[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Had Mercury Rev permanently disbanded after Boces, would they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: MI0002117827.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0002117827.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
Had Mercury Rev permanently disbanded after Boces, would they have been remembered as the greatest rock band of all time?
>>
No because we wouldn't have Deserter's and there are at least 3 dozen better bands that have existed.
>>
>>64634381
Deserter's Songs is hugely overrated, and I'm not just saying this because it had lush production and strings. I think that the Soft Bulletin is by far the best thing the Flaming Lips ever did, but they were more of a pop band than Mercury Rev were, so that style fit them. The element of madness that David Baker brought to Mercury Rev paired with Jonathan Donahue's more whimsical tone created a unique contrast which is part of what made early Mercury Rev one of the greatest bands of all time. Combining chaotic sonic attacks with soft, dreamy tones was crucial to their greatness. The band that existed following David Baker's departure was good, but it was nowhere near as amazing as what they had on those first two albums. Unfortunately, Mercury Rev never got to do the great things they would have done had the original lineup been able to hold together, so Boces remains their highest accomplishment.
>>
>>64634338
Probably not, Piero.
>>
>>64635732
I hate it how when one person states an opinion that tones of people held prior to that people begin to think that everyone who holds that view point is imitating that one person.
>>
>>64635290
idk man i like all mercury rev
racing the tide is their best song
>>
>>64637312
welcome to /mu/
now get out
>>
>>64637571
underrated album. See You On The Other Side got some jams for sure
>>
>>64635732
piero also liked deserter's songs
>>
Isn't the only reason anybody knows anything about them just because of Deserter's?
>>
>>64637631
I've been trying to get out for three years.
>>
>>64637663
Unfortunately, yes.

However, Yerself Is Steam was the first thing I ever heard from them.
>>
>>64634338

Not even close.
>>
would they be remembered as a rock band at all
>>
>>64637668
>three years

kek

try being here since 2009, then we'll talk
>>
>>64637663
The first two records gained some notoriety upon release. Like they played and got kicked out of Lollapalooza around Boces-time. Who knows, maybe the early records would be more popular if they didn't run counter to Donahue's canonization of the band on DS
>>
>>64634381
>Deserter's
lmao
>>64635290
Have you listened to Donahue's solo work?
>>
I think All Is Dream should have been their last record. It felt like some kind of conclusion. Everything after that felt unnecessary.
>>
>>64637663
ignore >>64637697, a lot of underground music fans from the 90s knew about them, they first gained infamy after playing that loud as concert at lollapalooza
>>
>>64637663
Boces was actually one of the most hyped albums of 1993.
>>
File: 235d.jpg (22 KB, 248x318) Image search: [Google]
235d.jpg
22 KB, 248x318
>implying see you on the other side isn't on the same level as yerself is steam and boces
if there's one thing i can't stand, it's plebs
>>
>>64640307
It's definitely the best post Baker album, but nothing beats early Mercury Rev.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.