as much into that type of media as you are.

>>64669064
>Complains about the usage of the word "pretentious"
>Is a tripfag
The irony
>>
>>64664741
Pretty much the same + ProgArchives. The website looks shit and is not as intuitive to navigate as RYM, but the forums can be decent and there is a fairly big database of artists in prog and prog-related genres.

I'll also look up who my favourite artists have name-dropped in interviews, and anyone they've released on vanity labels. Watching Mars Volta interviews got me into Jaga Jazzist and Brainiac.
>>
>>64669136
Describing the music you're looking for as obscure implies your primary criteria is obscurity. If you want something new or innovative, why not just say you're looking for new or innovative music?
>>
finding 'obscure' music for its own sake is a silly quest. finding music that you fucking love and need stop whatever it is your doing to hear again is a worthy quest
>>
>>64669530
Semantics, dude. Sure, I can see how you can see it that way, but that's not the way I meant it. It being obscure is really to me just a criteria, because then I'm assured I haven't heard of it. Radiohead's new album coming out could very well be innovative, but everyone and their mom knows Radiohead, so there is nothing to discover. By obscure I just really mean "something I haven't heard about a billion times and therefore already know it exists". It's fun being turned to an artist that you like and that you didn't know existed.
>>
>>64669756
You literally said you look for obscure music, and then went on to explain you look for obscure music. It's a hipsterish, disingenuous way to approach listening to music. Obscurity shouldn't matter at all if you just care about the music. Yes, it is semantical, because words have meaning and the words you use convey that meaning, whether you intended it or not. Use the right words if you want people to understand you.
>>
I like Gimme Tinnitus and Adhoc.fm a lot, tons of good stuff posted on there. Gimme Tinnitus has an online radio show like twice a week I think, it's always great
>>
>>64670006
Fucking hell, fine. I wrote something in a way that conveyed something I didn't mean to convey, but you still arguing that I'm only in it for the obscurity is silly. Really silly. I didn't mean that obscurity was a requirement so I could swing my e-peen around. I just wanted to know sites and publications that gave the small guys a chance as well as the big album sellers, and you arrogantly specified my misplaced word choice is missing the point of the thread and really only serves to derail the thread so you could show the internet how you destroyed this one guy who had a different approach to music than you.
>>
>>64670308
no you're a faggot who thinks he's funny for calling shit pretentious
use google and fuck off
>>
>>64670308w
Lol oh no what will /mu/ do without one more fucking thread about finding obscure music?

jesus is it summer already?
>>
>>64669530
It's not that the obscurity has value, it's that he doesn't need to look very hard for well-known music. He's not going to enjoy the music because it's obscure, but in order to make sure he's actually hearing an artist he wouldn't have otherwise found out about, he must qualify that he's looking for obscure music.
>>
>>64670370
Wow. you sure rekt me there anon. What a succinct and well-argued point of view. Maybe the true hipsterism comes from trying to dictate what aspects of discovering and listening to music a person should follow. I didn't call it pretentious out of spite or to be funny. As said I follow those sites because they most aptly describe the music and because they're good at digging up small albums and give them some spotlight people may have missed. I personally think they often do it in an ostentatious and show-offy way, so I called them pretentious, which isn't a wrong use of the word by the by. I like finding small obscure artists. Again not because I find it elevate my status on the patrician chart (which it doesn't). I just like the idea that beautiful music can come from anywhere. I can always find and listen to the classics. It's much harder and much more rewarding to discover and pioneer what could be classics or at least favourites down the line.
>>
>>64670624
Pretentious the post good job
>>
>>64670662
Oh, pulling out the meme responses already? And here I expected more of a fight really.
>>
I really just started this thread so people could spread some word around and maybe we could use this to find some hidden gems, but that's apparently not happening. I do thank the people who shared. I will be looking at it.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.