[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The King Of Limbs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: The King Of Limbs.png (2 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
The King Of Limbs.png
2 MB, 1000x1000
With their new album right around the corner, let's take a moment to talk about Radiohead's 2011 offering, The King Of Limbs.

A rather contentious part of their discography, it seems everyone has strong opinions on it. So /mu/, how do you feel about The King Of Limbs now that it's been 5 years?
>>
Their best album
>>
A colder side of In rainbows. Took me a long time to like it but now i love it
>>
Lotus Flower is the only thing worthy on this album, everything else is below average.
>>
I've never listened to it.
>>
Still mediocre.
>>
It's a fine album. It's totally innocuous in my view, which is why I fucking stagger are the vitriol it got and continues to receive. Bloom, Feral, and GUTG are fantastic on record and live, and magpie was phenomenal live. The rest is simply fine. Album is a pretty good showcase for what happens when a band tries to exist outside the mythology cultivated by critics and fans. I really feel like they just wrote an album of shit they were feeling at the time, and people got extremely upset when those feelings didn't also totally overthrow their musical worlds like it did when they were a teenager.
>>
Maybe their best but definitely my favorite. Hypnotic.. its all about the rhythms, the groove... melodies are not central to the songs like most RH fans would expect, hence the lukewarm reception from the unwashed masses.

If you give TKOL time it will pay you back. From the opening piano loop to the sub-bass in Feral to the nature sounds in Codex to Ed's airy guitar in Separator, the album is unified in purpose: to explore the possibilities of rhythm. Each song starts with a groove and continues with it, with varied instrumentation appearing in complex polyrhythms that all combine to form Radiohead's most unified and cohesive album.
>>
It's too experimental for the plebs
>>
>>64652044
>it seems everyone has strong opinions
not really, I liked it and thought there were a lot of nice, mellow offerings like Give Up The Ghost

I don't love it or hate it though. In Rainbows and OKC are my faves with sprinklings from other all the other albums
>>
I've always really enjoyed this album and never understand why some people who loved everything else in their discography disliked it. All I can put it down to is not living up to the hype people created for it after In Rainbows. Maybe because I wasn't much of a Radiohead fan before listening to it, I didn't have any preconceived ideas about what I was supposed to be listening to. Since having become very familiar with their discography, TKOL isn't my favorite but it's still a very captivating album for me. I guess I just really enjoy whatever musical vibes they were able to capture for this album, because whenever I listen to it I feel like I'm taken into another realm.
>>
Great. I loved this record. Bloom, Morning Mr Magpie, Lotus Flower, Little By Little, Feral, Giving Up the Ghosts are all mind blowing.
>>
File: supercollider.jpg (112 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
supercollider.jpg
112 KB, 500x497
The real question is why the fuck weren't Supercollider The Butcher put on the album?
>>
>>64652439
They don't really fit on the album
>>
>>64652457
They would have fit as fine as my dick fit in your mother's pussy last night. And believe me, her love hole gripped my dick perfectly.
>>
>>64652488
my mom has been dead for two years now
>>
>>64652488
DAE fuck moms?!?!?!?!!!11
>>
i think radiohead have the most fedora album and singles artwork
>>
>>64652528
No wonder she took it like a champ
>>
>>64652555
Define fedora
>>
>>64652555
How the fuck is The King Of Limbs cover fedora tier? Don't spout buzzwords like a meming faggot when you don't even know what they mean
>>
Maybe it's just me because I was sleep deprived a lot of the time when it came out, but I think it provides a great atmosphere. I left my mp3 on while asleep and separator was playing while I was dreaming which was pretty sweet. Doesn't have as many catchy grooves as people might've liked, but I appreciate the experimentation and cohesiveness of it all.
>>
>>64652555
I'm so glad I got to be a teenager before the age of widespread, high-speed internet

>>64652457
I think The Butcher, Staircase, and These Are My Twisted Words would've all worked well.

The Daily Mail was great, but not really the vibe of the record. I honestly think Supercollider is kind of boring.

>>64652044
It's solidly second-tier Radiohead. I think it's a SMIDGE better than HTTT.
>>
I liked the part where every song sounded exactly the same
>>
>>64652670

Not true btw
>>
File: 1297714518320.jpg (287 KB, 1000x904) Image search: [Google]
1297714518320.jpg
287 KB, 1000x904
Does anyone agree that this release had the best artwork of any Radiohead project? I have no idea why they didn't include hardly any of it in the CD packaging.
>>
>>64652703
Fucking gorgeous.
>>
>>64652670
That part doesn't exist. The album feels very cohesive because all the songs follow a certain musical direction, but they're still easily identifiable as individual compositions. In fact the cohesiveness of TKOL makes it one of their strongest works in my opinion. It feels like one large piece of art you have to listen to from start to finish. It's an album that really takes you on a journey, but I can understand how an impatient pleb wouldn't enjoy it.
>>
>>64652772
Radiohead's Niggas on the Moon confirmed.

Nah, but you're right. The whole album is a work that's meant to be digested in its entirety.
>>
>>64652044
Really like it but still disappointed it only has 8 songs. Could have been much stronger if they waited and included The Daily Mail and Supercollider on it.
>>
File: mi8g13SLVR1s1mr5eo6_500.jpg (131 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
mi8g13SLVR1s1mr5eo6_500.jpg
131 KB, 500x600
>>64652721
This one was my favorite.
>>
>>64652813
Supercollider is boring and The Daily Mail doesn't fit in at all.
>>
>>64652826
>Supercollider is boring
You're just wrong though

>The Daily Mail doesn't fit in at all
It's a fucking eclectic album it would have worked great
>>
>>64652822
>babbys first abstract painting
>>
>FUCK RAIDO HEAD
>GREEK RAP IS BETTER

https://soundcloud.com/officialyungmas/panda-remix
>>
This album is so shitty not even rutracker has it.
>>
>>64653117
I bet you think The Bends is their best album
>>
>>64652044
Really amazing. I really can't understand why so many people talk shit about it. It is more grown and unique than anything they did before (or after, the new stuff sounds so poppy and watered-down)
>>
They really overproduced it, to artificially separate it from In Rainbows

Ill take From the Basement over it any day
>>
Because so many shit comments here:

It's objectively their second to worst album after Pablo Honey. Regardless of what your personal opinion is most reviews and general consensus agree on this.

It's a frustrating album. About half of the songs are great. In context, they'd work well in a longer more realized/fleshed out album. Even if they're not the greatest Radiohead tracks, they're at least fully realized songs. These tracks are:

1. Give Up the Ghost
2. Lotus Flower
3.Little By Little
4. Morning Mr. Magpie

The remaining half of the album is just kinda crap. It's a lot of loopy bullshit. Yay get what they were going for but it really doesn't amount to much. Codex is an extremely generic mopey Thom Yorke piano song. Radiohead have so many of those and Codex is easily the worst of them. It's bland, predictable and does nothing new or interesting.

Basically, these tracks all suck:

1. Codex
2. Bloom
3. Separator
4. Feral
>>
I honestly love this album. I love the way the album opens up as you go from track to track. It starts off cold and mechanical and slowly becomes more and more spacious and melodic. As much as I love the daily mail Im glad they didnt Include it. The flow of this album is practically perfect.
>>
>>64653326

Your experiences are not universal
>>
>>64653326
lmao pleb spotted

The problem you have is you want bangers like "Karma Police" to accentuate the album for you. Like other posters have pointed out, TKOL very much works as a whole rather than a collection of songs. It requires more patience from the listener because its the kind of atmospheric, meditative sort of album you really have to feel for. You need to let the rhythms grab hold of you and take you on a journey through a different dimension. Or don't, you're not obligated to like but calling it a weak album is just wrong.
>>
>>64653494

Karma Police is not a banger even remotely. Bodysnatchers is but karma Police is still mopey piano Thom.

Are you a retard? All of the tracks i highlighted are the rhythm based ones besides ghost, which is easily the most "atmospheric."

If you're going to make arguments you could at least be familiar with the songs. Feral might be rhythmic but its repetitive to the point of being useless. It's a 3 minute beat that didn't need to be a song,
>>
>>64652592

To be fair, literally that entire tour for two years Ed Obrien wore this ridiculously ugly fedora every night onstage. Serious. Look up live videos of them from the era.He looks like the fedora dude meme
>>
>>64652208

"Too experimental."

That might work if people were complaining about Kid A, Amneisac, or Hail

This album is just a bunch of loops that go nowhere, a very generic them yorke piano song that we've had before, and a few decent tracks that aren't really anything special but by comparison ar better than the rest of the album (Lotus Flower, Little by Little, Magpie)
>>
>>64652070

It's not a colder side of in rainbows. It's 4 years later than that. It's not even remotely like in rainbows. in any way
>>
remember when we were desperate for part 2 because listening to just this album alone was underwhelming? if you go back and listen to it actually isnt that bad, but some points it does feel kind of cheap or like they didnt try as hard or polish it as much as the other albums. if tkol was an ep nobody would hate it as much. also,

in terms of how it sounds it feels like it wasnt much of a progression or change from in rainbows. since okc radiohead basically altered their sound for each record. hail to the thief in many ways sounds more like the followup that fans wanted from okc, but came after kid a/amnesiac, so it has a different perception as a result of the record that preceeded it. in rainbows was a really good record that incorperated new and old elements, and when tkol came out it was another one of those moments where it felt like it didnt make sense what they were trying to do
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.