[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are you kids hung up on Radiohead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 8
File: old.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
I'm an older guy in his 30's, and it's strange to see teenagers and kids listening to and worshiping a dinosaur act like Radiohead that is past their prime. I have nothing against Radiohead, but it's weird because they are so old and you're so young.

I was in high school in the 90's and we didn't get hyped about Clapton's new shit or Kiss's new shit. Why are you kids on Radiohead's dick? They peaked at OK Computer 20 years ago.

Is this legitimate hype or is this board all shills?
>>
File: 1461721358977.jpg (39 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1461721358977.jpg
39 KB, 657x527
>>64644133
Good music knows no time boundaries :^)

But t b h the new album is going to be shit
>>
>>64644133
Because ️Radiohead is still making relevant and interesting music and by the 90s Clapton was a tribute act of himself.
>>
>>64644210
>Because ️Radiohead is still making relevant and interesting music
nope
>>
>>64644133
>peaked at OK Computer

you have garbage taste
>>
>>64644133
>I'm an older guy in his 30's
so a millennial
>>
>>64644243
Yes. They are. Daydreaming is a very interesting song and if you don't think it is you need to get your fucking ears checked.
️️Radiohead is putting out the best music out of any band that was creating music in the 90s and that is a fact I am willing to stand by.
️Radiohead year after year has refused to let their creativity go to the wayside and like it or not they will be known 50 years from now as one of the most influential and important bands of all time.
>>
>>64644133
Why are you over 30 years old and still using 4chan?
>>
>>64644307
dude shut the fuck up you like oasis
>>
Hasn't Hendrix been worshiped by generations of people who weren't alive or old enough to have seen him perform.
>>
>still making relevant and interesting music

Tame Impala, Arca, or Xiu Xiu are more interesting than Radiohead at this point.
>>
confirmed OP is a sperglord that thinks creep is a good song
>>
>>64644522
Meant for >>64644210
>>
Even Thom Yorke hates Creep.
>>
Since when have I ever liked the dullest rock band of all time?
>>
>>64644462

habits, been here since my mid 20's. You don't just turn 30 and stop going to your favorite websites and sit around doing crossword puzzles
>>
>>64644133
>peaked at OK Computer
Well that's your problem. They've changed style since then. You're just hung up at OK Computer and previous because muh nostalgia.

Amnesiac is best album btw
>>
>>64644829
Isn't this the same as RHCP fans who don't accept anything after BSSM as canon? (mostly because they were teenagers when BSSM was out)
>>
>>64644133
>Clapton's new shit or Kiss's new shit.
>KISS
Clapton is a god, but KISS are fucking bottom of the barrel god awful "rock".
>>
>>64644307
U2 owned the 90's
>>
>>64644941
Clapton's sucked longer than 95% of /mu/ has been alive.
>>
>>64644829

It is my opinion that OK Computer was their peak. I'm not anti-their new shit or anything, I never said that.

Most people I talk to would agree it's either OK Computer or Kid A.

Kind of like NIN, most people I talk to think they peaked at either Downward Spiral or The Fragile. I'm in the Downward Spiral camp. And I love everything NIN has put out since. This doesn't mean that I am hung up on the Downward Spiral, it just means I believe that is their peak.

I've had a few drinks and I know I'm rambling. But just because you believe a band has peaked doesn't mean you hate their new shit. I'll download Radiohead's new album and listen to it.
>>
>>64644307
"Daydreaming" isn't interesting. It's just above average IMO. I like it, don't get me wrong, but OP is right. We could really use a fucking youth culture. If you haven't noticed, literally every fucking generation before ours has had one. We're being fucking robbed.
>>
Lots of people consider their peak Kid A and Amnesiac, so you're already missing the target to begin with. They also never had a specific moment where they fell off or jumped the shark. You failed to mention that they've also been the most popular rock band in the world for 20 years. Yeah, I know, you don't hear their stuff on the radio anymore if you live in certain countries. Look at their views/listens on social media, their sales figures. They're still the biggest.
>>
>>64644974
t. 18 year old.
>>
>>64644857
I don't know, but if it's like the people who think Pink Floyd went to shit after Syd left or after Roger left then yes. Also like the people who think Random Access Memories is Daft Punk's worst album.
>>
>>64645000
You'd have to be like 45 to have been alive at all when he was good.
>>
>>64644946
The sheer quantity of quality output they did in the 80s surpasses that of the 90s though.
>>
>>64645037
What's your point? I never understand the notion that because his music may have dropped in quality over time that it's as if you instantly dismiss all of his highly acclaimed works of the past.
>>
>>64644133
You're acting like Radiohead is the only band that transcends it's period. There are kids today who like the Beatles. Shit King Crimson it's a mucore album.

Shit bait.
>>
>>64644980
Right, OKC and KidA were legitimately great. In Rainbows was shocking in its quality, frankly.

I don't think they would even disagree that they've passed their prime. I don't think TKOL or this are even remotely near as good as their early work, and pretending they are is actually a serious insult to how good Radiohead were, how relevant they really are as a group in our lives.

Pretending their new music meets our standards is just pathetic. Other groups like Beck too.. these people stuck around way too long and nobody ever really took their place. That's actually a huge part of what's wrong with our culture right now. It's as though there is literally nobody talented in our generation.

It's fucked up actually. I have no idea what the fuck is going on, other than the fact that the left wing has essentially gotten us all addicted to thinking we don't have to work for anything, and when music suffers, as it has, everyone tells us that it's "SUBJECTIVE!!!!!" while they listen to Beatles and Kraftwerk and ignore virtually 99% of what was released after 2010 and consider it all just "kind of shit" in comparison

But oh, I'm so crazy for noticing that something is fucking wrong

Face it, the youth is supposed to be crazy and wild and making art and music, what the fuck happened? There's literally nothing even remotely interesting happening today in comaprison with RAVE and rock music. Not even remotely close. It's a boring, marketed, shitty landscape we're living in. I literally don't give a fuck about anything happening. It all feels fake and fucking lame.
>>
>>64644133
I like to know why you're still on this board

old man
>>
>>64644133
>is this board all shills?

/v/ truly believes every board here shares their shitty culture?
>>
>>64644997
>most popular rock band in the world for 20 years
They never were, ever, the most popular rock band in the world. ARGUABLY the most critically acclaimed mainstream rock band, but never the most popular.
>>
>>64645135
>people still use strawmans in 2016
Why?
>>
>>64645089
>everything about this post
lmao
>>
What has happened is that the market has become saturated with old artists, who the labels know to be a sure bet, and music has been commodified to the point of being completely meaningless. All those vaporwave artists are interesting because they shit on everything, like spraying diarrhea.

Fucking shitty ass music being released today. So bad. Like, is Beach House even good? I honestly don't think they are. Deerhunter are HORRIBLE.

Radiohead blows both of them the FUCK out of the water. It's not even comparable. Cocteau Twins and MBV vs fucking Beach House. That must be a fuckin' joke. The National vs. REM and The Smiths?

What the FUCK is happening to the music world... seriously. Sooner or later we need to start asking this.

Sorry but music was OBJECTIVELY better before now. PERIOD. Anyone who disagrees is a fucking SJW scumbag fuck and is lying to your fucking face. These things are measurable. Something has gone fucking awry. I literally have no idea what it is.
>>
>>64645135

If you don't think they're the biggest rock band in the world, to this day, then you're the one who's out of touch. You don't really visit internet message boards, do you? Is this the first time you've been to /mu/?
>>
>>64645159
Death Grips >>>>> Cocteau Twins
>>
>>64644974
true lol, and to be fair "If I could change the world" is shit compared to radioheads new song and probably not the best example. A better example would be Aerosmith's 90's shit. We heard it and didn't hate it, but nobody was going nuts about it the way you guys are about radiohead
>>
>>64645159
Tame Impala is gud
>>
>>64645159
I think you're genuinely serious and this is what makes me cringe.
>>
>>64644990
Dude there's huge youth culture right now you're just too pre-jaded to see it. Brooklyn and Philadelphia have been putting out enough music in the last two years alone to dwarf tons of past movements.
>>
I'm not even a Clapton fan by any stretch of the imagination but it amazes me at all the contrarians on this website that just dismiss all of his work as shit. I'm relatively sure at least 50% of this board have never played an instrument or done any musical theory in their life either so I'd never ever trust the opinion of most people on here.
>>
What I don't think OP understands is that we don't need a youth culture. Also if you are looking to /mu/ for youth culture than you are looking in the wrong place. This place listens to a ton of music collectively and does not respond well to youth culture.
>>
music is a career for some people. maybe they genuinely just like making music and just because they set the bar high doesn't mean they can still make more music
>>
>>64645318
That didn't make sense. Please rewrite it.
>>
>>64645240
>tame impala

Old guy op here. Tame Impala is great. It's harder to keep in touch with new shit when you work all the time and nobody parties or hangs out anymore. that's one of the reasons I like this board so I can kinda keep in touch with rock music
>>
>>64645406

Their new album is faux 80s music! It's actually really good if that doesn't immediately turn you off. It's better than the vast majority of the actual cheese-ball 80s music it's copying. Mixing is better, songwriting is better, and it's in better taste while still being a lot of fun.
>>
>>64645406
contrarian's are so toxic
>>
>>64645346
>>64645240
Tame Impala is trash though; just faux 60s-70s blues rock made by Millenial hipster mouth-breathers. Go put on Sticky Fingers if you want that shit. Goddamn, why can't Australia make even one good band?
>>
>>64644133
Very little actually changes. Time goes on and we find new ways to be and do the very same things. The very small spectrum of machinery we've delineated out to call the human species, is in fact, composed of fixed constants. ie, being of finite mind, we're capable of only finite context and therefore our behaviors, underlying drives, and experiences, cluster heavily.

Long way of saying, everything and anything Radiohead thought fit to say or compose, someone, somewhere, will see as relevant or enjoyable. Modest Mouse's 1996 album? Look around. Nothing has changed, but that's not necessarily to say things cannot change.

Ignoring groupthink, historical aspects, social feedback loops, etc. Not worth getting into. I like fake plastic trees, and I like Kid A for the sounds of it and how I mishear the lyrics. Out with the old and in with the new, is delusion.
>>
>>64644133
How does a guy in his 30s get away with calling himself old anyway?
>>
>>64644133
>30s
Fuck off grandpa
>>
>>64645622
>30s is old
>>
>>64644522
>Tame Impala,
Ok kid
>>
>>64645581

I remember when radiohead was new. let's be real 20 year old kids consider me old and that's who I'm talking to
>>
>>64645644
22 here. 30 is not old. Now fucking off yourself, no one cares about your contrarian opinions that were designed to cause arguments exactly like this. You honestly must have nothing better to do with your life.
>>
>>64644133
>Radiohead
>Dinosaur act
>peaked at OK Computer
what the fuck am i hearing?
fuck back off to reddit

I was thoroughly convinced the new radiohead album would be dissapointing until I heard Daydreaming a few times. What a fucking masterful track. Really hoping the rest of the album is as good and not like Burn the Witch.
>>
>>64645557
Tame Impala is fine. The problem is actually you.

Before you move to disagree, look at what you just wrote. Think about why you might say what you said, think what you thought. Think about what you decided to say, and what's ultimately actually relevant to human experience. I'd say you're missing what defines yours.
>>
>>64645675
Burn The Witch was also amazing though.
>>
File: image.png (840 KB, 1029x765) Image search: [Google]
image.png
840 KB, 1029x765
>>64645089
>>
File: 1462547577955.png (424 KB, 389x757) Image search: [Google]
1462547577955.png
424 KB, 389x757
it's because he's wearing that rick owens
>>
>>64645673

33 year old here with literally nothing better to do at 1130 pm on a Friday night than wonder aloud why there are 100 Radiohead threads on this board. You have nothing better to do at 22 years at 1130 friday night than to shit on me, tell me to kill myself etc

>>64645675
I've been on 4chan since before your voice changed. You found 4chan following "dank memes" you saw posted on facebook
>>
It's not like, oh there's a new Radiohead track so now there's 4 Radiohead topics on the front page of /mu/. No, that's not what it's like. There are always 4 Radiohead topics on the front page of /mu/, whether there's a new Radiohead track or not. It's so bad it's become a joke.
>>
>>64645799
>it's 11:30 Friday night everywhere in the world.
It's 1:37PM in Australia here you dumb cunt and I just got home from spending the night out for dinner with a friend after catching up with him.
>>
>>64645799
>I've been on 4chan since before your voice changed
>Being proud of that
Kys
>>
File: edge.png (2 KB, 160x132) Image search: [Google]
edge.png
2 KB, 160x132
>>64645857
>>64645855
>>
>>64645799
>I've been on 4chan since before your voice changed. You found 4chan following "dank memes" you saw posted on facebook

As if this was an insult even if it was true. You sound like a neck-beard degenerate and mods should delete this trash thread.
Thanks for the laugh though, don't forget to put Karma Police on repeat.
>>
>>64645881
How the fuck is spending time with a friend "edgy". At 33 years old you'd think you'd be more mature than that. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with people who never leave their house.

See? I can be childish too.
>>
>>64645857
I honestly find it remarkable at the amount of people that brag about the sheer amount of time and years they've spent online as if that's something to brag about. I've been using 4chan since probably 08/09 but it's not something I'm proud of. I don't really care, but it's not something you specifically brag about.
>>
>>64645896

Did you get the impression that I was a radiohead fanboy? I am the guy wondering why you kids care so much about an old band
>>
>>64645932
You have people talking about The Beatles, King Crimson, Bowie and other artists from the 60s and you think Radiohead is an old band.
>>
>>64645932
I gave you a detailed response above, which naturally, you didn't respond to.

It's hard to maintain a troll thread, I understand. But it's very obnoxious to watch people ask questions that have easy answers while pretending to be an age where they should (and many legitimately don't) have the brains to answer it for themselves.

You're only 30, supposedly. You're still a kid to a lot of people.
>>
>>64645857
this tbqh
nothing good about being an autist who spends all his time on a japanese anime imageboard
>>
>>64645992
>kid
I wouldn't call a 33 year old a kid, but mentally this guy is childish as fuck. Sitting at home fucking arguing with people younger than him online. Even if you're a social outcast this is still pathetic as fuck.
>>
>>64645971

This is a good board for discussing classic albums, but I am as annoyed as anybody who browses this board by "DAE PET SOUNDS?"

This thread is about all the radiohead shit polluting the board. Let's stay focused
>>
>>64645932
>Did you get the impression that I was a radiohead fanboy?
No I just thought it was laughable to claim they peaked at OK Computer, i'm not huge on radiohead either.
>Did you get the impression that I was a radiohead fanboy? I am the guy wondering why you kids care so much about an old band
Radiohead is not that old, you are deluded if you think otherwise, considering how many albums they released in the 2000s.

Also because the internet makes it so easy to discuss and instantly listen to any album, an effect of globalism.
It's the same reason that there are teenagers listening to Pink Floyd.
>>
>>64646046
Threads like that should always be deleted because they've been spoken about to death. This board could do with more generals or even have a music general board separate to this. I have all but quit /mu/ because of the sheer amount of shit posting and bait threads. I could pretty much get away with watching Fantano to discover my music. People on here shit on him because they disagree with his opinions. Hell, even I disagree with him sometimes but he's not the evil person this board make him out to be. He's okay.
>>
>>64645857
Fuck off. Your family probably didn't even have a computer at the time. I've been visiting 4chan since 1997.
>>
>>64646125
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>64645247
nah

just shit
>>
>>64645676
How is Tame Impala fine... they're a fucking DECENT band at best

If that's the best thing you can come up with idk
>>
Its really funny reading the comment section filled with wiggers who love kanye being all " yo this lowkey tight tho"

They dont know how to react to something that isnt some niggerfied top 40 pop music
>>
>>64646125

yep. Really wasn't bragging about how long I was on 4chan. The hormonal teenager told me to go to reddit I told him to get off my lawn
>>
>>64646173
Yeah. They're fine.
>>
Who /hatedkingoflimbsbutthisnewshitisamazing/ here?
>>
>>64646200
Tame Impala vs. The Pixies

I mean... it's like comparing gold to copper
>>
>>64646244
>hating an album
>legitimately HATING an album
Listening to TKOL right now by coincidence. This album is fantastic. Even if you don't "like" it, how can you straight up have so much pent up anger and negativity that you "hate" music?
>>
Tame Impala and Royal Blood are both faux-retro bullshit. What does it tell you when those bands have been endorsed by such youthful, totally non-dadrockers as Gene Simmons and Jimmy Page?
>>
>>64646268
Why compare.
>>
>>64646294

Because it's such a forgettable album, and I would've been happier if they released some shitty dubstep album instead of the middle of the road snoozefest that they put out.
>>
>>64646300
Jimmy Page is talented though. Gene Simmons is a greedy businessman who'd slap a KISS label on literally anything if he could.
>>
>>64646336
>forgettable
>Bloom
>Morning Mr. Magpie
>Lotus Flower
>Codex
Are you retarded? Forgettable is something people say when they've only listened to an album once or twice. Kys. Not even a Radiohead fanboy either. Just enjoy their music.
>>
>>64646342
He was a p. okay bassist in the 70s until he got lazy.
>>
>>64646374

Then maybe if you really loved the band you'd better appreciate their albums instead of pinning gold stars on mediocre tracks and albums.

Fuck off, you queer nufaggot
>>
>>64645089

This ebin meme post is correct and "LEWRONGGENERATIONXDDD" fags, while funny, are 100 percent correct about music generally declining even if good bands exist and good albums sometimes come out.
>>
The king of limbs is a grower not a shower, all the music radiohead makes lately is very subtle.
I didnt like th eking of limbs at first, didnt hate it.
Listened to it a few times over the years, then i finally got it
>>
>>64646426
I do love their music. I just don't foam over them like a rabid fanboy. This album is far from bad. In fact they don't even have a "bad" album. Even Pablo Honey wasn't terrible. Just average by comparison to their later works.

This is what I can't fucking stand about this board. Music is about entertainment, capturing emotion, bring back memories, nostalgia, or whatever you want it to be quite frankly. Music is supposed to make you happy.

Yet coming to this fucking board it's just a fight o see who can hate what band/artist/album the most.

You'd think you cunts don't actually like music at all and you're only here to argue about what band you hate the most.

I listen to music to enjoy and feel happy and get engorged in it all. Not to fight with you fucking negative cunts.
>>
>>64645786
>rick owens
aren't those standard converse shoes?
>>
>>64646559
The sole on the bottom looks to fat to be a standard high top.
>>
>>64646550

Maybe Reddit is more your speed, champ. Go find a safe space and stop yourself from getting triggered with your upvote palls.
>>
>>64646633
Kill yourself. Using Reddit as a retort is a perfect way to show that you didn't have anything valuable to reply with in the first place.

I'm pissed off because you faggots are only here to fight about what you hate the most. Not what you enjoy.

I'm not "triggered" because we have differing opinions. If you're going to have a discussion, give valid reasons why you dislike something instead of saying such stupid brash things as to why you "hate" it.

I don't give a fuck if you think it's "reddit" tier but hate is a strong word you stupid cunt.

Disagreeing with something doesn't = Reddit.

The internet truly has no place for valid discussion because retards like you only spew vitrolic hatred.
>>
>>64646155
>pre-jaded
>>
>>64646550

music boards (not just this one) talk trash to get rid of the people who aren't passionate enough to stick up for what they like, because if you don't have passion you probably like shit music
>>
>>64645159
So start a band. Gen X had this with the Boomers as well. They still do. Market isn't 'saturated' with older artists as much as there's never been this many famous people walking around past their prime. When it opens up, it will open up big. You'll see. Millenials are the new Boomers.
>>
>>64646682

I gave you my reasons for hating that album already, you triggered little nancy. Reddit is the perfect place for your sad bitchmade attitude because when you give yourself a nice little username and imgur profile you can have your magical discussions on why music makes you happy like the bitch you are.

Don't come to 4chan of all places and complain about the negativity. You are worthless, and your opinions belong in a Youtube comment section.
>>
>>64646713
This is a bullshit answer. I hate Reddit as much as the next guy, it's cheesy, they're all so sickly fake "nice" and the voting system is trash, but I'd rather have a middle ground of discussion.

On one hand you have 4chan which spews hatred, shit posting, negativity and stupidity, and on the other hand you have reddit where people post surface level cringe worthy humour for internet points to impress anonymous strangers online for no real worth.

I'm honestly glad I've been cutting back my internet use online. People are so fucking hateful and I can't stand it. I don't know how I've been using this website for so long.
>>
>>64644133
They peaked at Amnesiac for me. Honestly, not hype for this new album at all, their new single is legitimately the worst radiohead song I've ever heard.
>>
>>64646244
Not /amazed/ but clearly sounds like it's going to be better than TKOL
>>
>>64646770
>Reddit is the perfect place for your sad bitchmade attitude
I honestly wonder how people like you cope in the real world. If you're such a nasty hateful cunt online I wonder how you treat people in real life. I hope one day you say something to the wrong person and you get bashed cunt.
>>
>>64644522
true
>>
>>64646789
>People are so fucking hateful and I can't stand it.
>>
>>64646770
>you triggered little nancy
>bitchmade attitude
>happy like the bitch you are
>you are worthless
>your opinions belong in a youtube comment section
You truly sound like an awful person. Just putting it out there.
>>
>>64645557
What are Chet Faker, Pendulum, and AC/DC?
>>
>>64645159
>What has happened is that the market has become saturated with old artists

Since when? All you hear since 2010 is Taylor blah blah Kanye blah blah blah Drake yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>>64645135
They are though.
Foo fighters and arctic monkeys don't come even close
>>
>>64646906
Foo Fighters popularity is also attributed to the fact that everyone seems to think Dave Grohl is God's gift to earth. I don't dislike the guy at all but it makes me cringe how everyone makes out he's the nicest person to ever grace this earth.
>>
>>64644522
>Tame Impala
lol
>>
File: billymitchell.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
billymitchell.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
There is so much vitriol and shit being posted in this thread, everybody needs to count to ten and quit trying to convince eachother to commit suicide because they disagree with you about radiohead
>>
>>64645709
It's boring and banal.
Daydreaming blows it out of the water
>>
>>64644285
*claps*
>>
>>64646770
I think you need a psychiatric evaluation.
>>
>>64645159
>Anyone who disagrees is a fucking SJW scumbag fuck
this should be a banner
>>
>>64647000
>my opinion is a fact
Fuck off you piece of shit.
>>
>>64646962
/mu/ nets out as toxic garbage. Real shame it seemingly must be that way. I feel a degree of sympathy for anyone who came here and gradually had their head packed full of clutter, and maladaptive ways of experiencing the world.
>>
>>64644133
first, anyone who has Radiohead in their top 3 forms of music of all time knows basically nothing about music yet, so they tend to get overrated by younger music fans who are just starting to put their first genuine taste in music together.

second, there has never been another band since Radiohead that dented the airwaves with hit singles (back when that meant something) which also managed to attain some level of critical consensus. they transitioned to Kid A/Amensiac at just the right moment - they jumped ship just after their greatest commercial success, essentially went underground with albums that had a dramatically different sound (and no potential hits that could fit the still-rock-based sound of the radio stations I heard Kama Police and Paranoid Android hundreds of times from - it was like they vanished)

basically they were too hip to follow the dead-end that the alt-rock mould they rode to success, turned their backs on it, became one of the most instrumentally competent rock groups with a definable sound, and they haven't been surpassed in that way since.

they're smart, great at building hype, and ride a centre line between experimental sounds and textures while still keeping those sounds most people hear as innovative palatatable to all but the most conservative music listeners.
>>
>>64646906
I'm sorry but U2 is still the biggest rock nband on earth. If you don't think U2 is still relevant watch "Songs of Experience' go to #1 the first week of its release and the massive amount of people that will attend their next Stadium tour if they do one to support that album. Us old folks support the bands we like with our wallets while the "social media" generations are much more likely to buy the songs they like ala carte via itunes or outright pirate it. This above all else is why the sales records of Madonna, U2, and the Rolling Stones will probably never be broken or challenged by younger artists. And don't accuse this of being. i wrote the original post in the rock guitars making a comeback thread.
>>
>>64647060
>you can't have radiohead as a favourite band because they're popular
kys
>>
>>64647163
i left out the word "pasta"
>>
As long as the music doesn't sound 'old', what's the issue?
>>
>>64647163
Their sales records won't be challenged because of some fortunate marketplace circumstances in the 60s-70s-80s that can't be replicated.
>>
24 here, wedged neatly betwixt 30, the apparently new old because of what seems to be a revival of the old standard, which, if that isn't "le wrong generation" I really don't know what is, and 18, the age at which we all have to figure out what to listen to over the summer, knowing that when autumn rolls around, there's nobody across the cafeteria table to be surprised by the sudden change in tastes that we've found.

If my cringeworthy verbose posting hasn't sent you scrolling elsewhere, then here's this: Radiohead isn't shit, but they're still nothing special, and really just come across as a half depressed, half self-insistently avant garde version of something like Coldplay, except without the vibe of "I'm only pretending to be sensitive about shit so I can get balls deep in a vegan art major" or what have you.
>>
>>64647247
Yes. the actual purchase of physical media. I think I touched on that.
>>
>>64647163

U2 can have a big single, big one day, one week sales, but is anyone going to be actively talking about that single or album in a year? The only thing anyone remembers about the previous U2 album is it was downloaded on everyone's iTunes without consent.
>>
>>64647247
Specifically the following things:

1. A huge giant mass of baby boomers that one could sell music to
2. Proliferation of different music formats including vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes, and CDs which meant you could sell people the same music over and over

Recorded music pre-1965 was worth very little money and it seems to be the same way once again. The 60s through 90s was a fluke we shall not see again. Still doesn't stop old retards like Don Henley from whining about music downloading since they have no conception of why it's not possible to have multiplatinum albums anymore.
>>
>>64647188
not what I said at all. it's just that if you haven't discovered anything higher, then you should still be searching, 'cause you can be damn sure that your favourite band has better taste than you do. go listen to the music they claim as influences, then try to keep Radiohead in your top 3 - it's hard!
>>
>>64647332
Her timing on that slurp is so shit, this board would call it math rock.
>>
>>64647375
Everyone is different. I don't find it hard to keep Radiohead in my favourite bands. And my favourite genre is Hip Hop.
>>
>>64647362
damn i thought i wasnt going to jerk off today
>>
You kind of answered it yourself OP
This board is full of dadrock "le wrong generation" kids
Who haven't even realized that the generation has shifted under their nose

If you lionize any 90s music you need to grow the fuck up and get with the times
>>
>>64647316
And hopefully "Songs of Experience" won't be. We (U2 fan base) will have to buy it if we want it. And the U2 fans will if it is as good as "Songs of Innocence" which I shelled out the $16.00 for.
>>
>>64644133
>Is this legitimate hype or is this board all shills
Two of Radiohead's albums are rated 10/10 by Pitchfork. That's all you need to know.
>>
>>64647428
She lionizes, and atomizes.
>>
>>64647446
>>64647486
Why do you have these.
>>
>>64644990
our generation does have one.

Justin Beiber
Nicki Minaj
Taylor Swift
Ariana Grande
Drake

and thousands more, back in the 90's i guarantee you there were people who said that the music then was garbage but our generation considers them to be epic.

its weird thinking that in the future Justin Beiber and Nicki and the rest would be idolized and shit, and that boards like these would make their own /mu/ core charts with Justin Beiber's "My World 2.0" as one of the greatest.

hopefully i'm completely wrong but evidence would say otherwise
>>
>>64647527
>s weird thinking that in the future Justin Beiber and Nicki and the rest would be idolized and shit

If this were 1972, you'd be saying the Carpenters and the Osmonds would become legends and...oh wait.
>>
>>64647456

Sales only matter if you're a small band trying to make it. Then you need every cent you can get. If you're a band like Radiohead, you're going for impact, and at having an impact Radiohead are very successful. I believe this is also what U2 is going for, to continually change the conversation around music and the way music is perceived, but they're not as good at it now as Radiohead is. Neither band needs your money.
>>
>>64647372
>2. Proliferation of different music formats including vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes, and CDs which meant you could sell people the same music over and over
I was born n 61 and I don't honestly know to many people that bought the same album in different formats. If you wanted the new album to be "portable" you would just copy it to cassette or 8-track.
>>
>>64647402
Jane Marie is hot as fuck.
>>
>>64644522
such a random selection of artists. why?
>>
>>64647400
if Hip Hop's your favourite, then you must've bumped into James Brown's music - even if it was just the sample from Funky Drummer or whatever.
I'm not telling you what to like, but if you haven't heard his stuff, then I recommend a few good anthologies of his stuff:
>Foundations of Funk: 1964-1969
>Funk Power: 1970
>Make it Funky: 1971-1975
plus Sly & The Family Stone's Riot and Fresh albums. those things I think you'll love, in case you haven't heard them before
>>
>>64647602
Yes but we're not talking about James Brown are we. And we're not talking about music that hip hop was influenced by because that's dozens of genre from funk, to blues, soul and even african beat music.
>>
I- I thought it was good
>>
>>64647560
This I will agree with. I'm the U2 generation (well..Stones Beatles) and they most certainly do not need the money.
>>
>>64647633
Ignore all the hateful comments. It doesn't do anything healthy for your mentality.
>inb4 hugbox mentality
>>
>>64647552
The Carpenters get mentioned from time to time but you do have a point about the Osmonds, well hey maybe not all of them, maybe im completely wrong i even said it but it just seems possible, who do you think from our generation might get idolized?
>>
>>64647574
>I was born n 61 and
Don't you have a gig to be setting up now, Dave Mustaine? You'll be late.
>>
>>64647527
24 guy here, personally I'm hoping that future generations end up idolizing stuff like The XX, LDR, Milky Chance, Caribou, The Knife, Birdy, and Fat Freddy's Drop.
>>
lol, just stop coming to 4chan you weak nerd
>>
>>64647626
you're right. what's your favourite few aritsts/albums/whatever then?
>>
>>64647687
Not really sure if I have any specific artists that I'd consider my favourites. It changes all the time. I mean as you keep growing your taste changes. At the moment it's probably Aesop Rock.

Favourite albums? Currently probably The Impossible kid or Live From The Dentist Office. Like I said, it changes though. I've had a lot of "favourite" artists/bands/albums.
>>
>>64647684

But...
I missed 4chan. I had to come back.
>>
>>64647683
This might sound a little off topic, but anyway, lately I've been thinking about electronic music as a genre overall.

The people that hate it specifically. It baffles me how you could hate electronic music, let alone not even appreciate it.

I mean think about it like this. We can literally make music, sounds beats and entire albums with electricity. Imagine where music was only a hundred years ago. And now look at what we can do with it. Literally able to make sounds via means of electricity. It's crazy really.
>>
>>64647676
You'll be 55 someday maybe if the fates are on your side. I really don't hate on new music. I try to give it an honest listen but nothing about either "Burn the Witch" or "DayDreaming'" seem that amazing to me.
>>
>>64647666
Humans are machines. Reverse engineer why they're generating the output they are, then after building a reasonable capacity to recognize the basis of human behaviors, ignore them on whatever basis you please.

It's all about the heuristics. Build good ones, and you can use and refine them forever. Don't bother to connect it all together, and you can stumble around in the dark your whole life. People are simple, their context over time is not. I'm not fond of the "turn the other cheek" or "live and let live" attitude. If something is obnoxious or behaving like a broken degenerate, you ought to figure out what makes it tick. Because maybe a bit of you was that broken degenerate too.
>>
>>64647676
Arrgghh, you caught me. I will go now and tune my guitar.

PS, Kirk Hammett is still a faggot.
>>
>>64647683
only way to know is to retrace the steps of other old bands who are famous today.

How did radiohead get so popular as well as Animal Collective and Velvet Underground. you can these use that and check which bands from today match the criteria
>>
>>64647800
>>64647783
Go away and shitpost in /metal/, Davey.
>>
>>64647715
Why bother ever telling yourself you have a "favorite" to begin with? You are everyone you've ever met, and everyone you've been, and everything you've done.

Man, people can't just experience. They've gotta define, categorize, delineate, even when the way they're doing it is needless. What good is a "favorite"?
>>
>>64647799
I can be a filthy disgusting degenerate. I know that. But after years and years of using the internet, and especially being one of the generations that grew up as it was evolving, I've grown to hate what it's become. There's just so much damn hatred and it actually makes me feel sick. I'm already depressed and there's only so much more negativity I can take. Lately I've been taking a lot of time from the internet to focus on myself, my goals and in general my physical and mental health. It's honestly done me wonders. It's amazing how much it helps to get away from this addictive machine.

I'm not telling you to do what I do. Things work different people. But just consider it.
>>
>>64647875
I definitely understand where you're coming from. And the only reason I mentioned them as favourites I guess is more because when I do list them as a favourite it's because they've been my most listened to artists over the many that I have currently been listening to. If that makes sense.

>They've gotta define, categorize, delineate, even when the way they're doing it is needless. What good is a "favorite"?
This couldn't be more true either. Especially with music in general. You wouldn't believe how much I hate the fact that everyone has to rate everything "out of 10".

>"oh that album was so bland, a 4/10 for me"
I mean, why the fuck does everything need a label on it like that? I feel like that ruins the entire album by slapping a number on it. If I like something I like it. Yeah even some of my favourite albums have small minor defects and small things I don't like that doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to put a number on it because of those few negatives.
>>
>>64647878

Posters on 4chan have an extremely "negative" written voice, if you busted out some stats I'm sure you could prove this but posting here yourself I'm sure you can tell and don't need the stats. This board isn't so bad. But you read somewhere like /r9k/ long enough, you start to feel terrible too. So don't, that's my advice.
>>
>>64647676
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S61294055#p61298083

We caught Leonard Cohen on here as well.
>>
>>64647715
I see what you like about those artists - they take a whole bunch of musical ideas and samples and stitch them together into interesting tapestries.
basically you don't listen to boring music. I'm just saying don't stop. you can break through into the dozen different genres that inspired those albums - or something completely different and unexpected. I didn't know what I didn't know when I started searching and that never changes
>>
>>64647938
I've only been on /r9k/ a couple of times. The first time ended up an absolutely ridiculous argument. I don't even know what it was about now that I think about it.

You may think /mu/ pales in comparison to other boards like that or /b/ but I honestly disagree. I've never met such a bunch of hateful people.

For a board that's supposed to be about music, which generally brings memories, happiness and whatnot, it sure brings the exact opposite most of the time.
>>
>>64647878
No, you misunderstand. I largely agree, at least in a high level sense.

No matter where you look, it could always be so much better, if only people weren't people. I used to look at the internet as it was developing and think that the greater access to ideas and interactions must certainly be a net positive. It would offer exponential mind expansion and dim ways of being would evolve or fizzle out. It was a naive idea. I don't think the human species is capable of handling the full implications of the internet, and it's possibly one of the worst things we could've done to ourselves when viewed as a whole (at least at this stage). As always, to exist is to be crushed under the tyranny of the majority. And the majority is, and as long as we're what we know as "human", always will be, stupid, deficient, degenerates.

I'm disgusted as well. I don't go on forums or 4chan much, and avoid being controlled by my environment such that I try to use brute force, or become hostile. Like you said, it's ultimately all up to you.
>>
>>64648023
They're definitely interesting, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to mainstream music either. I mean I absolutely love A$AP Rocky's music too. In fact, his A.L.L.A was one of my favourite albums last year. I was listening to it today as well. After listening to so much music I've definitely become a lot more relaxed on what I do and don't listen to. I have no shame in listening to top 40 music if I enjoy it. People who take the "patrician/pleb" thing seriously don't know how to form their own opinions. If I like something I should be able to like it without someone having to spew nonsense all over me on why I have "garbage" taste in music.
>>
>>64648034
>And the majority is, and as long as we're what we know as "human", always will be, stupid, deficient, degenerates.
I agree. But I dare say, does that mean we're implying that we are more intelligent than the "majority"? Would that not make us ignorant and arrogant?
>>
>>64647775
I'll be honest with you, I fuckin love a lot of electronic. Trap, big room, and hardstyle are totally shit, but there's real innovation and musicality happening elsewhere. A lot of /my/tants have a thing for Aphex Twin and his broad range of samples and inspiration, and he's not alone. There's actually a bass/dubstep collab group that operates as Destroid (but are all 3 accomplished producers/musicians in their own right) and they've upped the ante by rigging midi controllers to contraptions resembling guitars and actually perform live, communicating with each other via radio components in their crazy, Predator-esque costumes, with those communications actually being broadcast to the audience as well in heavily distorted form. Others in the genre, like Dirtyphonics, Flux Pavilion, and Feed Me, bring audible composition and theory knowledge into the craft, which producers like KOAN Sound and Omnitica take to a whole new level.
>>
>>64644133
It's simple really. Radiohead doesn't put out the same album over and over. They *evolve* unlike the entire 60-80 generation of music. Most of the bands from the 90s died out for the same reasons.

As long as radiohead puts out good, current, trend setting music they'll continue to be enjoyed and put on a pedestal by generations of people.
>>
>>64648034
>I don't think the human species is capable of handling the full implications of the internet, and it's possibly one of the worst things we could've done to ourselves when viewed as a whole (at least at this stage).
I agree. Although, I've always had a strong opinion that the internet as a viable platform died around 2007. Websites like Facebook, tumblr and twitter all launched. The first iPhone launched in 2007. That's when I believe it became just a huge marketing machine.

Not only that. When the iPhone launched in 2007 smartphones were just in their infancy. Look at today. They're almost impossible to live without. Every fucking person has one. Which means every dumb cunt and their dog has access to the internet. I mean you literally have people from the ages of 2 with iPads all the way up to 90+ year old seniors with smart phones or tablets. Billions of people online spewing their uneducated opinions on things.
>>
>>64646374
Yeah but you should be at least somewhat of a fanboy about The Bends and OK Computer. And some of the other stuff.

TKOL is repetitive and boring.
>>
>>64648177
Fuck my phone, that should have been /mu/tants
>>
>>64648177
Interesting read. I'm not even a big electronic fan myself but I wrote that because it amazes me that we can make music with electricity just like that. Yet people hate it for such silly reasons. I hate to generalise but rock fans seem to hate anything that isn't guitar related. And even guitar music can grow bland. I don't know how people listen to the same music over and over for 40 years on end. I'm a huge hip hop fanatic so I guess that counts.
>>64648219
I'm a huge fan of all their albums really. I just don't think any of their music is bad. Even Pablo Honey. Yes it's very average by comparison, but it's not terrible.
>>
>>64646559
Has the tricky ricky zippy on the side
>>
>>64648107
it's nobody else's business what you like. and I agree that you should be able to listen to whatever you want without someone getting in your face about it
but I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to be altogether civil or reasonable about these sorts of things on /mu/ - I expect people to call my favourite artists shit. people do this just as a tactic to weed out the people willing to stand up for what they like from people who just don't care.
as long as you know what you like, it doesn't matter what anyone else says to you about it
>>
>>64648277
>I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to be altogether civil or reasonable about these sorts of things on /mu/ - I expect people to call my favourite artists shit. people do this just as a tactic to weed out the people willing to stand up for what they like from people who just don't care.
Why though? Why must we resort to rudeness, hatred, negativity and all around just shit posting for the sake of riling people up? I know it's "part of the 4chan culture" but just because something is "normal" doesn't mean it's right.

I'm up for a discussion (interesting ones like this) but when it's just blatant "your favourite artist sucks" posts it's just so fucking bland, repetitive, recycled and uninspired.
>>
>>64648135
Intelligence is relative, and if viewed in the abstract, can only be a spectrum. I don't really think about myself in those terms much, and don't think calling something(one) "stupid" necessarily must have a claim of one's own superior intellect be the other side of the coin. It's not relative to me, it's absolute.

An accusation of degeneracy on the other hand is. It's all about the heuristics, and trying to be honest and realistic when recognizing their underpinnings, and limitations, is anything but ignorant. Saying "the majority" does this to a comparable extent, would be greater ignorance, as well as self delusion. I refused to accept reality until I was ~21 and finally admitted stupid existed.

It might be arrogant, but I don't think it matters when any metric you can lay out tends to yield the same results in all the ways that matter.
>>
>>64645159
>Anyone who disagrees is a fucking SJW scumbag

this isn't the rhetorical homerun you think it is. and to say it, frankly, indicates that you're engaging with a pretty boring world view.
>>
>>64648212
New way to stay the same.
>>
>>64647810
Except today we have viable internet literally in our pockets that knock down every media hurdle around back then. You don't have to be there at the 60 person venues anymore to witness the birth of the next big thing because you subscribe to the right feeds.
>>
>>64648324
Intelligence is relative. I do agree. IQ tests don't prove much. When I see articles about "prodigy" children I scoff. Not that the child in question isn't smart, it's just more that things like that have no worth when kids like that have no life experience, no hard work under their belt, no notable achievements etc.

You know, people mock tradesman for being dumb and unintelligent but who do they run to when they need plumbing, carpentry, electrical work etc.

Everyone is smart at something. No matter what it is.
>>
radiohead are shit
>>
>>64648367
what are you "smart at" anon
>>
>>64648386
not grammar/syntax apparently
>>
>>64648361
Is it bad that I hate this about how relevant the internet is? I mean the technology is remarkable. Being able to do as much as we can all within a small rectangular device that we carry around everywhere.

I feel like the internet has killed a lot in culture though. The element of surprise seems to be less. It's all in your social media feeds. There are no big cultural icons like you would've had back in the 40s 50s etc. I mean who's our current day Elvis? or James Dean?

I don't mean this in a 'wrong generation' way, but I definitely feel the internet has ruined a lot of great things that predate it.
>>
>>64648361
exactly. so that means if by this >>64647683
anons views those guys would get more famous then they are now in the future, right?

unless theres another factor that is, theres something else besides the internet that solidify a bands legacy in the future i just cant get my hands on
>>
>>64648386
I don't know. Probably lots of things if I bothered to put my mind to it. Having depression sets me back a lot. Although that could be seen as a poor excuse for my lack of motivation. I enjoy fitness a lot. I used to do a lot of personal research into health/fitness/and nutrition but I don't do enough of it anymore.
>>64648403
What was wrong with how I wrote my response?
>>
>>64648322
I think that as long as you keep things in perspective and not take things personally - most of all keep a sense of humour - then you won't be bothered by the culture here.

the advantages to this confrontational atmosphere is that provoking people about their opinions and challenging them spurs new thoughts you may not have imagined before.

I think there are few places where blatantly telling someone to their face a completely contrary view with no negative consequences for them is healthy for people and the culture as a whole. I always tend to moderate my opinions whenever I talk to people IRL, but here? what's the point? I just say what's on my mind. it speeds conversations up dramatically

only when it devolves to that Monty Python sketch where you set out for an argument and end up with him just disagreeing with whatever you say does it lose the plot completely
>>
>>64648405
The truth is that our parents are still pretending to be "liberals" and we're all eating it up.

Our whole generation was raised by people who grew up hating Nixon and Reagan and conservatives, and they've inherited the power structure. They've also become the actual establishment in the process, and they've lost touch. It's what always happens. They're all sitting around, duddling out of their minds as people do when they get older, and we're all sitting around eating the crappy trash they feed us.

Instead of standing up and taking ownership of the world like we should, we just take their fucking money and take the shitty ideas they feed us through the media, which makes us so easy to control, which is neverbeforeseen, and basically we become totally impotent.

We need to stop fucking around and grow the fuck up and have some fucking fun. We need to stop letting them make us feel guilty. This is our fucking time. This is our technology. We own the internet. We own the fucking world. They're the fucking problem.
>>
>>64648405
>I mean who's our current day Elvis? or James Dean?

i think the idea of needing a national popular culture is nostalgic in the worst way. the internet has opened up avenues for organic social ties and communication that dwarf anything that came before it. i can sit here, and learn about an array of music which i never would have been privy to. i can engage and shape and curate a cultural space i identify with, what helps shape me, and i shape it. its brilliant, and frankly i think its worth the sacrifice of national iconography.

and there still are icons-- check out the mag rack when you're at the grocery store. its just a bunch of celebs, and who gives a shit about them but the worst kind of gossips.
>>
>>64648474
>most of all keep a sense of humour
I have a sense of humour. In fact, to quote monty python "nobody likes a good laugh more than I do" but it's not funny when it's just the same jokes I've seen on here hundreds of times even in the same day.

>the advantages to this confrontational atmosphere is that provoking people about their opinions and challenging them spurs new thoughts you may not have imagined before.
Of course, that's the great thing about discussion, but you can make people rethink their opinions on things without coming across as hostile and childish by throwing around insults and saying arbitrary comments like "meme music". Think about it. When you see comments like that what does it even fucking mean? It doesn't even bring ANYTHING to the table other than "I don't know how to have a discussion so I'll just shit post instead".
>>
>>64648443
As life gets longer awful feels softer, and it feels pretty soft to me. And if it takes shit to make bliss, well I feel pretty blissfully.

>>64648509
Same shit, different scale. The massive amount of data and inputs to form in depth psychological profiles and extremely accurate predictive heuristics is new though. Soon they'll be able to know what you're going to do before you yourself do.
>>
>>64648509
i strongly, strongly cosign this. good post famm.
>>
>>64648509
My dad is a conservative and still has a problem with gay people so I can't really relate.

But yes, we own the internet, but that doesn't mean their aren't a lot of young hateful idiots out there.

I don't know what I'm even trying to say at this point.
>>
>>64648443
just busting your giblets w/r/t your sentence construction. i agree w/ your thrust tho.
>>
>>64648553
you're right, and my only defense is pick your battles. most coversations on here are shit, but the investment for starting each conversation is so low that you can seed a dozen threads and pick one or two to follow up on

I guess when you see those memes a thousand times it just fades into the background, and you just get better at detecting the signal inside all that noise. I wish there was a better place than here, but reddit has "reputation" and people will downvote contrarian opinions to invisibility (which is not at all conducive to healthy debate) - so it'll never be half as good at keeping different perspectives alive as this site
>>
>>64648545
It was just an example. Don't look too far into it. I still don't personally think there is anything wrong with having cultural icons, but I do see where you're coming from. I just feel like the internet has ruined an element of the culture because we're so saturated with new information every single day, fuck, even minute of the day new information is being flooded on to the internet nothing has enough time to stick around for long enough to solidify itself in history. That's a generalisation obviously, but most of the passing internet fads weren't anything that I'd call meaningful.
>>
>>64648715
>and my only defense is pick your battles. most coversations on here are shit, but the investment for starting each conversation is so low that you can seed a dozen threads and pick one or two to follow up on
That's a very fair point. It kind of hurts though even if it's a small "investment" as you put it to just get a reply by some idiot who has nothing better to do then shit all over you and insult you for seemingly no reason. I know it's online and I shouldn't take it so seriously, and I try not to, but after a while, it starts to get to you.
>>
>>64648715
>but the investment for starting each conversation is so low that you can seed a dozen threads and pick one or two to follow up on
A very insightful anon on here drew my attention to an important angle of this that I never realized. The drive is more or less the same as a gambling addiction. Why seed all these possible futures. Why invest at all. Why keep doing it. Why keep refreshing, why wait for the "(You)". Why relentlessly search for the tiniest drip of value, the smallest signal in all the noise, all the garbage. Most of it is waste that doesn't come near outweighing the investment and all the irritation.

I haven't been on 4chan for a few months. Listened to Halfaxa by Grimes and figured I'd come on /mu/ to see if I could find something else interesting. That I happened upon something worthwhile, or meaningful, or invested properly, is purely chance. And I suppose I'd say when it comes to how my mind works, and my habits, that's the best way it can be and how it likely needs to stay. Anything else and I'm mainly just waiting for nothing, in motion for the goal of being motionless, and avoiding my life's myriad problems.
>>
>>64648830
one of the worst things to do is to pay any more attention after you've already "gotten it" - if you recognize you aren't getting something more from something you used to, it's like listening to the dial tone after the call has ended. one of the important skills everyone who wants to be aware in this life is to be alert to these situations. then use your boredom to think about what else would be more interesting/beneficial/useful - and then do it!

my rym is Toocold in case you want to continue this convo later - I need to help my brother out a bit. nice chatting with you
>>
>>64648961
I'm not the poster you've been talking with. Either way, it's good to see conversations like this being brought up for once.
>>
>>64648830
>A very insightful anon on here drew my attention to an important angle of this that I never realized. The drive is more or less the same as a gambling addiction. Why seed all these possible futures. Why invest at all. Why keep doing it. Why keep refreshing, why wait for the "(You)". Why relentlessly search for the tiniest drip of value, the smallest signal in all the noise, all the garbage. Most of it is waste that doesn't come near outweighing the investment and all the irritation.

You've pretty much summed up my feelings all in a couple of sentences. The outcome does not make it all worth it to suffer through all of the shit.
>>
>>64648721
its a interesting point. maybe this is just the logical extension of modernity/post-modernity, and we approach a horizon in which everything is recontextualized and nothing has any foundations. all thats solid melts into air or w/e.

its spooky. i think the left or the youth or whoever needs to develop the organic, fluid, flexible culture that withstand the technologizing. these communites seem like a start, but you're probably right in that it cuts both ways-- this internet culture here only serves to perpetuate whatever information economy we exist in now, where everything trades on what's new, and transient network effects.
>>
>>64648961
good post.
>>
>>64649109
It's just frustrating. And I mean I guess they're only teenagers, and they're still developing mentally and physically but I just can't understand how they can gobble it all up and GENUINELY enjoy it and think it's normal human behaviour. They're a product of advertising and they don't even know it.

Facebook's entire model is advertising, and Instagram which is own by Facebook is just as bad. You have "famous" Instagram accounts which are just full of product placement all over it and people don't even see that they're being sold to.

I could go on about this for hours, fuck even days.
>>
>>64649198
yeah, me too. i guess i'm in my mid twenties, and don't have siblings, so i'm pretty insulated from teen culture, but i think i know what you mean. the total lack of context, or the understanding that world (generally, but specifically of the internet), is just this contingent thing, that it has more depth, but they (some at least) seem to totally buy-in, as it were.
but this could be a cyclical generational thing (this would seem to be the same kind of thing at work to make elvis big, for instance). but maybe now its more totalizing than in the past?

i don't have much an internet presence (deleted my fb in the wake of the social network), for the reasons articulated in a previous post regarding more positive allocations of time/energy. but i still manage to get caught up, as you said, in just a flood of 'content' or news or w/e all the time.
>>
>>64649198

I disagree. I think most people, and young people, are aware of when they're being sold something and are okay with it because either.

1 it's unavoidable
2 precisely because they're not that impressionable and can make decisions for themselves.
3. recognize that even cool indie stuff has to sell itself so it's really all advertising
4. just don't give a fuck because it's not that important to them.
or any number of other reasons
>>
>>64649503
I've had Facebook around 8 times now. It's highly addictive and I only ever regret making it again and hating it. I like having no social media. It's surprises me people wouldn't want more privacy in their life. People don't realise the impact and negativity it can have posting your entire presence online for people to see.
>>
>>64649576
Teens are incredible impressionable. Especially through puberty, high school etc when they're going through all of their "it's not a phase" phases.
>>
>>64649576
>it's unavoidable
How? Social media isn't a requirement to live. Although some people are so addicted and can't live without it.
>>
>>64649598

Or finally, have you ever considered
Some people genuinely enjoy the things they're being sold and don't want to be told it's bad, because they're enjoying themselves
Which makes them still impressionable, but not wrong or worse in any way.
>>
>>64649653
That makes no sense. That's basically like saying "I like being brainwashed and I want to keep it that way because I like it"
>>
>>64645186
the internet is not representative of society, everyone knows that
>>
>>64649701

Where do you get your ideas? Other people, right?
Same as me
>>
>>64649727
Some advertising is interesting and even artistic sometimes but I don't consume it through social media every day like the majority are. You'd honestly be surprised how many people don't realise they're a product to be sold to and they're just feeding the system
>>
>>64649582
>>64649616

i'll just say that i changed coasts for grad school, and i know that not having a fb has hurt me socially. other than the convenience and functionality of it, my lack must seem as a mark of affectation or pretension or something. and it hurts my ability to connect with people who are located, well, everywhere.
its not unavoidable in the sense that you literally couldn't avoid it. but its become totally entwined in the social fabric.
>>
>>64649576
>I think most people, and young people, are aware of when they're being sold something
I don't think a lot of people are aware of when and how they're being manipulated, and even when they are, they might not see what they're really buying.
>>
>>64649778
Not having social media hurt my social life too but I'm not saddened by it. It just shows how vain and disloyal people are. The amount of people that forget you even exist without social media by their side is pretty sad. It's as if it's impossible for people to communicate via mobile or text message anymore. I mean honestly, are we that lazy and privileged that it's even too hard to text anymore?
>>
>>64649653
i generally disagree that everyone's taste or preferences are to be respected as sovereign. i think your pov here entails some pretty strong relativistic conclusions.
>>
>>64647457
>a broken clock is right twice a day :^)
>>
>>64649833
You know it's bad when people quote advertising in real life. Even I'm guilty of that. IE. "You're not you when you're hungry"
>>
>>64649776

The only way to learn how products and even opinions are sold and to do anything about is to spend your entire life being advertised and sold to. Then you know exactly how it works. We're churning out entire generations of people who can't stand advertisement!
>>
>>64649882
On the contrary I find marketing interesting as a study and art form, but I still hate being advertised to through almost anything and everything I do.
>>
>>64649837
could be. but a charitable reading might just be that they (your friends or whomever) aren't so reliant on media, and that they just want to use what's the least taxing of their time. economies of scale or w/e.
i dunno. if you're younger, then yeah, your friendships are more fickle (in my experience). and yeah, fuck people who don't have your back.
>>
Wow most interesting thread I have read on 4chan for weeks. Not much to add that 30 something speaks for me basically but really glad to read this insightful talk.
>>
>>64649972
I don't really have any loyal friends. In fact I probably have one true loyal friend who's got my back and he lives interstate. I met him on /b/ of all places and we became friends in real life. I'm quite lonely to be honest and I hate it. The Internet is no replacement for real life interaction
>>
>>64649986
This is probably one of the most if not the most introspective threads on 4chan I've ever been happy to participate in.
>>
>>64649986
yeah one guy up there really fucking killed it. i think rym/toocold.
>>
>>64644307
BOOORING SNOOORE IT'S 2016 GIVE ME SOMETHING MORE INTERESTING
>>
>>64650019
sorry man, thats a rough feel. life's patchy though. can you relocate for work or school? and you go somewhere and do something that really turns you on?

if you're the same interlocutor i've speaking to far above: yeah, i think this is the cutting both ways of the internet age. we've both cut out fb, for instance, and yet we (probably) still spend too much time on the internet. in many ways, i've atrophied from interalizing this shit.

as i alluded to before, i'm pretty thankful for the connections (to past art/literature/films). my cultural capital is through the roof. but you're right, these aren't usually the most emotionally fulfilling engagements. but the potential is very great imo.
>>
thanks for this thread everyone
>>
>>64645089
U OK Kid?
>>
>>64650176
>>64650176
>can you relocate for work or school.
I'm 22, unemployed and currently not studying. I've never been interesting in studying. Not for lack of wanting to further my education. I just always end up losing motivation half way through because I always feel like I'm studying for the sake of studying and it ends up ruining any interest I had in said topic/interest/hobby.

>and you go somewhere and do something that really turns you on
I just don't know what that is though, unfortunately. All I do know is eventually I want financial freedom. And I mean absolute financial freedom. To be able to just spend money and know that I still have like 800k in the bank. Might sound silly but being financially stable helps a lot. Consumerism is addictive as fuck and hard to fight. It feels so good buying new stuff though.

>if you're the same interlocutor I've been speaking to so far above
Maybe. I've been here for probably two hours now.

>we've both cut out fb, for instance, and yet we (probably) still spend too much time on the internet. in many ways, i've atrophied from interalizing this shit.
I pretty much replaced Facebook with 4chan and Reddit. I try to hide my Reddit usage because I actually do hate it but it is kind of a good news aggregator for hip hop.

I just know that I could be doing so much more with my life than wasting anywhere from 4-16 hours a day on the internet. I'm NEVER doing anything worthwhile on here that will help me with my future or bring me any kind of income. I've also had this kind of conversation with myself dozens of times
>>
It's seriously not funny to pretend to love Radiohead anymore.

Especially since most of you hipsters act like you hate mainstream bands yet you idolize one of the biggest pop-rock bands of the last 12 years.

Not to mention their pseudo-experimentalism is childish at best and generally pretentious and awful.

It's no better than Coldplay or Three Days Grace.

Every 15 year old's first pseudo-intellectual favourite band is Radiohead. Sadly, they're not talented and Thom's voice is awful and generally they're boring and plebeian.

Enjoy your Babby's first experimental pop-rock band, kiddies. The adults will be over there away from this awful unfunny memeband
>>
>>64645159
This is hilarious
>>
>neo-/mu/ hates Radiohead now

This board keeps falling in quality. Will it end? Who is the next major artist to get unreasonably shit on by the newfags?
>>
>>64650410
Kanye West, Animal Collective and David Bowie often get a huge amount of flack too. Shit posting is pathetic.
>>
>>64650450
Kanye is a bit understandable at times because he can have some seriously shitty verses and a massive ego but I used to hate him way more than I do now. He really does have talent. The other two are ridiculous. I can get why you might not like AnCo but dismissing them as lolsoquirky pop is just incorrect. And hating David Bowie is something I just don't understand
>>
>>64650502
His ego is an act and the media will find anyway to scrutinise him no matter how good or bad. It amazes me how much trust people put into media sources and paparazzi "news"
>>
>>64650304
i hate reddit. i never curate my own reddits, cause i don't want to spend time there, and yet i go back and see the stupidest fucking thread or comments and swear its finished. and yet...

i don't know man. i opted for law, but i was super interested it, and i don't mind studying. the worst years of my life were between undergrad and grad school (about your age). i didn't have anything going for me except a girl, but my own shit-- which prevented me from really getting going on anything--infected all my relationships and she left. i've reconnected with most of my close friends, but in a lot of ways im still playing catch up. i worry that i've internalized all the shame from those years. i still spend a lot of time on the net, if only because its comfy.
----
i think college, or just some college courses, would be great though. you don't need to commit to be a doctor-- just dip your toes in a number of different subjects to see what suits. go to clubs, meet girls. whatever. i dunno, its tough for me to. but i think we both realize that this is counter productive.

maybe set some small, attainable goals. and just trust that you can do it. life gets much easier when you have a safety net of people pulling for you.
>>
>>64650542
Yeah I think in retrospect that a lot of it is just him making dumb statements because he speaks without thinking. But he definitely has an ego as seen through his social media and lyrics. But I listen to other asshole musicians so I got over it. Kanye just doesn't separate his music from his personality that much, which is what triggers people
>>
>>64650335
man i don't 'get' radiohead, but this is pushing it...

>>64650450
>>64650502
>>64650542
people not liking kanye (generally, but especially if they've never really engaged in his music-- which is most of his critics) is a huge redflag for me.
>>
>>64650555
>>64650555
>i hate reddit. i never curate my own reddits, cause i don't want to spend time there, and yet i go back and see the stupidest fucking thread or comments and swear its finished. and yet...

Honestly, you sound exactly like me. I just can't stop going back there but I know I fucking HATE it.

>i still spend a lot of time on the net, if only because its comfy.
Honestly, I'd say this is the addiction talking in my opinion. You may disagree, but are we not comfiest when we are indulging in your vices? I know when I constantly look at porn I'm content. Afterwards I always get that constant feel of shame, guilt and regret though at all the disgusting things I looked at.

>i think college, or just some college courses, would be great though. you don't need to commit to be a doctor-- just dip your toes in a number of different subjects to see what suits. go to clubs, meet girls. whatever. i dunno, its tough for me to. but i think we both realize that this is counter productive.

I do think I will eventually study again. Also, I went out last night. Not really clubbing but I went to a couple of "clubs". It's definitely not really my scene. I kind of danced a bit, but those environments are so grubby. Not to generalise, but most of the time it's bad remixes, loud as fuck, literally deafening, my ears are slightly ringing today, dirty as fuck, sluts all over the place and seedy muscular dudes trying to get their dick wet. It's just so desperate? Idk. More replies incoming hang on
>>
>>64644990
Are you kidding? Hip-hop is the new rock-and-roll.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.