[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that I'm done with the semester, I need to find a new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 1450240944057.jpg (43 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
1450240944057.jpg
43 KB, 720x544
Now that I'm done with the semester, I need to find a new occupation, something to where I can reorient my time. Naturally, my thought was music.

So far I've a few pages' worth of lyrics. If someone could offer constructive criticism, I'd appreciate it.

I suppose this thread can serve as a general for lyrics-in-progress.
>>
What instruments do you play Unty?
>>
>>64618198
unty plays the skin flute
>>
>>64618198
Presently, I clarinet, and I occasionally make noise. I'm thinking about picking up guitar over the summer, though I don't want to spend too much money.

>>64618219
Fuck off. You've no purpose here.
>>
>>64618242
*Presently, I play clarinet
>>
>>64618187
Lyrics are just the icing. Do you actually have a cake in terms of music?
>>
I thought you said you weren't gonna post on /mu/ anymore, unty.
>>
>>64618324
I have a musical concept that I would like to explore, but it's still much too premature for me to post for criticism.

>>64618339
I have nowhere else to go.
>>
>>64618242
I highly recommend you learn guitar if you want to become a singer/songwriter. Clarinet isn't gonna cut it.
>>
>>64618449
I'd never intended to become a singer-songwriter, but at this point it'd be a disservice to pigeonhole and limit myself to one region, I suppose.
>>
>>>/r9k/

Back to your containment board, omega scum.
>>
>>64618386
Youre here forever
>>
Here's something:

>bar was always set low me,
>but I loafed around and still failed to meet.
>instead, greeted red sheets,
>then reached for more,
>(these of the bleached and pallid kind),
>until, instrument in hand, I leave
>pencil dick impalements on the page
>penning heavy handed strokes to fantasies, phantoms,
>and infinitely insipid shit,
>spine to tip,
>until I explode at the hips
>and call it wack rhetoric

Tell me what you guys think. I'm not a particularly seasoned poet.
>>
>>64618812
My setup is whatever I believe suffices for my expression.

My last recording session consisted of me turning on my phone's voice recorder, wrapping it in aluminum foil, putting it in a ziplock bag, putting it in my tub before finally taking a shower and providing the occasional vocal.

I was quite pleased.
>>
>>64618946
I'm uploading it.
>>
>>64618946
>>64619052
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tkgrs4p9Cz
>>
>>64619195
>I use a contact mic in a bag of rocks and ebow my lap steel with some effects pedals for melodic textures
That's what I love about noise so much.

At times, it feels like it's all an exploration of the most contrived, unorthodox and sometimes even grotesque means of making music.

How long have you been making noise? How much did the setup cost, if you can recall?
>>
source of OP's pic?
>>
bring back nochella u turd
>>
>>64618804
Reads like pretty typical hipster coffee shop poetry. Maybe with a bit more pathos than the usual.
Keep it up though, you're an interesting lad and you could probably end up writing some pretty interesting shit.
>>
>>64619576
>look into getting a little cheap used microcassette
Definitely. It'll be among the first things I investigate upon my return home.

Do you have any previous recordings you'd like to share?

>>64619638
OK. Thank you.
>>
>>64618812
>>64618946
>>64619195
>>64619576
>>64619791
So I guess you got banned.
>>
>>64620388
Yeah lol jannie is being a twat.
>>
>>64618187
are you Indian
>>
You should kill yourself you waste of space.
>>
>>64621389
I'm black.

>>64621683
Neat. You should contribute an original song lyric.
>>
I don't know why people here hate you so much unty, but my attempt at constructive criticism is this: unless your philosophy is to embrace pessimism, I would work towards being more down-to-earth. I used to write tons of heady poetry for years, and after sharing it with others (thankfully, positive groups irl, not this shithole of an online "community"), I learned that I was gratifying my desire to be admired far more than i was helping myself or anyone else through my art.

Sure, it seems like sincerity is often cliché, corny, uninformed, jaded, whatever. But ditching convention doesn't mean you have to be abstract. Use tangible objects instead of broad ideas, less metaphors, real names, descriptive verbs. Go the extra mile after ditching convention, to communicate as effectively as you can. Good luck. I hope you find peace with yourself.
>>
>>64621989
I really appreciate this response.
>>
>>64618648
I feel like mu is getting more like r9k everyday though.
>>
I like you too unty I think you're a cool guy.
>>
>>64619419
Onii sama e
>>
>>64622238
Glad to hear it. I think people who are sincere in spite of being surrounded by irony, and humanitarian in spite of being surrounded by hostility, are really valuable. It seems to take a lot of work, but worthwhile work.

Oh yeah, as far as learning guitar goes, I'd say learn technique as it applies to a song. If you consider learning covers to corrupt your sense of creativity, I would argue the opposite. If you've ever heard the sentiment of learning the rules before being able to break them, that's one reason. Another reason is that learning an instrument seems tough to keep up with unless you apply every rudimentary technique you learn immediately; e.g. an alternate fingering on the clarinet. I've heard teachers express the same thing.

I would also suggest learning theory in any way you can, whether it be via classical, jazz or rock. A teacher definitely helps.

I've been playing guitar for 5 years, saxophone for 8, drums for 6, and I've had lessons here and there for each instrument, but I'm mostly self-taught. Teachers can be a great help, but they do push you to work hard. Whether you get your money's worth depends on a lot of factors, so don't feel like you have to. I understand not being able to afford it. (I can barely afford it now, since I pay rent/bills/groceries/gas)
>>
>I think people who are sincere in spite of being surrounded by irony, and humanitarian in spite of being surrounded by hostility, are really valuable
Couldn't agree more, though I've ways to go in that regard.

The suggestions relating to learning guitar make sense. I'm familiar with the premise of "learning the rules before breaking them," thanks to one of my old english professors. I've no problem with covering other songs as practice at first.
>>
>>64623096
Learning by ear is also valuable. Whatever instruments you have at hand, including your voice, you should use to learn songs by simply listening. It goes a long way. Also, it can be really enjoyable.

Learning complex pieces/solos by ear is more difficult, but great material for learning how to transcribe. You might find yourself replaying parts of a recording, but it's commonly done. Later on, these skills help you create original music much quicker.

A buddy of mine (who's also a /mu/tant) also makes noise, but he composes with midi software too, and crowdsources his "studio musicians" for free. Just some ideas.
>>
>>64623096
Oh and if you want to progress lyrically, I highly recommend joining a creative writing club. I've been in 2 so far after high school, which really helped me progress. I also started a small facebook group with a friend back in high school and it's still going, even though it's less than 100 people and posts have died down, but these things helped. Made some really cool friends through it during hs. I also joined a positive group for poetry, although it was full of teen girls (pejoratively referred to by edgelords as tumblrinas) but if you actively hate them, I think you got mental issues to sort out. You don't have to like others' art to be part of a group. As long as it's a positive influence, I say embrace it.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.