[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /mu/ hate Phish but praise Can and This Heat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: phish.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
phish.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
Why does /mu/ hate Phish but praise Can and This Heat?
>>
>Band isn't /mu/core
>"/mu/ doesn’t like it boo-hoo"
>>
I love phish
>inb4 DUDE WEED
>>
phish is great
>>
Phish are narcs.
>>
>>64655186
What? Phish is fantastic.

I've been listening to the Island Tour shows the past couple of days.
>>
So are all of their live shows fully improvised or what?
>>
File: 31XLQ9ogCBL.jpg (14 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
31XLQ9ogCBL.jpg
14 KB, 500x500
by the way i highly suggest people listen to both the white tape and colorado '88
their very early work is disappointingly overlooked
>>
>>64655661
What do you mean by fully improvised?
>>
who doesn't like phish?
>>
>>64657103
people without taste
>>
>>64655186
The real question is why do you care about what people on an image board on the Internet think?
>>
>>64655661
they dont just go off if thats what you mean
they have songs they play, but often play with styles/rhythms in those songs and include massive, improvised solo sections
they also dont have a setlist before they get on stage. they just decide what to play in the heat of the moment
>>
>>64657073
that's what can did at their concerts
>>
Phish is horrible. Literally nothing but wankery. Can were capable of crafting songs with a well defined theme, structure, etc. Phish does not write songs. The percussion lays down a repetitive 4/4 beat and everyone else takes turns playing guitar solos. Every single song they have ever played follows this exact same process.
>>
Because /mu/ is afraid of liking something that doesn't scream "I am very smart and cultured". Phish is amazing, but they're too fun for the pretentious hipsters here.
>>
>>64657051
Yeah, the White Tape is beautiful. My favorite Phish output. Aftermath makes me choke up each time. Such a juxtaposition.
>>
Because This Heat and Can were very cool for various reasons, reasons that would take me too long to explain. Can experimented with tribal beats, repetitive song structure, odd collages of tape loops and ambient noise, while also fitting in quirky, sunny pop songs.

Phish, on the other hand, was essentially a bunch of grateful dead worshippers that play improv funk/blues for hours on end with no clear artistic motive. Their songs are flaccid, annoying, and I hate them.
>>
I think Phish are a good time, but how the fuck are they similar to This Heat? I can maybe see the Can comparison, a little at least, but what?
>>
phish are the ween of jam bands
>>
>>64657703
/thread
>>
>>64657767
Is this all you do?
>>
>>64657767
what a useful reply
NOT
>>
>>64657698
thank you so much for loving it also ;_;
>>
>>64657800
thats just proge mon its what he does I guess ://///////////////////////////
>>
i don't like phish but i loved analyze phish
>>
Because one is a shitty jam band while the other two are krautrock and post-punk.
>>
>>64657703
I feel like you heard one Phish track in your life.
>>
>>64655186
>I-got-a-B-minus-in-engineering-school-core
No thanks.
>>
>hating this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wLKbBGlJ0
>>
>>64657960
>listing descriptions of the genres of the artists in question
>still doesn't answer the question
That said this thread is retarded
>>
>>64658115
Aren't you that retarded Cardiacs guy?
>>
Because mu is fully image oriented. They dislike Phish because of the DUDE WEED culture. Phish are amazing.

>>64657464
Have you listened to A Picture of Nectar? Are you the kind of person that thinks jazz is also wankery?
>>
>>64657767
Junta is better than most of the stuff you listen to

>>64657703
>quirky, sunny pop songs.
phish do that too
>>
>>64657464
What is "You Enjoy Myself"?
What is "Guyute"?
What is "The Curtain With"?

Bait harder.
>>
>>64657703
never heard phish the post
>>
i love phish op
trey is still the greatest current living guitarist.
Anyone who disagrees hasnt heard him play
>>
>>64659524
ive heard him play though and think he's a masturbatory fuckboi and that phish is legit one of the worst bands ever
>>
I like Phish and jam bands in general. Love just putting on a 30 minute song or a 3 hour long show. Don't think Phish is my favorite though. Umphrey's McGee and Disco Biscuits are my favorites but Phish is up there too.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.