[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /mu/'s opinion on Interpol? Always loved TOTBL,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 59424c77.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
59424c77.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
What is /mu/'s opinion on Interpol?
Always loved TOTBL, but just recently got into Antics.
>>
TOTBL is easily one of the best indie rock albums of the 2000s. I haven't listened to any of their other albums though.
>>
back in the high school & uni i liked TOTBL very much, bet eventually grown out of them
>>
only ever listened to TOTBL, and loved it. have to get around to listening to their other albums
>>
OP Here, You guys need to listen to Antics, some easily good basslines, that i have much joy learning.
Was actually expecting people to criticise the shit out of this group.
>>
TOTBL is my favorite album
>>
>>64663351

antics and everything after is mediocre as all hell
>>
>>64663517
I agree with you on some extent. I always found Antics to sound more complex within the guitar and drum parts, using more pedals and other equipment, but TOTBL always showed more compassion and thats why it always has been better
>>
File: Tyler_j.png (147 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
Tyler_j.png
147 KB, 250x350
Probably the worst of critically acclaimed 00s indie rock albums IMO. Tracks like Obstacle 1, PDA, Say Hello to the Angels, and Obstacle 2 are probably the most sterile and nondescript indie rock music I've ever come across desu. The more mellow tracks like Untitled, NYC, Hands Away, and Stella was a Diver are way better but they still lack anything to come back to, as other post-punk bands have done this kind of style much better
>>
>>64663351
The greatest 2000s indie rock album to ever exist. The lyrics aren't the best but what post punk revival band ever had good lyrics? The unique feeling of urban ennui is what sets apart this album from everything else.
>>
>>64663477
This album is almost /mu/core
Not many people openly criticize it besides post punk purists.
>>
essential early 2000s indie rock and feels-core
>>
wait, when you like an album by someone you dont listen to their entire discography?

pretty disappointed in /mu/ and how plen they are
>>
>>64663607
I see where you're coming from. Although I personally like it, I can see why it is not hailed too much because it is in some sense neither avant-garde or groundbreaking nor extremely original or fresh.

It's still good though.

Of the critically acclaimed 00s indie rock, name something that you consider great? (the strokes aren't allowed because they too in some sense are generic)
>>
>>64666034
but Is This It is much better than TOTBL
>>
>>64666132
Nah. that's debatable. I personally think TOTBL is more consistent.

I'd say both the albums lie pretty close on the spectrum of 00s indie rock.

Tell me something radically better.
>>
Big fan of TOTBL and Antics but couldnt really get into anything past that
>>
One of my top 5 favorite albums but everything else Interpol have done is decent to meh
>>
File: Tyler_and_his_trusty_ukelele.jpg (31 KB, 400x549) Image search: [Google]
Tyler_and_his_trusty_ukelele.jpg
31 KB, 400x549
>>64666034
Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People
Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
The Dismemberment Plan - Change
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Honestly, Is This It is probably just as bad if not worse than TOTBL.
>>
>>64666348
>Honestly, Is This It is probably just as bad if not worse than TOTBL.

I agree.

Thanks for the list do. will check them out and I hope your taste isn't shit. (Considering that I see funeral on the list I'm a bit hopeful even though funeral was good but not exactly great or amazingly different or fresh).
>>
>>64666348
Good list, but fuck you for not liking TOTBL

Oh, and Is This It is a piece of shit
>>
File: 231x3001.jpg (23 KB, 231x300) Image search: [Google]
231x3001.jpg
23 KB, 231x300
>>64663351
>"indie" rock
>>
>>64666348
Most of those albums are just pretentious "experimental" bullshit

especially Fiery Furnaces

And Arcade Fire? pfft..
>>
>>64666485
>>64666439
>>64666348
what's with all the shit taste
>>
>>64666511
>I don't get it, so it's bullshit
We know anon
>>
File: 1457185350911.gif (3 MB, 480x264) Image search: [Google]
1457185350911.gif
3 MB, 480x264
>>64666554
No, I get it so don't give your hipster bullshit you pseudo intellectual piece of shit.
>>
>>64666511
>Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People
>Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
>The Dismemberment Plan - Change
>Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
>Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
>pretentious "experimental" bullshit

None of these are even even remotely pretentious, nor all that difficult anon. Try to actually listen to them before namedropping buzz-criticisms.

Not even Blueberry Boat is all that pretentious. It's fun, progressive, and varied indie pop. I don't see anything pretentious about other than its heavy prog rock influence. Not that being "pretentious" is an inherently bad trait to begin with. Pink Floyd were pretentious, The Beatles were pretentious, Radiohead were and are pretentious. Does that take any of the merit out of their actual music? No.
>>
>>64666793
The key word is most, lrn2read

The only ones I like is Broken Social Scene, Unwound, and Yo La Tango.

Blueberry Boat is one of the most dull albums I've listened to. I was actually glad the moment the last track finished playing. I wasn't impressed.
>>
File: Tyler_Joseph_3.jpg (87 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Tyler_Joseph_3.jpg
87 KB, 640x960
>>64666863
>The key word is most, lrn2read

My point still stands. If you describe Sleater-Kinney and The Dismemberment Plan as anything difficult or pretentious then chances are you decided you hated them before you even listened to the first track because that's simply not true.

>Blueberry Boat is one of the most dull albums I've listened to. I was actually glad the moment the last track finished playing. I wasn't impressed.

Again, point stills stands. Blueberry Boat isn't that pretentious at all (and even if it is, calling something pretentious by itself isn't a valid criticism. It's just a little more creative than the average Interpol or Strokes album, which certainly isn't a bad trait

Anyways, I think we should agree to disagree as further arguing won't really be constructive at this rate.
>>
>>64663351
Always loved TOTBL and Antics. Lost interest in the band when Our Love to Admire came out though.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.