[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got a few records, and I'm desperate to play them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
I've got a few records, and I'm desperate to play them, but I don't want to get them mangled in an Urban Outfitters Crosley, is it worth just holding out until I can get a £1000+ setup or should I start small and upgrade as I go? Anyone recommend a turntable + amp + speaker combo?

Share setups and collections too.
>>
You can get a used Technics for way less than that.

As long as the tonearm has a counterweight it's not going to fuck up your record. If you buy used then purchase a new cartridge if you're that concerned.

Audiophilia is full of diminishing returns anyway. I forget how much your bong dollars are worth, but a 1,000GBP setup isn't going to sound twice as good as a 500GBP one. You don't have to spend that much.
>>
>>64628040
>Anyone recommend a turntable + amp + speaker combo?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/essential-2/proj-essential-2-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-am1/camb-topaz-am1-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/tannoy/mercury-vri/tann-merc-vri-sug-ma
>>
>>64628177
also, nice delta sleep record, met those guys after the show in bristol at a TWIABP show and they all seemed chill as hell

you going to ArcTanGent this year? both them and Godspeed are playing, and deafheaven played last year too
>>
>>64628088
Counterweight = always good is a fallacy, it all comes down to tracking weight. There are plenty of budget players without counterweights that won't fuck your shit up because they're balanced correctly on the production line.

Crosleys help perpetuate the myth because they're cheap as shit ceramic cartridges with no balancing, so they come in with a tracking weight in excess of 6 grams which is basically like taking a steak knife to your records.
>>
>>64628177
That amplifier doesn't have a phono input pal
>>
>>64628040
I have a ~$300 Uturn Orbit Plus and it's been great so far.
>>
>>64628224
OP here, I was at that gig too lad (where I picked up the record)
>>
>>64628289
arctangent is a bit out of my pricey, might be able to scrape the pennies together by then though!
>>
>>64628289
>>64628321
oh that's cool as fuck lad, i may have drunkenly fallen into you because i may have had several too many whiskeys and I do recall falling on about 4 different people, and then flirting really badly with the keyboard player from TWIABP. good times

if you haven't been before I'd highly recommend ATG, it's my favourite festival. chill as fuck, great music, people are lovely, food is amazing, literally no down sides unless you only like big festivals.
>>
>tfw I accidentally buyed a LP-60 instead of a LP-120
my life is over
>>
>>64628510
LP60 is acceptable as a barebones baseline starter player lad

Just upgrade as soon as you can
>>
>>64628040
I used a Technics SL-Q2 for years before upgrading to my Rega.
just look in garage sales / flea markets / thrift stores for an old 70s table. Some are a lot better than others but if it has a counter weight and anti scatting you are probably good to go. You can probably get a good table and a Grado Black for about $200 that will be a world better than any new table in that price range.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.