[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Mysteries in music The nature of the custom instrument(s,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: phillips.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
phillips.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
ITT: Mysteries in music

The nature of the custom instrument(s, possibly) that Washington Phillips in all his actual recordings is unknown. While this one publicity photo of him shows recognized instruments, the ones featured in his recordings go unidentified, as they do not match the sounds capable of being produced by the instruments used in his one photo.
>>
>>64619500
Weird
>>
ready n steady
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_%27n%27_Steady
>>
>>64619500
What a god
>>
http://wgo.signal11.org.uk/html/extras/aynil.htm

I'm split on this one myself
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Enger

Zephyrous' whereabouts
>>
>>64619569
Man, I always thought it was John, but am no longer sure.
>>
>>64619500
is he really black?
>>
>>64619764

>Gospel blues musician

Gee anon, I don't know.
>>
>>64619764
I don't think so. cameras were different back then.
>>
>>64619764
yes
>>
>>64619546
Fuck I love that story... So spooky
>>
>>64619500
whats so spooky about some homemade instruments?
>>
>Sullivan left Los Angeles on March 4, 1975, to drive to Nashville alone in his Volkswagen Beetle. The next day, after being cautioned by a highway patrol over his driving, he checked in to the La Mesa Motel in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Later reports suggest he did not sleep there, and left his key inside the room, but bought vodka at the town store. He was seen the following day about 26 miles away, at a remote ranch owned by the Gennetti family. His car was later found abandoned at the ranch, and he was reportedly last seen walking away from it. The car contained Sullivan's money, papers, guitar, clothes, and a box of his unsold records.[4][5][7]

>He was never seen again, and reports have variously attributed his disappearance to being murdered, becoming disoriented and lost, or (particularly in the light of the title of his first album), alien abduction. Search parties failed to find any trace of him. A decomposed body resembling Sullivan was later found in a remote area several miles away, but was determined not to be his.

Was it ayyliens? His one album was called U.F.O Cassette btw
>>
>>64619831

Nothing. It's just a mystery.
>>
>>64619500
Couldn't it just be that it was recorded strangely and made the instrument sound different?

Also, wtf is that instrument?
>>
>>64619852
>His one album was called U.F.O Cassette btw
nvm it was just U.F.O lmao
>>
>>64619785
lol weird
>>
the biggest mystery is how anybody could think that Radiohead are good
>>
>>64619764
now this is a real mystery
>>
>>64619890
wew lad
>>
>>64619863

Celestaphone and Phonoharp. Two very old instruments that can be quite expensive.

As for recording, that could be possible due to the lo-fi nature, though the playing style and progressions seem wrong for said identified instruments. People haven't been able to really replicate it, even if covering Phillips is a relatively popular thing to do.
>>
>>64619890
THREAD DERAILED BY LOCAL MEMESTER

More at 11
>>
>>64619926
Very strange. I'll have to listen when I get home tonight
>>
>>64619742
I DID NOT KNOW THIS
>>
>>64619790
Doesn't seem spooky to me. Obviously the folks at Billboard thought it would be a good laugh to make a fake record and have collectors in complete confusion. It isn't that hard to make a fake album title with a believable artist and cover, people on this board do it literally every day.
>>
>>64619957
It's some of the most beautiful 16 songs ever laid to tape, you're in for a treat.

>>64619500
>Phillips originally recorded 18 tracks but only 16 survived
>tfw you will never hear the other two
>>
>>64619995
He probably wrote a lot more songs that he never got a chance to record. People back then had no idea how important recorded music would be in the future, so there are thousands of potentially beautiful songs that nobody will ever hear again.
>>
>>64619500
apparently one of the instruments he used, the dulceola, was some sort of homemade zither, probably a fretless, or chord, zither
>>
Remember back when Jandek was a mystery? Good times, I miss them tisue senpai
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTSBOpwWmGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=XyhmDYLXFto

Here's a good one. These are two recordings of Arthur Miles, the first Western singer to independently discover and record throat singing.

There is no history about him aside from these recordings. All that is known is that he was a Texan and recorded these songs in the 1920's.
>>
>>64621076

holy shit this was awesome. really cool to hear throat singing in a super western, major key folk song type melody. gives me ideas desu
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.