[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /mu/ hate this again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 4705290.jpg (31 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
4705290.jpg
31 KB, 600x600
Why does /mu/ hate this again?
>>
>>64655749
Mainstream
>>
>>64655749
Because it's gr8
>>
>>64655749
Why like it? Meme French dance act made a disco album with long burned out founders of the genre. The only redeeming quality of it is the production. Dude vocoder lmao
>>
>>64655773
This. /mu/ is a board about disliking music
>>
File: 1318230383123.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1318230383123.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
there isnt a bad daft punk album

im not even gonna ask you to prove me wrong
>>
>>64655749
mainstream garbage
>>
>>64655831
>t. someone who hasn't listened the album
ayyy lmao
>>
>>64655831
None of that is an actual criticism though.
>>
>>64656266
There's not a Daft Punk album below an 8/10. It would 9/10 but HAA
>>
>>64656273
>mainstream garbage
>actually saying that
>in 2016
>>
>>64655749
Pretty cheesy to be honest. Still pleasant to hear. 6/10
>>
>>64656266
REM is the only album of theirs that doesn't have derivative and bland lyrics/themes. Listening to this album actually makes me feel something other than the urge to dance. Really their only good album
>>
After a long hiatus, Daft Punk returned with Random Access Memories (Daft Life, 2013), a collection of incredibly trivial melodies and beats, the ultimate late-night lounge muzak for a drunk melancholic audience, virtually the antithesis of everything they had done before in the field of electronic dance music. The album is a tribute of sorts to the 1970s, and it includes some of the commercial heroes of that decade (we even get a Giorgio Moroder lecture in the middle of the jazzy and neoclassical jam Giorgio By Moroder), but it is all sterilized and glacially un-emotional. The lightweight disco-era funk of Give Life Back To Music, Get Lucky and Lose Yourself To Dance (that imitate the likes of Chic, which were not exactly Beethoven) betray a colossal dearth of imagination. We don't even get good musicianship, let alone good ideas. There is about one minute in Touch of charleston-like beat with a jovial trumpet: that's as much fun as one gets. These are not laid-back ballads: these are lifeless songs drenched in nostalgia. In the 1970s it was hard to imagine anything more devoid of meaning that a ballad by Hall & Oates or Steely Dan: give it a nostalgic, extremely slow, interpretation and, voila, even the worst of the worst can get worse. The robotic vocals are generally an even worse affront, but Julian Casablancas of the Strokes manages to make them sound human in Instant Crush. Shame on Panda Bear for lending his voice to yet another robotic song, Doin' It Right. A better album would have consisted of the prog-rock instrumentals Motherboard and Contact, which are instead left half-baked.
>>
>>64655831
Nile Rodgers sounds fresh when he pops up on this thing, hardly burned out.
>>
>>64655831
French here.
He's right
>>
>>64656266
there isnt a good daft punk album

im not even gonna ask you to prove me wrong
>>
>>64656820
Nile Rodgers sounds alright, I won't say he sounds "fresh".

The problem with the album in terms of substance it's simply not that good. It's one of those albums which have million dollar sound, but the songs themselves are so-so at best. For example, Get Lucky would be lost in the '70s or '80s. But big money was poured into the song, and so it got Daft Punk their Grammy.

Also, the whole "tribute to disco" thing is cute and all, but it was 2013, Franz Ferdinand have come and gone, the whole nu-disco scene faded away long ago. And yet Daft Punk, like they always did, presented their disco like 8th wonder of the world, like Jean Michel Jarre presented his classic inspired electronics. Giorgio Moroder gives a fucking speech on the record—is that a fucking joke?

Ultimately, as everything by Daft Punk, this record is naive and silly, like Kiss screaming "who wants some rock and roll tonight?!". Behind the glossy production and invited seasoned veterans of disco, there's this kind of emptiness that extends to everything the French duo creates, making you ask if what you just heard is actually art or just some guys copying the music of the past with Fruity Loops.
>>
>>64656878
This. Back when I was young and didn't know any better, I bought into p4k meme and listened to their "best of 2000s" list. The fact that they put Daft Punk so high up is one of the hundreds of reasons why I stopped taking them seriously
>>
>>64655749

That Shit < Tomorrow's Harvest
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.