[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Tortoise? Also other instrumental groups thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 400x389) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 400x389
Opinions on Tortoise?
Also other instrumental groups thread
>>
>>64633236
TNT is one of the best albums I've ever heard. It has near limitless replay ability. The opening track is so damn lush and tense (in the most positive way possible).
>>
everyone's busy shitposting some manufactured Coldplay meme right now

check out Lateduster - 5 Easy Pieces
they're this supergroup that fell into obscurity in the early 2000s, but honestly plays a lot like tortoise
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kzfXkzPQImI
I can get you a DL if you dig it
>>
>>64633415
I definitely agree with you
I don't mind their next album, Standards, but nothing compares to TNT. I can honestly say I don't particularly enjoy any later albums. They lose that "lush" tonality and feel
>>
>>64633526
I love lateduster. I surprisingly found them through Spotify and really dug it
>>
TNT is a great album, it has an excellent chilled-out, downtempo vibe to it. Really awesome sounds and shit.

Dunno what else to say I like 'em.
>>
File: Shaq.gif (2 MB, 361x276) Image search: [Google]
Shaq.gif
2 MB, 361x276
POST ROCK ALL TIME TIERS
*** controversy alert I like some non-mu approved music ***

God Tier:
>tortoise
>explosions in the sky
>sigur ros

Master Tier:
>gybe
>talk talk
>balmorhea
>the album leaf
>swans
>this will destroy you
>múm

Great Tier:
>slint
>mogwai
>mono
>toe

Decent Tier:
>el ten eleven
>saxon shore
>helios
>maybeshewill
>mirroring
>hammock

Meh Tier:
>the american dollar
>caspian
>eluvium
>message to bears
>>
>>64633661
>sigur ros are anything above decent
stop right there
>>
>>64633661
You'd consider el ten eleven and toe post rock?
>>
>>64633661
I think Mogwai are utter garbage personally, and I have similar complaints about Explosions in the Sky that most of their detractors seem to have but at the very least I can understand why people love them so much. I just fucking hate Mogwai, though.
>>
John McEntire is an outstanding musician. Love the brief drumming segments on Gastr Del Sol's Serpentine Similar.
>>
>>64633236

Tortoise is fucking good, I don't even think they have bad releases (It's All Around You may be the closest). I haven't listened to The Catastrophist yet
>>
>>64633661
>mum not in god tier
>don cab not listed

do better
>>
File: -:.gif (93 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
-:.gif
93 KB, 480x270
>>64633750
not to be that guy, but both rym and google agree

>>64633730
>mfw u dont adore sigur ros

>>64633780
I despise Mogwai's newer stuff, but there are some really fantastic, weird tracks on Happy Songs for Happy People

>>64633797
yeah has anyone listened to The Catastrophist? I really want it to be good but the reviews have been sorta negative

>>64633816
>múm not in my god tier
yeah but your mum is
>>
File: 1457480726641.jpg (40 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
1457480726641.jpg
40 KB, 400x402
>>64633661
>EITS above all of those better bands

Also missing some great bands like Caspian, Bark Psychosis, The Sea and Cake, and Do Make Say Think, all of which are better than EITS
>>
>>64633867
I just noticed you had Caspian but how can you not like them and like so many medicore bands more?
>>
>>64633896
>>64633867
I'm a sucker for impressionism idgaf. How Strange, Innocence is such a devastatingly emotional album dude

Yeah DMST and Sea and Cake are actually p good too. pleb admission: haven't gotten around to Bark Psychosis
>>
One of those bands that rewards relistening.
>>
>>64633236
the S/T album was so groundbreaking, a completely new sound.

MNLWND was great but a placefiller ultimately just because the pacing of it was so weird. Starting it with a 15 minute slow song with random edits is not conducive to settling in to listen to an LP, even if that song is great.

TNT was the culmination, the masterpiece. I set My Face to the Hillside is my favorite.

I listened to the new one a few times. I was put off by the vocals and that cover of Hey Kid Rock n Roll or however it's called, even though it's a good version and I like that song.
>>
>>64633844
If youre gonna post toe then you might as well post half of all the math-rock bands out there while youre at it.
>>
>>64633844
>yeah has anyone listened to The Catastrophist?

it was in the sharethread when it came out. I gave it a few spins but this is my post >>64635026
(forgot the name but yeah)
>>
TNT was Tortoise's greatest and their last worthwhile moment. The band sucks shit now.
>>
>>64633236
Fucking love TNT absolute GOAT
>>
>>64634215
>haven't gotten around to Bark Psychosis
that's the best band listed in there, you're missing out
>>
>>64633661
>GYBE
>not elder god tier
nigga what the fuck
>>
>>64637012
Standards is pretty good too. It's at least on par with s/t if you believe that TNT and Millions are the top 2.
>>
>tfw millions is 2deep4 /mu/
oh well
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.